Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rear Camber and Tyre wear.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Rear Camber and Tyre wear.

I’ve been a bit concerned to find that my lovely Grabber AT’s have worn really badly on the inside edge on the rear, so have been doing some investigating.

Knowing I’d probably have to put it in for alignment I thought it best to check some things first.

The rear upper arm bushes appear to be in very good nick when ‘persuaded’ with a crow bar, despite the 111K miles the car has done. I did however soak the bolts in WD40, and plan to get some Plus Gas to put on them every time I have the wheels off in the future.

I thought I’d better see if the adjustment bolts were free to turn in order to save time at the alignment process.
Unfortunately they are both completely siezed, and won’t turn once the nut has been removed, so I can’t put it in for alignment until I’ve freed them off.
The head of the drivers side one wouldn’t move with a 2ft breaker bar, so I didn’t go any further in case I sheared the head off and left me stuck without a car for work tomorrow.

Is this bush and Bolt available separately? And does anyone have any images of how it all fits together?
I’ll probably end up cutting the bolt somehow, but would like to see how it all goes together before I start.

I’m lucky enough to have a garage floor that is VERY flat and level, testament to the builders that laid it, and has proved very useful in the past, so I thought I’d do some rudimentary Camber measurements.
I know these are never going to be very accurate, but my findings reflect very well the tyre wear I’m seeing.

The Passenger side I measured at @-0° 55’
The Drivers side I measured at @-1°14’

Bearing in mind I believe the Camber should be between -0°10’ and -0°20’ at normal ride height, and my Drivers side tyre has worn more on the inside edge than the Passenger side they are probably reasonably accurate. At least I know I’ll be able to set them quite close before putting it in for alignment.

So just need to sort out the seized adjustment bolts/bushes.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #85310930th Oct 2011 2:01 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If only you had asked yesterday. I had the body off a Disco doing a heap of work to it, including upper arms and bushes Rolling Eyes

Anyway, quite common for the camber adjusting bolt to seize in the upper bush. Sometimes they can be persuaded out with a hammer, other times the bolts need cut

There is a tool for removing and refitting the new bush. Personally, I hammer them out, and had a suitable drift machined up and hammer it back in again Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #85311630th Oct 2011 2:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nasher

Thanks DM, I did try a bit of persuasion with a lump hammer but it wouldn't shift.

I've found the part number for the bush RHF500100, can somebody confirm this is right?
Does anyone have the part Number for the bolt?
EDIT would it be Eccentric Bolt RYG000384G with nut RYH500191?

Looks like TLO will be getting a bigger order than just the V8 caliper carriers I was going to call him about tomorrow.

Nasher.
Post #85315030th Oct 2011 4:19 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Those part numbers are correct Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #85325230th Oct 2011 8:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nasher

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Those part numbers are correct Thumbs Up

Ta Muchly Thumbs Up

Nasher.
Post #85325430th Oct 2011 8:03 pm
Hanechdene

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi

I have recently changed the RHS rear upper wishbone.

the adjustment bolt that goes through the knuckle was also seized. I drilled the head off and then wound the nut not spacing it as necessary which drew the remains of the bolt out without damaging the bush. I started with a small bit then ended up using a 12 mm bit. there is a dimple in the middle of the bolt head to centre you up.

good luck!

Post #85325830th Oct 2011 8:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >