DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Keep, Sell, or Trade?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BazLR3

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3
Keep, Sell, or Trade?

Hi all,

My 2008 LR3 ( built in 2007 and is a V8 HSE ) is now at the 79,500 Kilometers mark, I bought it second hand with 45,000 KM on the ODO. The 5 year warranty (the only way these cars would sell around here) is running out next September. I am worried sick about maintenance costs, just had the bushes replaced under warranty, and the car drives much better now; however, big things like the air springs, electrical problems, engine issues, e-brake, etc. are big ticket items around here. We only have one dealer and he pretty much dictates the service price, which are non-negotiable Evil or Very Mad They tell me that the next maintenance which involves differential gear oil change will be the equivalent of 800 pounds! And, I am still not convinced that the transmission oil is there for the life of the car Rolling Eyes

So, I am now faced with the Dilemma of keeping it, selling it (for dirt cheap around here), or trading it for either an LR4 (very big money) or a much more reliable Japanese alternative. It is my wife's car and does not see any serious action, but finances, given what they are today are very tight, and if I am faced with a massive repair bill, I would probably have to give the car away Big Cry

Your advise would be appreciated.

Post #82436810th Aug 2011 5:14 am
BazLR3

Here we go, just got a call from the Service Rep, they want the equivalent of 150 pound to replace the washer fluid canister, which of course, is outside of warranty!

Post #82437110th Aug 2011 6:27 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
horses for courses

Any high end vehicle will incur high end bills when it comes to service or repair.

As for buying Japanese for reliability they still have lemons and will be equally expensive to repair.
Has you D3 been unreliable so far?
If money is tight then a low end car may be the answer, but for me it's better the devil you know.

just 79K is not alot

Or you could buy a set of tools and begin to service yourself using the guides available here.
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #82439110th Aug 2011 8:07 am
drmcw

United Kingdom 

No idea how the costs would compare but you could try TLO for parts, BigDave to get them to you then find a reasonable garage to fit.

Post #82439710th Aug 2011 8:34 am
BazLR3

Car has thus far been relatively reliable, other than the bushes and the pesky front parking sensors which seem to have a mind of their own, alignment is a pain in the a$$, but good otherwise.

All good recommendations. Our biggest issue here is the monopolistic dealer and pricing of parts. I will have to find a shop with a solid reputation before I decide to keep it for the long haul, this in itself is a massive challenge in this place.

Two factors working against me, Mileage: LR cars over a 100,000 Kilometer take a massive hit in resale value, and warranty, it will be a very hard sell out of warranty.

Cheers.

Post #82440210th Aug 2011 8:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >