DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Wet Carpets
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
rodber1

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Wet Carpets

Dear All

Before I start I have found this forum extremely useful and now find the need for my first post so here goes!

I have a D3 TDV6 S, 06 plate.

I have soaking wet front carpets, which despite constant drying keep getting wet. I can also hear a very distinct sloshing of water in the sills when stopping.

I have had the windscreen replaced and the chap said that he thought the previous one was fitted correctly. I do not have a sunroof so it can't be blocked drain tubes. I have also checked the pollen filter behind the glovebox and it's dry as a bone. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help/advice will be very gratefully received!!!

Cheers!

Post #8552955th Nov 2011 8:19 am
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The sloshing you can hear will mean most likely that the cable runs either side by the cills that run front to back have water in them, you really need to dry this, there is hundreds of wires in there and leaving it could possibly give you major headaches later, if you lift the black plastic land rover cill covers you will find black plastic duct covers on each side you need to lift theese and dry the channels out, they are fiddly to get out but it can be done. As for the scource, it could be anything from windscreen to missing grommet or I've read it could be air on pipes. I'm sure someone will post some helpfully pointers.

Hope you get it sorted without too much pain

Andy
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #8553005th Nov 2011 8:52 am
rodber1

Cheers Andy...Thanks for that....

Just spent the morning syphoning out quite a lot of water from the sills as you kindly suggested....as well as squeezing out as much water as possible from the absolutely sodden insulation under the carpet...a few days of dehumidifier should also help. Anyone got any other tips to get the carpets dry?

Post #8553715th Nov 2011 3:02 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You say the windscreen has been replaced, were the clips on the external A pillar trims replaced?

There are a series of holes in the A pillar that these clip into, each clip should have a little foam sealing ring so the holes are blocked, if any are missing it allows water into the pillars and down into the sills & footwells.
 Clive

Post #8553765th Nov 2011 3:32 pm
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

What crwoody said - I think A-pillar trim sounds the most likely cause.

I just replaced our nearside trim which was slightly lifted from the bottom of the screen - causing passenger footwell to get damp.

Bought clips initially (from TLO for a fiver) but when I removed the trim the location area for one of the clips was borked. Following another call to TLO, a new a-pillar trim piece arrived in the post (these include all clips pre-fitted) - approx £25 for the whole piece.

Problem solved.

I'd recommend buying both (sides) personally.

Post #8553775th Nov 2011 3:44 pm
rodber1

I will have to check the a frame trims but I had read about making sure that new clips for the a frame were used. I specifically asked the windscreen man about this and he assured me that new clips would be used. As I said I will check them myself but I think the problem lies a bit deeper.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep u all posted.

Rob

Post #8553835th Nov 2011 4:36 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Even if new clips have been used the thin rubber seals on the back of them really are at best a token gesture to keep the wet out.

It's worth re-installing them with a squirt of flexible sealant to make sure, and ensuring that all the holes have been plugged. From menmory there is one at the top that doesn't actually have a clip fitted, but instead should have a circle of sticky plastic over it.

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #8553865th Nov 2011 4:52 pm
rodber1

just taken the a trims off and indeed new clips were used and can't see why so much water is getting in.....it's been a week since I syphoned out the front sills and the water has returned...the front carpets are not just damp but absolutely wringing wet again...

I personally can't see any option apart from taking it to the garage and seeing if they can source the problem and sort it...and also as the 105,000 mile cam belt service is now due they might as well deal with that as well at the same time! Could be expensive!!

Devon 4 x 4 here I come!

Post #85797812th Nov 2011 12:32 pm
JPW

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I had a similar problem after a new windscreen was fitted. After investigation it ended up being the seal under the scuttle panel (if that's what the plastic panel at the bottom of the screen is called) that was leaking.

It might be worth a check?

Paul

Post #85800012th Nov 2011 1:43 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

rodber1 wrote:
Anyone got any other tips to get the carpets dry?

Had similar issues, and the insulation can hold alot of water, started of with folding towels and placing under the carpet and then moved onto news papers under the carpet and changing these for dry ones every day.
Will probably take a few weeks to be get bone dry in this weather but Ideally you need to find the source first.

Lee

Post #85803212th Nov 2011 3:15 pm
Darryl

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Had same here Sad parked on very steep hill so all water runs to the back or front and the siphoned it out ,tried all what you mentioned and dried out carpets bit by bit sponge hair dryer etc not so bad now tfc sealed scuttle panel last service Thumbs Up try that Whistle

Post #85805312th Nov 2011 4:16 pm
rodber1

I had the scuttle panel off this morning whilst trying to find the problem...bearing in mind the windscreen has just been replaced there was no sealant under it against the new windscreen...is there meant to be?

Post #85815512th Nov 2011 8:02 pm
rodber1

Dear All

It seem that it was caused by blocked air con drain tubes....hopefully problem solved...now to get the carpets dry!!

Cheers
Rob

Post #86457428th Nov 2011 7:55 pm
jum649

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Glad you've got there - are car that leaks is a pita. I've had these block before on another car - where are they situated on the D3?

Post #86458628th Nov 2011 8:20 pm
warrenkerrigan

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Fingers crossed this is solved now. If not, or if anyone else has the problem, I have another take on it.

It happened in my car, whenever it was parked pointing down hill and it rained. It turned out the two drains in the sunroof were blocked at the front and they overflowed...down the side pillars and ended up on the floor. Took a while to find it.

Very simple to fix, a big pipe cleaner did the job.

I only mention it in case anyone else has the same problem and the above fix isn't it.

Warren

Post #8661052nd Dec 2011 1:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >