DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

mud tyres in winter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Simons17

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
mud tyres in winter

depressing thought but with winter only a few months away

does anyone have experience in running mud tyres for off roading when the weather turns. (ie snow and ice) as it will include some road driving, i am running BFGs. or am i better putting road tyres back on ?

Cheers

Post #82918027th Aug 2011 7:39 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
S n M

In my experience mud tyres work ok when snow gets deeper but are worse than road tyres on a thin smithering of snow and packed snow (and grass slopes). Mud tyres seem better on deep slush than road tyres.
All weather road tyres seem better until it gets really bad.

never tried specific winter tyres
and bar grips just fail everywhere Laughing but leave cool tracks in the snow.
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #82918127th Aug 2011 7:56 am
anglefire

England 

It is reported that winter tyres on a 2WD car are better than all round tyres on a 4WD.

So air temp less than 7'C, put winter tyres on.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #82918327th Aug 2011 8:01 am
Big_Mark

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Which BFG's are you running?

It they are the AT's you can run them al year round. If they are the MT's same story, but on ice they might not be as god as an AT.

Please let me know what tyre and size you are running I am looking fr new shoes!
 "The Apocalypse!" Coming Soon, to a town near you!  
Post #83000630th Aug 2011 4:43 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've used my Goodyears MTR's in the winter and I wouldn't recommend it. The braking distances, especially in the wet, are increased. They're very good in deep fresh snow, but poor on compacted snow and ice.

Post #83001030th Aug 2011 5:00 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I ran STTs all last winter - great in the snow and slush.. but as LT says, not so good in the ice, but then you just have to adjust your driving to compensate Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #83001130th Aug 2011 5:05 pm
kljw

Scotland 
winter tyres

i have micky thomson 305 AT's on my defender that get used all year road. ok on dry roads, ok on wet roads, rubbish on ice (but then all are) but great in snow and slush. shame they will not fit a D4.
 Cheers
Keith 

Post #83001230th Aug 2011 5:05 pm
Simons17

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

thanks guys

Big mark i am running 245/70/17 BFG mud terain KM2 s they are great offroad but wine alot on road

Cheers

Simon

Post #83007930th Aug 2011 8:19 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

LT wrote:
I've used my Goodyears MTR's in the winter and I wouldn't recommend it. The braking distances, especially in the wet, are increased. They're very good in deep fresh snow, but poor on compacted snow and ice.

Really? I found mine cuts through water far better than anything else. Mind you, I have permanently adjusted my driving style with these. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #83008530th Aug 2011 8:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
reggwensie

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

We once ran a club RTV trial on a site with virgin snow all over it. Of the dozen vehicles there, most types of tyres were represented. The results were very interesting, what follows is a bit long winded and doesn't necessarily tell you the best tyre, but it certainly explains which the worst was.

This is an edited excert for an article I wrote for the Scottish Off Road CLub Magazine a few years ago - names haven't been changed to protect the innocent!

Testing SNOW TYRES

Read carefully and you’ll never need to buy another off road magazine again when you’re looking for your next set of tyres, or indeed your next vehicle! Why? Well be patient and you’ll find out……..

It all started on Saturday 11th March. There was snow forecast for Sunday and Sunday was RTV day at Findo Gask. After a call to Scuba and Bob it was decided that if the A9 between Dunblane and Perth was open then the event was on. It was my job to find out…

Sunday 12th March 6.30am. Callum (complete with bright orange plaster cast on his broken hand) and I jumped into the wifes 90, after clearing a foot of snow off the bonnet and tentatively set off for Bridge of Allan and the A9.

We made it to Dunblane and the A9 only to find the road covered deep snow and the southbound lane blocked by three jack-knifed lorries. Things weren’t looking good.

Anyway – back to the tyre test. So we’re poodling up the road at 30, then 40 as the virgin snow wasn’t icy, the BFG AT’s on the 90 giving confidence and plenty of grip. Then just past Auchterarder I momentarily drifted into a deeper bit and one or two waggles later we were facing the wrong way in the fast lane. Not an issue, as we were the only northbound motor on the whole road! So, 265 BFG’s are no good in deep snow – they’re too fat!

Meanwhile Bob had wisely used the less snowy M90 up to Perth and was heading back down the A9 towards Findo Gask. Unfortunately Bob had used up all of his wiseness for that day and soon managed to slide heavily into a tree on the minor road leading up to the site. So, V8 + 235 Machos + showing off to the missus = new wing. The tyre choice is narrowing…

Once on site and setting up I soon became stuck in a muddy bit disguised with snow. Joe 90 appeared and came to the rescue. Except that he got stuck. His aggressive tyres dug down through the snow and through the mud. And he was very stuck.. 205 diamonds on a 90 are no good in soft snow on unfrozen ground. Anyway, I’m sure you can see a pattern emerging here.

We set the courses (much easier than the usual given the conditions), the competitors turned up in large numbers and we started to play. Notable tyre observations are thus:

Suzukis which weigh little more than a bag of sugar with fat tyres are crap in snow! Ask Alan Thomson – his SJ refused to turn a corner all day.

V8 discos on road tyres are fine if you go lightly. In John Pages case, a heavy right foot whilst climbing up the slight camber of a slope means you’re heading off the side and into the fence!

Surprisingly, BFG Mud terrains are the most useless, crap, utterly worthless tyre in snow imaginable. Sorry, Ian and Jim , but your normally capable 90’s were the laugh of the event as they wouldn’t even grip on the flat! The event results show this, the pair are propping up the bottom.
 Fraser  
Post #83009130th Aug 2011 8:41 pm
devonchilliman

England 

Couldn't agree more with the above comment by Bodsy Thumbs Up ,adjusted my driving also,I love my MTRs Bow down
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #83009230th Aug 2011 8:45 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

MTR's are not a problem in any weather provided you don't drive like a Censored Very Happy I have to say though that I am very pleased with my Pirelli Ice & Snow during the winter ..excellent grip ....zero noise Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #83009930th Aug 2011 8:50 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

my experience on charging about on MT/R's for the past 5 or so years...
mud - 5*
standing water - 5*
snow - 4*
mpg (not that is relevant) -2*
Looks - 5* Mr. Green
Ice & compacted snow- shyte!

As DG said the Pirelli Ice & snow for when it's taters Thumbs Up
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #83010430th Aug 2011 9:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The reality is that the D3/4 is brilliant in all conditions on almost any tyre. I've driven over 110k miles in my own D3 using Pirelli Scorpion Zeros, Goodyear Wrangler HP's, Goodyear MTR's and Pirelli Scorpion ATR's. All bar the HP's I've driven on fresh snow, compacted snow and ice.

I've never got properly stuck (came close a few times on wet grass with the Zero's), never not got where I was going and never had any really dramatic incidents due to the tyres.

However, of all the tyres I've used, MTR's are the worst for braking distances, which is most noticeable in the wet. They're also the worst on compacted snow (the best on fresh deep snow though) and ice. But they're bound to be as there's less tread in contact with the road surface, due to their design.

As others have said, if you drive accordingly you're unlikely to have any problems with any tyre on the D3. But to answer the question MTR's would be my last choice as a winter road tyre.

I swear by the Pirelli ATR's, which perform well in wintery conditions but unlike a true Winter/Cold Weather tyre can cope well off road in the muddy conditions that are frequently found in winter.

Post #83030631st Aug 2011 11:48 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

LT wrote:
The reality is that the D3/4 is brilliant in all conditions on almost any tyre.......

I can concurr with this..My D3 was 23k miles into the total 24k on Scorpions & these proved to be poor/bad/lethal even in moderate wet road conditions....then it snowed quite heavily
I managed to move about in total control over a two week period here when the roads we abismal....& didnt have to use special programs...

A mixture of conditions....frozen slush on standard tarmac early & late in the day reasonable performance in the slushy slush, more newlay fallen snow on top of this at frequent intervals...still managed to move when others didnt & couldnt - including some 4x4's (mainly BMW's)

Then I changed to Wintracs....what I have found is that where the old worn Scorpions maybe struggled a bit to find purchase these just dont struggle.
I have tried the D3 on some really silly step roads with fresh snow kerb to kerb & the D3 just went + no issues with going down the same roads ...but did talke the caution of going at a pace that the brakes, antilock & tyres could cope.

Last year I took my D3 to Morzine & made the journy up to thr car-less resort of Avoriaz up some seriously steep winter road conditions...I didnt use chains & found the Wintracs totally convincing.

Going back to the comments above about 2wd cars being good with winter tyres...I did this for years working & living in Ireland.....poor roads anyway with non existent gritting, slating or plowing........it snows & stays until it melts & what amazes me is the standard / skill of folks there to cope with on what we would close roads for here...the Vredestien winter tyres I hade on successive Volvos (on good intbe snow 240's & really bad in anything but a dry road road 760's) convinced me it is wise to fit winter tyres.....& they work well all year round
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #83038731st Aug 2011 4:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >