Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

1st service looms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bobbycrispbox

Australia 
1st service looms

In preparation for an impending service (still 2.5k miles away, but at the current rate I reckon I'll be well over 14k by the second week in November), I decided to take a look through the TSBs on GTR. Nothing like looking at a medical dictionary to make yourself feel ill!

I was going to ask at the service about my climate control. The temperature seems fall over the course of a long journey - I start at about 20 and one hour later I'm at 25 but still getting bit of a cooling breeze. Also, twice, temperature control has failed completely and all I get out of the vents is air at outside temperature.

I found LA412-003 "Cabin Temperature Lowers Below Setting" on GTR and wondered who knows could tell me what it's about. While we're at it, can someone find out the VIN range for LA412-001, "Poor Heating and Ventilation System Performance".

Finally, if anyone can reel off the things I should be asking my dealer about (for a VIN 6A399... car) then that would be lovely too. So far my list is:
- Filler cap door lock squeaks when I lock/unlock the car
- Front towing point cover won't go back on (I lost lots of those little white clip things Embarassed )
- A section of folded rubber behind the front bumper has half unrolled itself
- Some noise from the front suspension when going from lock to lock on the steering
- Uneven tyre wear TSB (although I don't think I have much of a problem on this one)
- Tailgate struts, just to be on the safe side
- Seat / mirror memory module (it forgets where it is if I change between reverse and drive too quickly)

Cheers

Post #9660624th Oct 2006 9:33 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine went in recently for the software upgrades and I complained about the mirror dipping. They ordered a new module and fitted this a week later. It has made no difference at all. I still have to hold the memory seat button down to return the mirrors back. So don't expect a fix for this one.

Our previous RRS had the same air con problems you explain. It has fixed by the dealer and I assume that a software upgrade fixed it. It transformed the way the heating performed and the car engine warmed up much quicker too. However, your D3 is much newer, so should be past this sort of problem/software version anyway.
 Matt  
Post #9661424th Oct 2006 10:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The enhancement program will cover most of your issues. The front plastic cover - Laughing thats why I got a Mantec cover. Much better. The platic unrolled thing, I am afraid I have no idea.

WD40 will stop your squeek, and tailgate struts are checked as a matter of course.

Front suspension noise could be dry lock stops. Needs a bit of grease in the right place.

Post #9662524th Oct 2006 10:33 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

in http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic4840.html Gareth wrote:
5A000259 - 6A390949 05 & 06 models.

I took this to mean that the enhancement program wouldn't apply to my 6A399xxx car. Did I get it wrong?

Post #9662624th Oct 2006 10:40 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

This is the section of unfolded folded rubber I referred to. Any thoughts anyone?

Post #9674325th Oct 2006 5:59 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

bobbycrispbox wrote:
in http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic4840.html Gareth wrote:
5A000259 - 6A390949 05 & 06 models.

I took this to mean that the enhancement program wouldn't apply to my 6A399xxx car. Did I get it wrong?

My HSE was over the VIN range & persuaded the dealer to do it. It made a big difference. My folk's D3 is similarily over the VIN range & it has just been done. Worth pushing for.

Post #9674625th Oct 2006 6:20 pm
SN

bobbycrispbox wrote:
This is the section of unfolded folded rubber I referred to. Any thoughts anyone?

I remember seeing this when I had the bumper off

If you look at the photo above you can see its a rubber shroud covering some plastic covered cabling - attached to a section of metal in front of the radiator - looks like yours wasn't strapped in right like mine Confused
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #9674825th Oct 2006 6:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Thanks Steve. It looks like they might be taking quite a lot of the front of my car off to fix this one in the service. Worth it do you think? Worth the risk of them breaking something else in the process? Wink

Post #9675025th Oct 2006 6:34 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

DSL wrote:
My HSE was over the VIN range & persuaded the dealer to do it. It made a big difference. My folk's D3 is similarily over the VIN range & it has just been done. Worth pushing for.

Does it include an engine map update? I'll be taking another trip to Coventry if it does.

It would be interesting to go back to the 'vanilla' map and remind myself of the difference.

Post #9675225th Oct 2006 6:41 pm
SN

bobbycrispbox wrote:
Thanks Steve. It looks like they might be taking quite a lot of the front of my car off to fix this one in the service. Worth it do you think? Worth the risk of them breaking something else in the process? Wink

I think so - yours looks untidy. To do anything around the front the bumper has to come off, they should know how to do it - the order is: Grill, Headlights, WheelArches, Bumper
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #9675525th Oct 2006 6:49 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

bobbycrispbox wrote:
Does it include an engine map update? I'll be taking another trip to Coventry if it does.

It would be interesting to go back to the 'vanilla' map and remind myself of the difference.

Don't know but it was a lot better at roundabouts & seemed smoother. Noticed the better performance as soon as drove it away from stealer. Vanilla map???

Post #9677525th Oct 2006 7:50 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Is this another of my unnecesarily obscure computing references? For me, vanilla = unmodified.

I've got the JE tune, so I'm expecting to lose it (temporarily) if I ask for the enhancement program to be done in the service.

Post #9677925th Oct 2006 7:54 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Ah! Understand now.

FWIW worth phoning local indi LR dealer & getting a price. My local franchised LR dealer will price-match local indi LR garage as they loose a lot of trade to them. I'll do that before the 2 D3's go in for 1st service as they will not want to loose 2 services.

Post #9678525th Oct 2006 8:05 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Service done at Ripon LR today, and I'm pretty happy with the price (£197) and service received. They've tidied up the loose bit of rubber at the front properly, and did have a go at recalibrating the temp sensors for the hvac. I'm kicking myself really for not stopping there long enough this morning to properly explain myself regarding the temperature drop problem on the hvac, as they haven't fixed it, and I already knew what the proper remedy to the problem was. Rolling Eyes

I'm now also kicking myself for not stopping there long enough this evening to really grill them to find out what they did during the service. I'm pretty sure they reloaded the car software - my trip meter and fuel computer thing were reset, and the car has all the hallmark sluggishness of one that had it's JE magic removed. Crying or Very sad

Obviously, the loaner was an old-school freelander. If I had to find one positive thing about them, they make you appreciate the car you normally drive! Very Happy

Post #10456224th Nov 2006 10:07 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Had the foam 'sock' fitted to my temp sensor last week, makes a big difference!

Excellent price for the service
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #10456724th Nov 2006 10:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >