Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fuel Gauge Accuracy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ecosse

Fuel Gauge Accuracy

Fuel gauge warning light came on after 302 miles from brimming it - am geting 19.4mpg, so on a 20 gal tank would have thought range would be almost 400 miles - so is the warning liht coming on with 80/90 miles ie over 4 gals left (or almost 1/4 tank)?, yet the gauge is showing empty not 1/4! Is this itentional? BTW, it also for the first time also brought up the fuel stations as POI's on the sat nav automatically! (rather useful)

Post #40829th Jan 2005 7:08 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine did 410 before the light came on yesterday. At this point the range meter said I had 100 miles left.

Within 20 miles it was down to zero miles and I filled it. It took 81 litres, which means it was very nearly out of fuel!

I think the low fuel warning comes on too late. My sat nav only puts poi petrol station on when I have got it showing the dual map function, and it shows the petrol stations in the right hand map panel. I am not sure about this, as I think poi petrol station may have already been on.

I have noticed that the nav warns you when you enter a journey that exceeds the fuel range with a message "Insufficient Fuel to complete journey"

The trip computer on D3 is different from other cars I have driven, In that it only has a trip distance of 1000 miles, then it resets all the calculations to zero. This means that the fuel consumption is only a short term average. On other cars the computer distance can run to many 1000's of miles, enabling the computer to work out a better overall average fuel consumption, and therefore a more accurate range calculation.

Post #41229th Jan 2005 7:29 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If I add the range and the trip numbers (I always zero the trip at fill up - not trip computer - i.e the one under the total miles reading) I generally get a total tank range of around 530-540 miles. Sometimes more if my trips are longer motorway and A road based.

Trip computer averages 27.8 MPG (at a rough guess).

Use the new Esso Energy System diesel (just arrived in my local station) - 80.9p per litre. Used to use BP Ultimate diesel as this always gave me extra miles in the Audi and also more power.

I think the new Esso Energy System is supposed to do the same as the BP fuel but is waaay cheaper !

Supermarket fuel (cheap) never gives me this extra range and I think is not too good on emissions long term according to recent magazine articles due to its lower spec composition.

Post #41429th Jan 2005 8:44 pm
Pelyma

England 

I get around a 500 mile range too, I only use main brands - mainly Shell and Esso

Post #42130th Jan 2005 10:59 am
Ecosse

Gareth - the fuel station POI's on mine are showing on the left ie main screen - seems they are bck to front from your sat nav! I just wish there was soe way of seeing "version numbers" fro the various software systems on the car, as it might go a long way to explaining the diferences in different vehicles. I'll keep my fingers crossd that my fuel warning is pessimistic!! - only 320 miles run so must surely be a few gallons left! Simon - I'll give your tip of the Esso fuel a shot, I seem to recall years ago a Cosworth that gave much better economy on high octane petrol than on standard supermarket fuel so this may be the same

Post #42330th Jan 2005 11:20 am
simon

Its the new 'Blue' branded Energy System fuel that seems to be cropping up now. Pricing at my local station mirrors that of the local supermarket so maybe I get a good deal because of this ?

Anyway... I have not done any anorakee testing but it does appear to increase my range by a good 30 plus miles.

-s

Post #42430th Jan 2005 11:25 am
Outrageous

The light is supposed to come on when 18 liters remain for diesel or 10 liters for petrol.

Post #44131st Jan 2005 4:12 am
Outrageous

The above info is from the LR tech manual that is posted on this site. The North America Owner's Manual states that the light comes on with 3 gal. or 12 liters of fuel (petrol).

Post #44231st Jan 2005 4:36 am
Ecosse

Outrageous - thanks, yes the Owner Manual here only gives a quantity for petrol!, but your figure for diesel seems likely based on the mileage done & known fuel consumption - here's hoping as I have been driving for 20 miles since the light came on and 10 miles since the fuel computer showed "0" miles range!! - I'm away to fill up with diesel rather than push my luck further!

Post #44531st Jan 2005 8:32 am
Ecosse

Having had the fuel warning light come on at just over 300 miles, I have run to 324 miles, but on refuelling (same station, same pump!) I needed 83.38l/18.34gals ie there was only 2.62l / 0.66gal left based on the 86l/19gal specification. But, that means I have only got 17.7mpg out of a diesel (auto)! – not really in line with the marketed “urban” figure. Also, this flags up that the fuel warning light is coming on with only about 30 miles range or about 1.5 gals left – the manual suggest 3 gals (but does refer to the petrol engine). At least the petrol station POI’s came up on the Sat Nav this time!! – only they have remained there after refuelling whereas I would have expected them to disappear from the screen automatically!
Anyone else run their tank down to the warning light yet to confirm this?

Post #46631st Jan 2005 5:17 pm
simon

Ran my tank to the yellow light and filled her up in the past... gave me a range of 560 or something close. This went down to a more realistic number as I blasted up the hill the filling station is on.

Still seem to get 530-40 per tank by adding the odometer trip and the range.

-s

Post #46731st Jan 2005 5:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >