DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 Curtain airbag deployment whilst driving and no accident
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
rdknight

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
D3 Curtain airbag deployment whilst driving and no accident

Hi all...
First time post as my 05 D3 has never had a problem until now.

Luckily I was only doing 20mph on a country road when the curtain airbags deployed for no reason... They really go off with a bang, quite scary, takes a few seconds to decide what has happened. Anyone else experienced this? I am now very concerned I am looking at a v large bill and I have a perforated eardrum and the wife has whiplash.. The dogs that were in the boot arent too impressed either.. Fri night so cant speak to a dealer..

Richard

Post #8033653rd Jun 2011 10:19 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Welcome Richard Thumbs Up That's a bit alarming Shocked Thankfully this is not something we have come across too often to be honest but that is no comfort to you I guess.

Sounds like it must be a faulty side impact sensor or Restraints Control Module. The only way to tell is to take it \ have it recovered to a dealer for diagnosis Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8033673rd Jun 2011 10:34 pm
rdknight

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi

Any thoughts on whether LR will accept any responsibility for a 6 year old car or do you think I will be left with the bill? Has anyone replaced the curtain airbags any ideas of costs?

Cheers

Post #8033713rd Jun 2011 11:08 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Is the motor over 6 years ? You still have consumer rights up to that age ...not so sure about after. If it is over the 6 years then you could try LR customer care and perhaps negotiate a gesture of goodwill as quite obviously this safety device should not go off unless the conditions for firing have been met ....and the RCM is supposed to self diagnose a fault and prevent any faulty element from activating. It is worth pursuing I think Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #8033773rd Jun 2011 11:37 pm
StaticMotion

Scotland 

They are supposed to be designed not to do that and I would think despite it's age that Landrover should really be doing something about it, even if meeting part of the cost at the very least. I mean it doesn't say in the blurb when you buy it or in the handbook airbags only good for 6 years and should be replaced. With a bit of luck and common sense Landrover should hopefully at the very least find the fault and if not caused by user, fix it.

Although there is probably nothing set in stone with regards to age and airbags, I would say as a consumer you would reasonably expect the life of a safetly device to exceed 6 years. If the dealer is not willing to help a letter to trading standards may assist because the car is designed to last more than 6 years so built in safetly devices which are not subject to wear like other parts should be.

*edit* best of luck and let us know how you get on Thumbs Up

Post #8033793rd Jun 2011 11:52 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

CAB wrote:
If the goods go wrong after six years (or five in Scotland), you no longer have the right to ask for a repair or replacement.

It's no different for a motor so Trading Standards are unlikely to assist after 6 years in that case tbh ...you would have to rely on a goodwill gesture...so it would pay to be as nice as pie Smile
Post #8033834th Jun 2011 12:02 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Air bags do have a life, from memory it is ten years, but that is to replace them due to the possibility of the bag degrading and not going off, rather than going off for the wrong reason.
Am aware of a renault that did this and the car was only about 18months old. From memory Renault aid some and the owners insurance paid the rest.
I would have thought that your car insurance would cover the cost.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #8033894th Jun 2011 1:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
packingstrips

Rdknight.

This is really quite alarming and is something you should involve Land Rover with.

In your case it seems that all of the side curtains have deployed which is indicating to me that the rcm has sensed a roll over situation. Even if a crash sensor has gone haywire and has sensed a crash the rcm has a secondary system which confirms these signals and then fires the relivent bags as it sees fit so i doubt a crash sensor is at fault here. The rcm or wiring fault would be my best guess....whatever this needs jumping on asap!!

As a matter of interest have you had any work done to the vehicle of the last 6 months?When this happened did the hazards come on, engine cut out or door locks fire?

Post #8034074th Jun 2011 9:02 am
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sounds scary indeed. Shocked

Have you owned the car from new? If you have I'd be chasing LR for a reason and full/part payment. The guys at VOSA would probably be interested too.

If not - you're never certain whether there has been some work / accident repair etc etc so I'd approach more cautiously.

edit: forgot to say - might be worth contacting VOSA anyway - unplanned deployment is the main failure mode airbag manufacturers try to guard against.... so they might want to know how this could have happened?

Post #8034124th Jun 2011 9:19 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

You might be right Mik but sadly VOSA's history in these matters is very poor tbh. The response from VOSA over the EPB activation and associated issues on multiple D3's less than 3 years old would indicate that they are unlikely to be interested in an extremely rare airbag deployment on a 6year + vehicle.

The deterioration of components begins when the motor leaves the factory floor ...how far down the line can we reasonably hold the manufacturer responsible ....the regs say a maximum of 6 years ....would we have a different view if this happened at 8, 10 or 12 years ? Confused Where do you stop ?
Post #8034154th Jun 2011 9:35 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Most cars have a sticker on saying airbags should be replaced at 10 years. Note sure on D3.

I suppose you could view this as the manufacturer saying they have a 10 year lifespan, however as it went off it worked to some extent. I guess it depends on what set it off, whether the airbag just deployed or whether the car told it to.

Bet you need to claim for some new pants too !!!

Post #8034164th Jun 2011 9:43 am
packingstrips

DG.

The parking brake issues was ( in most cases ) put down to maladjustment hence the new procedue to adjust and the dongle...there was no inherent problem as such with the system, if there had been then i think we would have seen a different outcome.Random deployments of the srs is an issue which if found to be caused by a problem which could effect every car ( ie a bracket rubbing against a wiring harness) rather than someone has not fitted a sensor correctly or left the rcm loose then they sholud and will take interest.

Post #8034184th Jun 2011 9:52 am
packingstrips

2 airbags deployed in this instance so i doubt an internal problem with an airbag, you have to be looking at a deployment issue within the cars rcm

Post #8034194th Jun 2011 9:54 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I didn't realise both sides deployed Shocked

Post #8034214th Jun 2011 10:07 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

packingstrips wrote:
DG.
The parking brake issues was ( in most cases ) put down to ... the dongle...

There's no need to talk about NoDo$h like that Andy Laughing

I take your point but there hasn't been a of spate of unwanted deployments ..I think I've only heard of one other case in 6 years. Maybe the mechanics on the site have come across more. I just wonder how interested VOSA would be Confused The airbag 10 year replacement guide would not IMO be an indication that this was some sort of guarantee As PS has indicated I think the RCM as this deals with the signals.

Be very interesting to see the outcome. Please keep us updated Richard Thumbs Up
Post #8034364th Jun 2011 11:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >