Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

LAW REGARDS D3/D4 TOWING AS OF 4TH DEC 2011 -UPDATE 29/05/12
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 19 <123 45 ... 171819>
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

So, does this mean a small building contractor or landscape gardner will now need an Operators licence to tow a compressor, mini digger, etc?

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over. 

Last edited by Nasher on 7th Oct 2011 11:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8447727th Oct 2011 9:12 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

in short YES or face a £5000 fine and a prohibition order at the roadside with the vehicles impounded Evil or Very Mad

BTW unless you can prove that your vehicles are on constant "standby" for emergency repairs like the utility companies/roadworks vehicles (even though the driver parks it on his driveway or goes shopping in it). Shocked

Post #8447777th Oct 2011 9:52 pm
kingofthesparks

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Nasher wrote:
So, does this mean a small building contractor or landscape gardner will now need an Operators liscence to tow a compressor, mini digger, etc?

Nasher.

is there not a exemption if its tools only ?

Post #8447807th Oct 2011 10:04 pm
character

Unnecessary quote removed
no as its now going to be based upon the train weight of the towing vehicle and its trailer together, therefore if over 3500KG GTW you need a O-licence have it be a "restricted" one for your own tools/equipment etc. Big Cry

Post #8447907th Oct 2011 10:40 pm
THFC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I suppose that means the same for me, Sprinter and catering trailer?? (Hot dogs will be going up in price)
 PRIDE OF NORTH LONDON
AUDERE-EST-FACERE 

Post #8447997th Oct 2011 11:33 pm
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Does the tacho rule still aply for occasional use close to home? Or are we gonna need a tacho as well as an o licence? Think it will be easy money if they sit outside a builders merchant in the mornings then. Confused

Post #8448048th Oct 2011 12:22 am
Monkeyhanger

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Whilst I object to conforming to any rules unless I have to I'm going to sit on the fence here and stir a bit.
The Operators licence was introduced for two reasons. Not only to regulate and control those who operate vehicles for a business but the other side is to safeguard the jobs and employment of those legitimately employed in the industry.
I spoke to a friend who runs a haulage company in the North of Scotland who said their industry has been decimated since the introduction of JCB tractors which are capable of travelling more than 40mph and tow great loads. Farmers are using them to tow trailers with heavy plant on, work that would have been done by his own and other's companies and all unregulated by the "O" licence not to mention rebated fuel. They just can't compete.
If you are going to the expense of using a D3 or 4 to tow a trailer and operate as a business then you are clearly a genuine business operator and not the type of person they are after here, more those who are using clapped out vans and trailers, cash in hand, paying no taxes and with little concern to others. However to be fair they have to apply the same rules to everyone.
Whilst you have my sympathy I can see the other side of the coin and think if you are a genuine operator then this will help to insure that your future is protected from those who flaunt the law and nick your trade by undercutting costs.

Post #8448388th Oct 2011 10:12 am
Monkeyhanger

dantheman wrote:
Does the tacho rule still aply for occasional use close to home? Or are we gonna need a tacho as well as an o licence? Think it will be easy money if they sit outside a builders merchant in the mornings then. Confused

My interpretation was "carrying goods for hire or reward". Also the Carrying was to be the main use of the vehicle and trailer. As you only tow a trailer it is like towing equipment or engineering plant and so in my humble opinion you would not need an O licence (but don't quote me on it, I'm not up to date with legislation)

Post #8448408th Oct 2011 10:16 am
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The issue around Fastracs is a big one for the haulage industry, as are issues around employment of Transport Managers. I think the removal of the trailer exemption is one of those classic bits of bureaucratic/halfwitted tidying up of legislation by deskbound idiots who haven't a clue about what the effects will be. Rolling Eyes

I'm not aware the trailer exemption is causing any major compliance issues but they love closing loopholes, usually as they can't remember why it was there to start with.

Come the revolution I wouldn't want to be a banker, politican or Eurocrat! Evil or Very Mad
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #8448478th Oct 2011 10:33 am
stvmor

Isle Of Man 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Having read all the replys i have to admit i am totally confused.
I occasionally tow an IW LM147 which has an ULW of 775kg and according to the manual the EEC kerb weight of the D3 is
2494-2718kg. Taking the highest this gives me a 'train weight' of 3493kg if i understand correctly. So, does this mean i would be exempt from the O licence? If I need the licence then I reckon I will be open to offers for the trailer as, having down loaded the 36pages of the application form I realise my life is too short to be bothered.
I would not describe myself as an operator, I deliver our own manufactured joinery locally to sites two or three times a month. If anybody with more wit than I have could give me an answer i would be most grateful.
 Stvmor  
Post #8448528th Oct 2011 10:40 am
Monkeyhanger

stvmor wrote:
I occasionally tow an IW LM147 which has an ULW of 775kg and according to the manual the EEC kerb weight of the D3 is
2494-2718kg. Taking the highest this gives me a 'train weight' of 3493kg if i understand correctly. So, does this mean i would be exempt from the O licence? If I need the licence then I reckon I will be open to offers for the trailer as, having down loaded the 36pages of the application form I realise my life is too short to be bothered.
I would not describe myself as an operator, I deliver our own manufactured joinery locally to sites two or three times a month. If anybody with more wit than I have could give me an answer i would be most grateful.

Stvmor. Just noticed your profile states you are on The Isle of Man. Do the EEC laws apply in your neck of the woods and do VOSA operate there?

Post #8448608th Oct 2011 11:09 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Not much to do with this issue makes any sense so I'll add a bit more. Where does this put people who volunteer with 4x4 Response groups and might well in the past have towed a trailer to help in an emergency - such as distributing bottled water during an interuption to the public water supply?
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #8448628th Oct 2011 11:15 am
Monkeyhanger

Monkeyhanger wrote:
stvmor wrote:

Stvmor. Just noticed your profile states you are on The Isle of Man. Do the EEC laws apply in your neck of the woods and do VOSA operate there?

Stvmor. Just read up a bit on the net, You show the Manx Flag on your profile and if that's where you are then you're not part of the UK or the EEC but are a UK Dependancy and as such have certain rights. It would take too long to establish what does and doesn't apply to you so I'll butt out and leave it to someone with better local knowledge to answer your last question.

Post #8448658th Oct 2011 11:18 am
Monkeyhanger

Navigator wrote:
Not much to do with this issue makes any sense so I'll add a bit more. Where does this put people who volunteer with 4x4 Response groups and might well in the past have towed a trailer to help in an emergency - such as distributing bottled water during an interuption to the public water supply?

No problem, not for hire or reward. End of story.

Post #8448678th Oct 2011 11:19 am
character

Monkeyhanger wrote:
dantheman wrote:

My interpretation was "carrying goods for hire or reward". Also the Carrying was to be the main use of the vehicle and trailer. As you only tow a trailer it is like towing equipment or engineering plant and so in my humble opinion you would not need an O licence (but don't quote me on it, I'm not up to date with legislation)
You'll need an O licence due to the weights involved, the issue of what you might do with that load is then down to the style of o licence, ie restricted is for your own goods, standard & eu is for everyone else Thumbs Up  
Post #8448688th Oct 2011 11:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 19 <123 45 ... 171819>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >