Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

V8 Disk Upgrades - (not so) Important Note
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have to say, I noticed no difference to ride quality, handling or mpg. I ran 19" rims when the V8 front discs were fitted and later switched to 18" rims (all shod with ATR's) I happen to prefer the ride with the 18"'s.

I've used HDC with both sizes of rim, no noticeable difference at all.

Post #86487029th Nov 2011 2:03 pm
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Victor Meldrew

I dont beleive it !

Embarassed

Thats about the only benefit of having a Manual !
Because i came across from the Defender2 forum and because i wanted to be manly i demanded manual Rolling with laughter

Upon reflection i would much rather have an auto for the more sedate driving experience !
in traffic i,m up and down the box like a fiddlers elbow Censored
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #86487129th Nov 2011 2:03 pm
BrewMonkey

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

wvlenthe wrote:
This is actually quite a simple one... pressure in the air suspension system will tell it... difference front & back will give weight distribution front & back axle.

A fair assumption, but I have a nagging suspicion that it doesn't work this way. I could be completely wrong though.

ent wrote:
Just to throw my two pence worth in to the mix surely the ABS ECU will account for any increase or decrease in braking power and adjust accordingly i.e when discs and pads are new you dont lock up any easier than you did just before you changed them?

That's right and why I suspect the brake size parameter will have a small effect on the efficiency of the traction control algorithms. What I was trying to say in my post was that many vehicle systems have a closed loop target value and by definition this will itself compensate for any extra external factors by increasing or decreasing whatever actuation it has control over. Take the suspension height control as a simple example. It doesn't need to know how heavy the vehicle is - it just needs to know that the set point (target height) is 'x' units from the actual height and it knows it can actuate the compressor to get to the set point and not much else. Same with a braking system - ultimately the system can actuate the pistons and it will do this by modulating brake line pressure on individual wheels in whatever clever ways it can up to its physical maximum limit. At the end of the day, whether you have new pads/discs or old ones, it will still use the vehicle dynamics input to predict breaking of traction and be pretty good at it within the system constraints i.e. you may take a bit longer to stop, but you won't skid (just like the compressor will take longer to get a heavy vehicle up to the height set point, but it will get there).

I'll have look for some recent white papers on traction control and post the links if I find them.

I forgot to say that I used Bodsy's brake bible when changing my discs and pads. Cheers mate - made it very simple, especially the EPB Thumbs Up
 '08 LR3 V8 SE in Stornoway Gray, Alpaca interior. Xenons, Cold Weather Pack, Bluetooth & Sirius. General Grabber AT2s. EBC Sport Rotors & Green Stuff Pads, Traxide SC80 kit half fitted...
'11 Mini Cooper S Countryman, True Blue. 

Post #86487329th Nov 2011 2:05 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks Thumbs Up

Have to say, this is one of the most interesting threads in a while. Great contributions all Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #86487529th Nov 2011 2:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

So, if I'm running RRS Brembo's on the front and V8 on the rear................................. whats the CCF setting again??

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #86488429th Nov 2011 2:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

it would be 19 and 18 by minimum wheel size. although the car won't accept it, gives errors atm.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #86488629th Nov 2011 2:37 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Bodsy wrote:

Have to say, this is one of the most interesting threads in a while. Great contributions all Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Yes thanks for the reply from BBS and Brewmonkey ...overall I agree that if you can change the CCF.. then why not Thumbs Up I guess somewhere in Gaydon there's a cabinet with a file in it labled something like "system architecture diagram" that would answer our queries ....but it's good to throw thoughts about Thumbs Up Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 29th Nov 2011 3:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #86490129th Nov 2011 3:11 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

al cope wrote:
So, if I'm running RRS Brembo's on the front and V8 on the rear................................. whats the CCF setting again??

Al

Is this what your running? I'd have thought (prior to reading this thread perhaps) that was a great set up.

Post #86490229th Nov 2011 3:11 pm
al cope

England 

It isnt right now (just winding Bodsy up), but an ex forum member (who is now down under) was on his D3 S. Was a really nice setup, work carried out by JE in cov, but easy enough to do yourself. Just make sure you get the correct Brembo front calipers (as ther are some that look the same but dont have the harmonic dampers), and of course, a minimum 19" rims to clear them.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #86491029th Nov 2011 3:31 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BrewMonkey wrote:
wvlenthe wrote:
This is actually quite a simple one... pressure in the air suspension system will tell it... difference front & back will give weight distribution front & back axle.

A fair assumption, but I have a nagging suspicion that it doesn't work this way. I could be completely wrong though.

I am not in the know about LR, just making an assumption. It does work this way on HGV's though. There is an issue in our country involving HGV's exceeding the maximum axle load on the rear axle of a tractor, whilst tractor front and all trailer axles are under the max load and the total vehicle mass is under the maximum. The load on the tractor axle is measured using the pressure on the (air) suspension bellows.
I would not be surprised if the D3 uses this value as an input somewhere too.

@Chalky,
I cannot imagine how changing brake discs would influence the ride quality, unless you have (had to) change to a bigger rim size. The lower sidewalls of the belonging tyres may cause the effect you experience.

Regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #86492629th Nov 2011 4:09 pm
LT

al cope wrote:
It isnt right now (just winding Bodsy up), but an ex forum member (who is now down under) was on his D3 S. Was a really nice setup, work carried out by JE in cov, but easy enough to do yourself. Just make sure you get the correct Brembo front calipers (as ther are some that look the same but dont have the harmonic dampers), and of course, a minimum 19" rims to clear them.

Al

When I bought my D3 in 2006, the cost of the RRS Brembo brakes was really cheap. I so nearly bought them from TLO, but at the time I had always changed my vehicle every 2-3 years so didn't bother. If only my crystal ball hadn't broken Sad

Now, LR have massively hiked the cost of the Brembo's and also I'm really enjoying driving on 18" rims.

Post #86493929th Nov 2011 4:31 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have to say that i concur entirely with Brewmonkey in respect of the significance of the CCF parameter brake type fitted value, in fact i would go so far as to suggest that there may even be a short term adaptive memory correlating applied brake force applied with deceleration measured by the Yaw rate sensor.

That would account for most of the unmeasurable factors and be or major use in any predictive algorithm.

Post #86500329th Nov 2011 7:21 pm
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

interesting stuff. did wonder about the disk size settings in the ccf
will try confusing my V8 by changing to smaller ones when i get chance - and report back on error messages etc
r
ian

Post #86510129th Nov 2011 10:18 pm
hids4u

ok just spent last hr in my cold basement checking this out - first 30min was trying to find the faultmate Big Cry

I have V8 with 18inch brakes

The HDC fault and all the rest comes up if i change to 17 or 19 inch

while i was at it i tried to turn off the follow me home lights. I cant find this setting - any ideas anyone

Post #8679416th Dec 2011 11:23 pm
hids4u

did you find way to get ccf to accept this on the 2.7TD?

Post #87303419th Dec 2011 8:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >