Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Egr failure and fitting Bellauto Services blanking kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
amondeggs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Egr failure and fitting Bellauto Services blanking kit

I took car for diagnosis only to discover that RHS Egr valve has failed. Symptoms are little or no power below 2000rpm and then power kicks in big time followed by lots of black smoke.

I have been looking at fitting a blanking kit as opposed to fitting a new Egr valve.
I am interested to hear from anybody who has bought and fitted the Bell Auto blanking kit themselves.

I have spoken to them today and they say it is not difficult to fit but tricky to do. I have their pdf that appears very detailed indeed.

How are cars running with the blanking kit fitted? Any impact on mpg? or any issues with emissions tests on MOt's?

Would you recommend fitting by garage / mechanic or was job faily simple?

Is this kit the best blanking kit? If not what are the alternatives?

Would appreciate any comments

Thanks in advance

Post #63834719th Apr 2010 7:56 pm
jimbo23

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The kit is not to bad to fit, abit of a fiddle but a hours work tops take your time and you will be fine.
There are no noticable gains in performace on my car, MPG slightly better,
There are cheaper kits out there but bell autos one is very good quality and its worth the extra money for the back up pete gives, i sent pete a pm at around 11pm and had a reply within minutes i ordered the kit late friday morning it arrived 9am the next day!
Im Very happy with my kit and the service from bell autos Thumbs Up

Post #63837719th Apr 2010 8:33 pm
amondeggs

Thanks for that jimbo, has your car gone through the MOT since the kit was fitted? I have been told that it should not increase emmisions enough to cause a problem on the MOT test?

Post #63838419th Apr 2010 8:42 pm
jimbo23

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not had a MOT with it fitted yet, but my Td5 defender and disco passed 3 times with blanked egr so cant see it will be a problem Thumbs Up

Post #63838619th Apr 2010 8:45 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

MOT's measure the density of smoke only. By blanking the EGR's you don't increase the smoke density, only oxides of nitrogen slightly, which isn't measured.

Regards
Steve

Post #63844819th Apr 2010 9:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Steve, I wondered how you got on with it Thumbs Up

If you're doing this yourself, I'd be really interested in popping round to give a hand/take a look at it first hand. Whilst I can't do this on my EuIV engine, I'd still like to see it done 'in the flesh' so to speak.

I have a fair range of tools I can bring to the party Smile

Blanking them off should cause you no problems at all. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #63845219th Apr 2010 9:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Hi Guys, how apt this topic rears it's head (yet again)

My D3 was in the stealers today for a fix on the EPB (yet again Big Cry ), when I collected the car, the dealer 'kindly' pointed out that when they downloaded the fault codes the ECU says both teh EGR valves are Censored - funny thought me, who has been getting a consistent 28+ mpg for the last few months, and haven't noticed any obvious lack of power or other 'typical' EGR symptoms

The dealer quoted £560+VAT to do both Rolling with laughter

So . . if I fit the blanking kit, and the BAs one seems to be well made, this will solve this issue for once and for all - right Thumbs Up

I mentioned to the dealer, who frowned (as only LR dealers know how) and said they were aware of blanking kits, but fitting would Censored up the fuel management systems, emissions etc and the car would NOT pass another MOT - ever Shocked

AND cause all sorts of problems and I would be very sorry - (much more than by paying them over £600 I suspect) Whistle

My question has to be:-

Is there ANY truth in what the dealer is saying regarding the fuel management systems Shocked OR as I suspect, they are simply trying to fleece me for £600+ . . only to no doubt have to replace them again in another 50k miles Crying or Very sad
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #63846419th Apr 2010 10:06 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

They're LR, so they have to tow the line in terms of it functioning as it should from the factory, but personally (If I could) I would blank them off as per BAS kit Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #63847519th Apr 2010 10:19 pm
amondeggs

Only one of the Egr's have failed but I feel loathed to replace one at a cost of £300 when the other could go at any point in the future.

I really am moving to the idea of blanking them off so that I will not the same problems again in the future. I just wanted reassurance from others that there are no knock on problems?

Bodsy thanks for the offer of help , if I do decide to DIY you are more than welcome, and so are your tools, to come around. I will just wait for a little more feedback from others to make up my mind ! Thumbs Up

Post #63847719th Apr 2010 10:21 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

ONLY one I've known with issues after doing it was HobGoblin and that's because he has an EuIV engine Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #63847919th Apr 2010 10:22 pm
amondeggs

Is the EuIV engine in the post 07 cars then?

Post #63848119th Apr 2010 10:23 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If you have a EURO III engine (<=MY06), then just blank them and save 500+ quid.

I did mine as a preventative measure when out of warranty (I wouldn't bother doing it whilst in warranty).

My performance didn't seem to improve much, but the EGRs were ok anyway when I blanked them. I did notice a small improvement in the pickup, but very minor.

No idea about mpg as I don't ever take much notice, but I think it went slightly worse.

If you have a 2006 EURO III engine like mine, then I would do it Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #63848219th Apr 2010 10:24 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

EuIV is MY07 onwards Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #63848319th Apr 2010 10:25 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I forgot to say - the people I know that have done this have not even registered on the emissions test of the MOT (or at least the local equivalent) Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #63848419th Apr 2010 10:26 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

disco_steve wrote:

I mentioned to the dealer, who frowned (as only LR dealers know how) and said they were aware of blanking kits, but fitting would Censored up the fuel management systems, emissions etc and the car would NOT pass another MOT - ever Shocked

Id love to know your dealers phone number, id give them a call and teach them a few things about management systems on how they work and the code inside them along with the program coding structure algorithms and may be even landrovers Smile

What a load of rubbish they are speaking, i have a MOT level "4 gas" analyser and all the tests needed for a MOT have been done by me on many cars and many other MOT testing stations with no problems.
In some cases the car actually runs better with nice clean air going in it.

They are just Censored off because you will be saving over 550 and they wont be getting it from you Mr. Green

please belive me you have nothing to worry about , my kits have been quality tested and scrutinized many many times accross the world on thousands of cars with no problems in any country. This kit below looks very familier on a world wide parts supplying site Wink

http://www.britpart.com/Accessory.asp?Page...ryRef=2412

Pete

Post #63849219th Apr 2010 10:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >