Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Injector Pump HPFP?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
John Fair

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Injector Pump HPFP?

Any thoughts greatly accepted. Just got back from a two week trip to Italy France. D3 Dec 2007 8.5my 75k. Week one started with what i would say was some very odd and slight vibrations and lack of power when pulling out of the odd couple of proper hairpin bends at about 20-30. Very infrequent and difficult to replicate. Felt like the frequency of the rumble strips on the motorway but softer. Week two and the car cuts out at 90 on the motor way. Usual warning lights etc and restarts ok but now cuts out if driven under load but will trundle gently at 50 ish. Into french dealer and im sorry but i speak no french and he no english but 2 1/2 hours later ( lunch time) and im shown a picture of an injector pump and told thats the problem. They were unable to supply one within a reasonable time limit so we carried on back home via the rest of France. During the long drive home the vibration reapeared, some times at 20-30 and others at 50-60( when it would go that fast without cutting )but could be stopped by lifting off the throttle slightly. It did not always vibrate? I have not had a chance to look at the car yet as we only got back last night. The HPFP was replaced at 45k under recall so this one has done 30k if it is proved to be faulty. I shall change the filter as a starting place when i get back from work.The vibration worries me more than the cutting out as im unsure if it is related due to the insulated cabin of the car. i suppose it could be a misfire.Possibly unrelated but the DSC has cut in on at least four occations on this trip whilst cornering? It has never ever come on before and i have owned the car from new.I thought there might be a connection with the throttle position,it being applied further due to a lack of power and hence tricking the system into thinking im about to boot it out of a bend even though the car was struggling ????

Post #8136944th Jul 2011 1:49 pm
John Fair

For clarity i should add the the vehicles main batter is due for replacement as i feel it has been low on charge. the longer drive through europe has revived it but it still is due for replacement.

Post #8136974th Jul 2011 2:14 pm
John Fair

Oh yes and there is the tinniest undulation of the rev counter

Post #8137904th Jul 2011 6:34 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Start with the fuel filter John and work forwards.
Undulating revs though is possibly another issue with gear ox that manifests itself as undulating revs.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #8138024th Jul 2011 7:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John Fair

Cheers Bodsy! Thought I was on my own here. I did the filter tonight and it's not really better as such but will not now fault.The car has now been unloaded of the five persons, luggage, camping gear and wine etc, so five tonne in total !!! I shall dump the challenge car and trailer on the back and would imagine that would load it to fault again? I was hoping if I could get it to fault whilst plugged in to a laptop it would be conclusive. Is that so?? Really a bit confused by this vibration? It's not really that major and would probably go unnoticed by some. I read a thread on here somewhere about a faulty hpfp and vibration that someone was having but cannot find it now. Anyone know what other faults would bring up a hpfp fault code as I would think that was what the French dealer saw. Oh yes and does anyone know exactly what the kit LLR 017349 consists of please?

Post #8138394th Jul 2011 9:34 pm
ELD70

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just a thought but several people on here have had their gear boxes flushed and oil changed to cure all sorts of vibrations etc..

Post #8138864th Jul 2011 11:01 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

The filter sounds as though it was part of the problem, but the next part sounds like it's ATF fluid change time.... Then a separate ATF oil cooler as you may have a leak from the rad into the ATF cooler (which is part of the same thing)

If it's only noticeable when towin or heavily laden, then I'd say get it done before it gets worse.....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #8138894th Jul 2011 11:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John Fair

Just cant make up m mind which way to go first. I guess the pump would be a good start as it would apear to be us. This may cure vibrations but a box flush must be due anyway as it has towed a bit and worked for a living.

Post #8140085th Jul 2011 11:08 am
John Fair

Can anyone tell me if i can just change the injector pump myself or do i need some sort of software that would prevent me from doing so?

Post #8140185th Jul 2011 11:43 am
anglefire

England 

Can you get the fault codes read?

If you are getting P2290, then it is possibly HP pump- but not guaranteed - fuel filter can cause the same thing, as can several other things.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #8140585th Jul 2011 1:20 pm
John Fair

Im in at a local on saturday and i shall drop the trailer on the back and try to get it to fault on the road whilst plugged in to get a definitive answer to this problem. Unfortunatly due to my pants schooling i was unable to converse with the French LR Dealer and was just shown a picture of an injector pump. I changed the fuel filter last night and i would say it was no different but the car is now driving better due to it not being loaded up. This only confuses the issue so that is why i will load it by putting the trailer behind it.I shall have a look at the receipt and see if it says a code but im thinking not. What are the sensors that can throw up a hpfp fault then?

Post #8140635th Jul 2011 1:32 pm
anglefire

England 

I'm by no means an expert - but it will be one of the fuel pressure sensors on the common rail or injectors I guess.

I've just had my HP pump replaced under warranty - too early to say if it has cured my ESF messages - but definately worse towing the TinTent, so I'll find out fairly soon I hope.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #8141615th Jul 2011 5:35 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There was a recall for the HP fuel pumps on your year model. Is yours in the VIN range?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8143326th Jul 2011 3:51 am
John Fair

caverD3 wrote:
There was a recall for the HP fuel pumps on your year model. Is yours in the VIN range?

Yes the hpfp was done with "Kit" LLR017349 on 18-11-09 at 45k. It is now showing 75k so 30k for the new pump? I have been looking to see what this Kit consists of but to no avail.
The reality is that most places i speak to are of the opinion its unlikley to be the pump due to the very low numbers they have actually fixed,(not recall) one being the common number most have ever actualy done due to failure.I have no problem buying a pump etc if that is the fault but have no desire to go down the road of changing parts and pounds to just see!
I have been thinking that perhaps the gearbox was getting hot and causing it to fault but do not know the systems well enough to know how or if that could bring up a pump fault code?
Hopefully i shall find this all out at the w/e if i get a bright talkative tech.
Oh and another thought last night( nothing on tv) was that when i dropped the fuel filter i was able to hear the lp pump in the tank making an initial protesting type of noise during the priming process. I cannot recall hearing this last time?

Post #8143996th Jul 2011 11:16 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

John,

The 'vibration' of revs when you are loaded up/towing etc are early indications of the Torque converter slipping and then catching, which creates this kind of vibration or fluctuation in revs as a result.

This has usually been down to two things

1) The ATF is 'burnt' getting too hot, causing the oil to degrade
2) The ATF has become contaminated, causing the slipping effect as again the oil is degraded.

The contamination is almost always due to a hairline crack in the radiator at the point where the Water part of the radiator and the ATF cooler part join.
A flush (double flush or a Megaflush) would rid the old oil and you should notice an improved pick up and elimination of the fluctuation of revs.
IF the ATF is contaminated due to Glycol (from the radiator) then you have two options.
a) replace the complete Radiator assembly for a new one and hope it won't crack again in another 3 or 4 years time
b) Install a seperate oil cooler for the ATF and block off that part of the main Radiator at the outlet pipes.

Gordon at 4-tech can do all of this for you, mobile as well.
The cost of the Megaflush is cheaper than you can get the proper qty of Shell ATF if you were to do a double flush yourself.
He can also test for Glycol in your current ATF as a postal service.

I've had my box Megaflushed only last week. Not because I was experiencing any of the issues that can occur, but just because I'd done 81k and I thought it would be a good idea. I noticed no difference in mine, which I'm quite relieved about TBH as it means it's working fine, but I suspect you will notice a difference with yours. Thumbs Up

HTH

Ian
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #8144036th Jul 2011 11:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >