Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Can a puncture cause "suspension failure warning"?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rory822

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Can a puncture cause "suspension failure warning"?

Hi there!

I keep meaning to post a non-problem related article, singing the praises of my first 18,000 miles of D3 bliss, but superstition keeps getting in the way. So, in the meantime...

The missus encountered a suspension failure warning a couple of days ago, and phoned to pass on the good news Rolling Eyes before struggling on - sub 30mph - to the nursery to collect the kids.

After this 2 mile journey, she noticed one of the rear tyres was "slightly" flat. LRA bloke arrived fairly promptly Very Happy and he said he'd never heard of a flat causing a suspension warning. But after replacing the flat (by this time it was completely flat, no question) and thrashing around in the car, with much comedy upping & downing, he declared that the suspension was sound.

Has anyone else suffered spurious warnings caused by something seemingly unrelated?

I've read on the forums that other folk have suffered minor problems with tyres deflating and then having them repaired at minor cost. It certainly sounded like a slow puncture in this instance, as the missus claims it wasn't too flat when she stopped driving, so I'd hoped a repair was in order. However, the local tyre emporium claimed it was unrepairable after having been driven on, so she had them fit a new tyre. Can you really damage a tyre if it's not entirely flat?? It certainly didn't look damaged to me at the time. Oh well. The cynic in me says there's a lot more money to be made a new tyre... (255/60/18V, which was £140 fitted, btw)

At least it wasn't the suspension.... yet

Steve
 TDV6 S AUTO | CAIRNS BLUE | SIDE STEPS
3 KIDS | SEAT COVERS ESSENTIAL 

Post #992316th Nov 2006 4:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I suppose it could cause an error, I would keep a close eye on it, it may never happen again. It sounds like the switch off/on sorted it out.

Post #992346th Nov 2006 4:40 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Spurious errors can occur. I've had TR failiure warnings after wading that have come and then gone on after a restart. Yesterday, I did a quick three pointer in the road and 'transmission failiure' came up ....I put this down to changing the auto from forward to reverse whilst sitll going forward. Embarassed

Overall, I think that there is potential for unexpected incidents to throw up an error when there might not be one ....well certainly not a permanent one anyway. The reset procedure has in my experience dealt with the problem without further incident. Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #992376th Nov 2006 4:56 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

It may be because the car is trying to self level and cant cope with a flat or low tyre. All the D3s that went out to Morocco indicated suspension warnings these only occurred whilst on very, very uneven roads whilst travelling at a reasonable lick. The cars however never felt any different in handling. Once stopped and re-started or a rolling re-boot would clear the warning. I carried on driving my car with the warning on for quite some time just to see what would happen, the car just kept going as normal. The fault indication cleared after re-starting at a fuel stop. Wink
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #992786th Nov 2006 7:11 pm
Baldrick

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Didn't read all the text above but saw the title and funnily enough, mate who works for dealer said to me last night to be careful if I got a SLOW puncture as the Air suspension would keep compensating to keep the car level and eventually think there was a fault. It would have to be reset at dealer

Hope this helps. Bed time for me so don't have time to read you whole post Very Happy
 2007 MY Irish spec S+ TDV6  
Post #993567th Nov 2006 12:14 am
rory822

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks for the responses, everyone - sound advice & reassuring Very Happy . The car's been driving fine since the tyre was replaced, so my confidence is slowly returning... let's hope I make it successfully up to Scotland and back this weekend Shocked

To be honest, at 18,000 miles the rest of the tyres are actually starting to look quite worn, especially the front two. Why is it that all the irregular expenses start coming out of the woodwork just before Christmas?!!

Steve
 TDV6 S AUTO | CAIRNS BLUE | SIDE STEPS
3 KIDS | SEAT COVERS ESSENTIAL 

Post #994637th Nov 2006 12:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >