Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Suspension upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

lrd3 Ruud wrote:

@disco duck, 50 mm (or more) is actually what i am looking for so that would be great.
I found the Kings for D3 now, i stopped searching when i didn't find anything at "L" , it doesn't say how much the lift is though.
Did you just changed the springs or dampers as well?
Got you're PM, thanks.

I am gonna send some emails to various suppliers now, see what comes up.

Rudd i just changed the springs OEM dampers are ok and still work. I'm certain you will find the new King Springs are only 30mm lift as opposed to the older 60 mm ones. Thumbs Up My advice would be to go for Old Man Emu springs and if you have a winch you need to think about the stiffer version. If you speak to chriss from Surrey offroad he may be able to advise you more. I've no expirience with the stiffer uprated ones i've just got the "normal" ones and i'm a very happy man Razz EDIT= you will need 4 wheel alignment done after fitting as the camber goes out! pps @50 mm is the same height as off road height for the air suspension

Post #84691713th Oct 2011 9:25 am
lrd3 Ruud

Netherlands 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto BournvilleDiscovery 3

Hmm, funny that, i've send some e mails to various suppliers and got a reply from Kings, saying that they still do 2" lift coils for D3.
Thats a bit confusing, must say that they quoted the HD version as they suggested that would be better since i have a winch, maybe that is the difference.
Or its just the over 50mm that they stopped doing for legal reasons like Rich says.

Have not heard anything yet from the others so, have to wait and see.

Cheers, Ruud Thumbs Up
 Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to see them come true.

MODS:
-TJM-OX 9500 winch, Dyneema winch rope, RLD hidden winch mount, RLD sump guard, RLD rock sliders, 2" OME suspension lift, Traxide dual battery system, B.A.S. remap, B.A.S. fbh controller, Cooper LTZ 285x60 R18, Fog lights, Viair 330 onboard air system, Victron 600watt 220v inverter, FR rear underbody protection (in progress)

Yep, still bits in progress, but we'll get there eventually!! 

Post #84708113th Oct 2011 5:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lrd3 Ruud

Well, i went for the OME 2" lift kit instead of the Kings because i couldnt get a clear answer about lift on the Kings, and the guys who have installed them on there vehicles, seem very pleased with them.
I received them yesterday and wanted to install them today.
Taking the original springs off was easy, even with the "standard" tensioners. (the ones with the hooks)
But the new springs are a different story!! Big Cry
The standard tensioners are no good so i got a more heavier tensioner, 1100 kg rated. (disk type)
It looks like this one is up for the task but it fauls with the dust cap.
The internal diameter of the disk is to small for the dust cap that goes around the shock absorber.
Did you guys kept the dust cap on? or you driving without them?
Does anybody have any idea about which tensioner to use for this, or a better idea all together.
I also tried asking garages for info or for even for them to install the springs but they seem reluctant as i did not buy the springs with them.

I hope somebody out there has an answer Bow down

Thanx, Ruud Thumbs Up
 Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to see them come true.

MODS:
-TJM-OX 9500 winch, Dyneema winch rope, RLD hidden winch mount, RLD sump guard, RLD rock sliders, 2" OME suspension lift, Traxide dual battery system, B.A.S. remap, B.A.S. fbh controller, Cooper LTZ 285x60 R18, Fog lights, Viair 330 onboard air system, Victron 600watt 220v inverter, FR rear underbody protection (in progress)

Post #85198426th Oct 2011 7:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Ruud,
I didn't realise that you would be fitting them yourself. Shocked

I had my King Springs supplied and fitted by a local retailer. King Springs are not only longer, but about 30% stiffer than OEM. I imagine that OME springs are similar.

During the fitting, they broke a spring compressor and had to source a replacement. They no longer fit springs to the D3. Big Cry

I think that you need to go to a fitter familiar with the D3.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #85209527th Oct 2011 1:21 am
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

The rears can be done "DIY" but the front needs a press i found this out when i did mine and ended up in the garage Embarassed

Post #85278629th Oct 2011 10:36 am
lrd3 Ruud

RESULT!!!

Today i had a good result on the second try to get my new springs installed.
If you have the right tools it really is a piece of cake.
In the end i used a hydraulic press to compress the new springs.
Taking the shocks and the springs off is easy, only takes a few minutes.
With the new OME springs i have gained 53 mm in height and it seems a very good ride!
All in all i am very happy with this mod.

Thanx, Ruud Thumbs Up

MODS:

Post #85362831st Oct 2011 7:48 pm
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

Rudd did you go for "normal" or "Heavy duty" springs? Ps best mod so far on my car you will be pleased off road with them Thumbs Up

Post #8537931st Nov 2011 11:00 am
lrd3 Ruud

@ Disco duck, yes mate i went for the standard springs as they dont recomment the heavy duty once because they appear to be to stiff.
I cant wait to try them offroad, they are a great ride on road.
Well, i guess i will find out how they manage offroad in about two weeks, when i have a three day offroad trip. Mr. Green

@Bushwanderer, i didnt dare to carrie on with the spring tensioners either, they started bending badly and decided to stop before worse things happen.
So i too ended in a workshop, although i went to a Land Rover "enthusiast" with his own workshop and lots of heavy tools.

Thanx, Ruud Thumbs Up

MODS:

Post #8541762nd Nov 2011 8:36 am
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

How are you getting on with the springs Rudd Very Happy

Post #85849613th Nov 2011 7:32 pm
lrd3 Ruud

Disco duck wrote:
How are you getting on with the springs Rudd Very Happy

Hi guys,

I am very happy with this mod, it gives a really beter ride on and offroad.
I had a offroad weekend in Belgium last week and it was great!!
Must admit, most of the terain was to heavy not to damage the car to much.

This mod is certainly one of the best i have done.
With this mod i also changed the tires for Cooper LTZ's, perfect, very happy. Very Happy

Thanx again, Ruud Thumbs Up

MODS:

Post #86162421st Nov 2011 6:59 pm
scudetti

Italy 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Lovells lift kit 2'' for Land Rover Discovery 3 S "pack 1"

Hi, I have a LR3 discovery s 2009 with coil suspension.
I'm looking for information on this lift kit.
I want to know if anyone has ever fitted it up, if anyone knows the quality of the Lovells suspension and if you can post the photos of the suspension mounting result.
Thank you.

Post #181889625th May 2017 3:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >