Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

My D3 smells like a paraffin heater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
eddtheduck

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
My D3 smells like a paraffin heater

I thought the vehicle enhancement program Laughing removed the Fuel Burning Heater functionality. I have an April 06 D3 SE which may be a late 05 spec.

Now the cold weather has set in I don't get heat in the car until it's been running for about 5-7 minutes. When it does let the warm air into the car it smells like a paraffin heater through the vents. In addition it smells similar outside the car at the front (not the usual 'sweet' smell the D3s emissions have).

Is this cause for concern? Can I use the FBH if it is there to preheat the car??
 2008.5 D3 HSE, Stornoway, Ebony
2007 BMW 335iSE - lust for speed satisfied 

Post #983192nd Nov 2006 2:52 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The FBH is still there - you just cannot pre-heat the cabin using the trickery with the radio.

The main purpose of the heater is to provide 1) faster cooling heating - and therefore improved enginer performance and 2) to heat the cabin faster. You should get warm air in 1-2 minutes.

There is a HEVAC upgrade that you need to have done which changes the mappings to avoid fumes being drawn into the cabin. Check with your dealer if this has been done or not on your vehicle - it is not part of the enhancement programme, and is covered by a TSB.

Exterior smell is entirely normal, as is a plume of exhaust from the front near side.

Post #983342nd Nov 2006 3:48 pm
suevite

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Mine just did same thing; first time ever run in cold weather, and all sorts of strange smells coming fomr the front of the car, just as you describe Shocked . I was initially alarmed, but concluded it was a pre heat of some sort. I have the same question: Should this be turned off by LR dealer?

Mine is a March 06 D3, very close to yours in age.
 Don't put it off, go for it!  
Post #983352nd Nov 2006 3:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
suevite

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just read Winger's reply above, and feel that's a big relief! Very Happy No smells at all in the cabin in my case..
 Don't put it off, go for it!  
Post #983372nd Nov 2006 3:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

No - it is working entirely as it should, and doesn't need any form of intervention. Once moving, you won't even notice the fumes. Once the coolant termperature reaches a preset level (75 degs, as I recall) the FBH shuts off.

Post #983382nd Nov 2006 3:55 pm
eddtheduck

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Winger wrote:

Exterior smell is entirely normal, as is a plume of exhaust from the front near side.

Cheers Winger for your detailed reply. If you hadn't answered my question as you did I would have cr@pped myself with the plume of smoke I saw this morning Shocked
 2008.5 D3 HSE, Stornoway, Ebony
2007 BMW 335iSE - lust for speed satisfied 

Post #986183rd Nov 2006 4:46 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I seem to remember a load of posts about this last year around this time as the cold weather moves in. It astounds me that the dealers don't cover this in the handover as it is quite alarming the first time you see the fumes!

It was not mentioned to me in any of my 3 handovers (1 x Freelander and 2 x D3's with FBH)
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #986253rd Nov 2006 4:54 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Being a newbie to diesel engines, please excuse my ignorance. Do other diesel engined vehicles have a FBH? Can't recall ever reading or hearing about them other than here.

Post #986283rd Nov 2006 5:01 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I don't think the dealers or LR themselves know much about them either. God knows why they can't make them work from the keyfob so you can pre-heat your car in the morning, like you can on a BMW X5 or other cars. Surely that is the main advantage of having them fitted.
My RRS TDV6 SE was meant to have one, but it wasn't fitted. Yet other SE models of the same age did. VA's was the same, but he managed to get his dealer to fit one back in.
 Matt  
Post #986353rd Nov 2006 5:27 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

LT wrote:
Being a newbie to diesel engines, please excuse my ignorance. Do other diesel engined vehicles have a FBH? Can't recall ever reading or hearing about them other than here.

Yes, but as an expensive extra and not standard fit like they are on the D3. But then the others allow you to preheat the car in the morning by remote control or a timer, so the car is warm and engine is warm when you get it.
 Matt  
Post #986453rd Nov 2006 5:41 pm
DiscoStu

England 

The main problem is that modern diesel engines are a lot more efficient, and take a long time to warm up. This seriously effects fuel consumption, so the FBH is added to combat this. Other tricks by manufacturers are to switch on front/rear heated screens to load up the engine - without the drivers knowledge.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #986573rd Nov 2006 5:53 pm
Hijack

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

d3matt wrote:
God knows why they can't make them work from the keyfob so you can pre-heat your car in the morning, like you can on a BMW X5 or other cars. Surely that is the main advantage of having them fitted.

Agree 100% ...
Does anyone here know if LR are considering an upgrade at some stage to get this sort of functionality back? Question As I gather it sort of worked in the early cars but was later removed/"upgraded"...

Post #986843rd Nov 2006 7:15 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I know the forum is here to share knowledge, there is TONS of info available if you search for FBH.

2009 model year is when the system will be included as far as I know. My advice is read the posts to learn the history and don't waste time trying to get land Rover to do anything.

Post #986873rd Nov 2006 7:21 pm
Hijack

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks Gareth,
I have been reading this fantastic forum back and forth for few months now and seen many posts about FBH.
Was only trying to fish for info here Whistle to check if there is a chance to upgrade the MY07 D3. I'm about to order, to the keyfob operation as described by d3matt.
Even if the answer is "no" there is no way I'm going to wait for MY09 Laughing

Post #986953rd Nov 2006 8:31 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine worked last year, but not this morning ( 0c ) . Sad or yesterday 2c Confused
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #986973rd Nov 2006 8:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >