Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Definitive answer on RAI/Snrokel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
blade74

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Definitive answer on RAI/Snrokel

I have searched this forum but not found a definititive answer on the following.

On a 2010 Landrover Discovery 4 3.0TDV does the original landrover RAI give a true seal to water?
Does it require you to install a new pipe between the airbox and the vent through the side panel?
If it's not waterproof can you make it waterproof and whats the point of it?

Also have people installed the Safari Snorkel version?

Two ARB shops here in Sydney are saying they can't fit the Safari Snorkel but can only sell them as they are way too much work to fit.

I really want a snorkel to protect my motor from water during water crossings that come up to the vent height on the side.
Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep
 Disco 4 SE
Honda CRF450X 

Post #81736915th Jul 2011 5:53 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Snorkle smorkle

It is only a raised air intake to gain air with less dust.

It is NOT waterproof...(inside under bonnet bend has drain holes in it.)

Also I'm sure you know If go deeper than 700mm and have issues your insurance may not cover you (The "Immersion in salt or fresh water above 700mm is a statutory write off" law should be in effect now)
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #81737615th Jul 2011 6:39 am
blade74

I understand you aren't meant to go over 700 mm but if you install a snorkel correctly and its a good seal you could push it to a little higher if need be.

If you want to do a river creek crossing you can get out and walk across the river but you cant guarantee there aren't any holes or anything that if the wheel drops intpo wont push you over 700mm.
It's better to be protected than not at all.

Plus you can get offroad insurance to cover drowning cars here in Aus...
 Disco 4 SE
Honda CRF450X 

Post #81737815th Jul 2011 7:16 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

While you're at it - you might also need a periscope! Whistle Laughing

Post #81738515th Jul 2011 7:38 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

You can cross deeper water if you push a bow wave.

I have had a RAI on D3's and not sealed the air ducting, gone through very deep water and never had issues. Check out my gallery's
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #81739215th Jul 2011 8:01 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

On the D3 there's an 'elbow' connector between the wing and air box.
This is full of holes - I believe this is for draining purposes should you wade too deep.
Some members have sealed this elbow and made their RAI system waterproof.
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #81739415th Jul 2011 8:10 am
blade74

Can anyone recommend a periscope :p LOL

I was going to say i might as well not fit a snorkel and not drive it offroad and just drive it on the road like 80% of Disco 4 owners Smile Rolling with laughter

After talking to ARB here in Sydney they generally don't want to fit the Safari Snorkel because it's too big a job and it's not worth their time to do it.

I'v found the following instruction manual for the safari Snorkel to see if it's something i can fit myself but my only concern is drilling panel work and jigsawing panelwork under the bonnet to get it in.

I would have to try and prep the edges of the steel with something to prevent rust..

http://offroad.www.ro/media/fitinginstructiondiscovery3.pdf‏

I do understand the bow wave and know it works pretty well but only concern is getting bogged and losing momentum thus the bow wave stops..... Big Cry

My mate saw a brand new Jeep the other week on the Cave to Cave track between Wombeyan and Jenolan that was drowned and motor damaged in the middle of nowhere that could have been prevented by $600 - $1000 Thumbs Up OUCH
 Disco 4 SE
Honda CRF450X 

Post #81742215th Jul 2011 9:40 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

blade74 wrote:
My mate saw a brand new Jeep the other week on the Cave to Cave track between Wombeyan and Jenolan that was drowned and motor damaged in the middle of nowhere that could have been prevented by $600 - $1000 Thumbs Up OUCH

Probably where I almost drowned mine (brown underwear moment) Kowmung crossing where the river flow digs a hole in the bed.

I needed insurance for when I am going to do crossings so i made my own. Whistle

Look here and you will see what you are up against:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic14190.html

The OEM RAI can be made water proof IMHO it looks better but is more expensive.

PM me if you need a hand fitting a safari.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #81766916th Jul 2011 3:42 am
garrycol

Australia 

I am not so sure what ARB are on about - it is just a bolt on affair - no drilling of holes through the mudguard etc.

I have looked at and asked lots of questions - the RAI can be made waterproof by filling the drain holes and sealing where it goes through the guard etc.

Post #81767216th Jul 2011 5:38 am
blade74

Thanks for the advice and offer of help CaverD3. Thumbs Up
You copped a bit of $hit from a couple of people but i reckon it's genius that you are modding up your own stuff.

And I totally understand why too. Very Happy I could handle a snorkel i just fit on when i'm going in the bush for the weekend then take off for normal driving.

How did you mod the side panel vent?

Did you buy a secondhand vent from the wreckers and mod it?(The part that is plastic and visible on the side panel without any snorkel)

I can't understand why Safari Snorkel can't make a better attachment like yours that doesn't require drilling panels. I guess they are trying to make it bolt on very solid and not come off easy

I'm still deciding on what way to go and might try and look at the Landrover RAI instruction manual and whats involved to mod it to be water tight as i prefer to not drill the panels if possible and only have to mod the pillar.

garrycol if you have a look at the link that i had in a post earlier there is definately some drill of the side panel and also hacksawing under the bonnet.
Look at the picture in step 3 and 4....
 Disco 4 SE
Honda CRF450X 

Post #81767416th Jul 2011 6:03 am
garrycol

Australia 

blade74 wrote:
garrycol if you have a look at the link that i had in a post earlier there is definately some drill of the side panel and also hacksawing under the bonnet.
Look at the picture in step 3 and 4....

Thanks- I was not aware of that - I understood it was basically as Carver had done using holes etc already there and just replaced the inside pipe with one with no holes. Seems more complicated than it needs to be.

I have a RRS and no one can tell me if the slope of the windscreen etc is the same as the D3 so will most likely go with a RAI and make it waterproof.

Cheers

Garry

Post #81767816th Jul 2011 6:18 am
blade74

Thats cool garrycol,

I wasn't aware of drilling holes until i found that manual yesterday online.

I'm not even sure if the Landrover RAI also requires holes drilled yet? Will post once i find out.

Yeah that is a bit of an pain that they dont officially make a RRS version and can't tell you if it's the same.

All I can say is that i have some mates that do some serious 4x4 driving and one of them said "The first thing you need to put on it is a Safari Snorkel" in his words which are true he said"If you dont and you decide to do some trips where you cross creeks rivers and they become a little too deep the motor will take in some water and it will be FINISHED" LOL Big Cry
I'm not looking at doing crazy offorading through the deepest mud holes or the gnarliest hill climbs but definately want to do some known tracks like the Caves to Caves and stop at Yerrinderie(spelling may be wrong)
I think it's some good insurance and minimises the chance of damage.

I think the other thing i will end up doing when these Wrangler HW tires wear out is get some Pirelli Scorpion ATR's which might give me a little more grip offroad.

I was amazed at where these cars can go and what they're capable of. When I did the Landrover day with Getabout Tours they spoke of driving across the centre of Australia with Discos and RRS. Bow down
 Disco 4 SE
Honda CRF450X 

Post #81768116th Jul 2011 6:35 am
garrycol

Australia 

I have seen some footage of a D3`in deep water up over the bonnet and with the bow wave the water is clear of the standard intact but there are too many ifs. You need the speed exactly right to get the wave trough at the air intact and what if you stumble and come to a stop - all of a sudden the the water is over the air intake. You might be able to switch the engine off before it sucks water - but what about the electrics under the bonnet? In Landrover's wisdom they did not make them water proof - only splash resistant from underneath not from above .

My engine was dirty and I decided to hose it down and had the battery Box cover off - there is a computer module that controls Hi/Lo range at the back of the battery - it is not water proof and it got splashed by the hose - I had Hi/Lo range faults for a week and at one time got suck in low range for a while.

So there are a few issues with our cars and water.

Garry

Post #81769216th Jul 2011 8:18 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It is a good idea to waterprof that module and its connections as well if you are doing water crossings. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #81769816th Jul 2011 8:35 am
raadar

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

hi all,

I have an LR RAI fitted to the D4 but it cannot be relied upon to act as a snorkel without modification. The LR installation replaces the elbow under the bonnet but there is no connection between the RAI and the elbow. Behind the side vent you can clearly see daylight where the system opens up to the air space under the bonnet. This requires a positive seal which can be fashioned simply enough from a short piece of pvc downpipe (and prolific sealing of the assembly) fixed to the end of the snorkel, and with a wire perimeter tensioner around the rubber spigot seal at the entry to the elbow. With the correct amount of tension in the wire this connection can be set (with fencing pliers) to allow removal of the snorkel when desired.

However, we should all be aware that fitting a waterproof snorkel does not make the D4 risk free in water crossings. Yes I have successfully negotiated deep crossings with the bow wave technique, even in a D4 and RRS without a snorkel, and when you can get away with it you develop a feeling of over confidence. As rightly pointed out by others the limiting factors of deepwater crossings, even with a sucessfully sealed snorkel, would be the risk to drowning any of the computors. It is all fine and well to tackle a 700mm deep crossing but you will still be at risk of unseen holes or soft bottoms that can instantly submerge the vehicle beyond the desired depth. I had this happen recently after the QLD floods where I was crossing a creek which did not measure deeper than 700mm but when driving through it and about to exit the steepish bank my outside rear wheel with the extra sudden load burried in the soft sand bottom and slid into a previously uncharted hole. Disappointingly, the D4 exercised its superior knowledge of 4WDing and cut power (and probably applied the brakes as I had not disengaged DSC) and suddenly I was bogged and in need of assistance.

The issue here is that the 700mm suddenly became 900mm or so and I could not open the door (or the rear tailgate where my recovery gear was stored) without letting in the flood. Fortunately I was quickly extracted by snatching to another vehicle but in the very short time I was stuck, water started to enter through the door seals (very poor, LR). Because the car had a slight upward angle due to the exit bank and hole under the rear wheel the water was mostly concentrated to the rear passenger compartment which saved the underseat computors from being drowned which would have created just as much catastrophy as any water in the air intake.

Anyhow, the point is that a fully sealed RAI or other snorkel is a must when traversing deepish water but you should not then assume a feeling of being bulletproof.

frank
 my10D4se3Ltdv6 current
my08RRStdv8 sold
my07RRStdv8 sold 

Post #81815618th Jul 2011 12:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >