Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

33k Mile Service?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
marcoVU

United States 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
33k Mile Service?

I have been taking care of my D4 (US petrol v8 engine) with oil changes every 7,000 miles with Royal Purple oil and I just replaced brake pads and sensor 3k miles ago. Last week the service engine message comes up, but I was busy and only got around to calling today to see what needs to be done.

Called the stealership and the girl in service said that I cannot turn off the message myself and I need them to do it (I assumed it was an oil change service message). She then goes on to tell me that I am due for some serious service with spark plugs, brake fluid and whatever (she didn't tell me what needs to be done). Ok, I am busy and moving in a few weeks, so I asked how much. She said about $1k. Really? Seems a bit high to me. I remember BMW didn't charge that much for an M5 for service, so this seems insane to me.

Does anyone know if this $1k is about right? Also, what the heck are they doing at this mileage for service? Lining the engine in gold? I could probably easily do it myself in an afternoon and save a lot of money. I just don't want to void any warranty stuff, but if I keep the papers, I guess I am fine.

Post #79551411th May 2011 7:59 pm
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

"Lining the engine with gold" - hilarious.

I don't have a D4 yet, but from what I've read a basic oil change should be about 1/3 of what they quoted you. Not sure about special requirments for 33,000 mile service.
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #79556711th May 2011 9:05 pm
marcoVU

I am glad someone appreciates my humor. I am going to call around and see what other dealerships say, but I have a feeling this will be about the same price. Also, I am not sure, but I think there may be a service checklist book or paper that came with the car. Looks like I gotta dig that out.

I found that Land Rover has documents online, using the Topix, portal, but you need to be registered to access them. I'm just curious now. I'll probably end up at an independent shop to get whatever needs to be done because I trust them more.

Post #79557211th May 2011 9:20 pm
marcoVU

Ended up looking at the service schedule in the paperwork that came with the car and it is not crazy. For anyone interested, I scanned it last night and put it online.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gmpsflgce5i5...hedule.pdf

Post #79580812th May 2011 2:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >