Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Engine system fault. No fault codes!Hi Guys
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jm

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Engine system fault. No fault codes!Hi Guys

Hi Guys, had a problem with our Disco whilst towing the caravan (Telegraph Hill, Devon) slight loss of power and display read 'Engine System Fault'. Stopped in a layby and restarted the car, no further probs. I took the Disco into an independant LR garage, the mechanic carried out a diagnostic using Autologic equipment, and.......no fault codes present. I don't know whether to be relieved or concerned. I've had this problem in the past and the main dealers have never been able to bottom this one out. I posted this problem on the site a couple of weeks ago, and said I would return with the fault codes. I had a few pointers last time, but it's difficult to know where to start. We're of to France at the end of this week so I'm bracing myself.
All the best JM.

Post #81129927th Jun 2011 12:20 am
SN

fuel starvation? get the fuel filter changed.

I had exactly the same on mine when I got it and put it under load - would wimp out into an Engine System Fault induced loss of power...
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #81130127th Jun 2011 12:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If it was fuel starvation, it would have (should have) stored a code. Same if it was Turbo related

The only time I have seen it come up with no codes, was when you pressed the brake pedal at the same time as the throttle pedal, and there is an Engine Management update to cure that
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #81131027th Jun 2011 6:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jm

Many thanks, a couple of people have said that the MAP sensor might need cleaning, so I'm going to try and get the fuel filter changed and sensor cleaned before hols. All the best JM.

Post #81132327th Jun 2011 8:38 am
blackleyhurst

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Engine system fault. No fault codes!Hi Guys

jm wrote:
Hi Guys, had a problem with our Disco whilst towing the caravan (Telegraph Hill, Devon) slight loss of power and display read 'Engine System Fault'. Stopped in a layby and restarted the car, no further probs. I took the Disco into an independant LR garage, the mechanic carried out a diagnostic using Autologic equipment, and.......no fault codes present. I don't know whether to be relieved or concerned. I've had this problem in the past and the main dealers have never been able to bottom this one out. I posted this problem on the site a couple of weeks ago, and said I would return with the fault codes. I had a few pointers last time, but it's difficult to know where to start. We're of to France at the end of this week so I'm bracing myself.
All the best JM.

Filled tank to top set off to Devon towing caravan into strong headwind down M6 on M5 with cruise control set to 56 speed dropped to mid 40s ran off motorway @ Buckfast tank almost empty. With foot to floor couldn't do over 20mph engine fault showing on display , no code. Pulled into first garage filled tank to top set off again everything OK and has been for last six weeks. I suspect switching off cured fault! This was less than 100mls after full service.

Post #8142205th Jul 2011 7:45 pm
gsr341

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

mine did the whole ''engine system fault '' no power (bloody dangerous system) did it around 3 times in 2 days took it to indi , no fault codes stored sir ,
phoned bell autos as it started to bealch black smoke , he said you have a fault reader in the interface you have , plugs that in , cant remember the exact fault code but was low turbo boost .

cheaked intercooler hose , sure enougth split in the common place , replaced and 3 months later no ESF on the dash Smile

Post #8144106th Jul 2011 12:08 pm
seddie

Scotland 

I have had the same problem several times. I have just returned from two weeks holiday in the Cotswolds/Yorkshire, 20 miles after leaving the house whilst travelling at 70 MPH along a flat dual carriageway got the bong and Engine System Fault, stopped in layby, waited five minutes and turned the engine on, I then did 1275 miles without problem???????? Rolling Eyes

Post #8144146th Jul 2011 12:25 pm
jm

Thanks for the replies

Hi Guys, thanks for all the replies and suggestions, currently in France with the family. The car drove brilliantly down to Portsmouth for the ferry, And then threw no less than 6 'Engine System Faults' between St Malo and Normandy very dangerous on a few occasions. Had 1 'Engine System Fault' on the way to Britanny from Normandy this time travelling in very wet conditions, car seemed to be running better. If I can't bottom this prob' out when I return to UK then I might throw in the towel and look for an alternative vehicle, I'll certainly be checking the hose from the intercooler/turbo first. Au revoir for now, JM.

Post #81832418th Jul 2011 2:51 pm
pdes

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
My turn for "Engine System Fault" ---- But....

Last year, my D3 came back from the dealer after the two year service with a tyre pressure warning showing. Turned out that they had over-inflated three of my tyres by over 10 pounds! Couldn't believe that the delivery bloke left it with the warning showing. Today, I started my D3 for the first time since it was delivered back after the three year service and it shows an "Engine System Fault". There are no other warning lights or messages but once again, the delivery bloke has left it with the error showing. I have to go on a trip tomorrow so expect I will take a chance. I am assuming that this is probably a remnant of someone not clearing errors or something similar. I know there is nothing you chaps can advise without error codes but I just needed to vent! Twisted Evil

Nice weekends all!
 D4 HSE MY2015
8 Speed
Causeway Grey
Towpack
Surround cameras (joke!)
Vision assist
Extended roof rails
Rear Ladder
Remote heat
Prospeed sliders with steps 

Post #81987722nd Jul 2011 10:25 pm