Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

ITG Filter any good?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
ITG Filter any good?

Anyone recommend this filter? where can I get one and how much? Sorry if there has been threads on this before but my kids want the computer!
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #8897827th Sep 2006 4:59 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You get them from JE.
People who have them seam to rate them.
Might get one myself £41 plus VAT
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #8898027th Sep 2006 5:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Thanks mate...
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #8898227th Sep 2006 5:17 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have one. As I had it fitted at the same time as the T/C, I can't really comment on a before/after basis. It must help the TDV6 breathe a little easier though. At £50 I thought it was worth trying.
ITG are the filters my friends at Abbott Racing Motorsport use & recommend. They know about these things, so that was good enough for me.

Post #8899227th Sep 2006 6:00 pm
steveho

United Kingdom 

Don't forget it will invalidate the warranty on your engine if you were unfortunate enough to have a failure that could be attributed to filtration.

Is the miniscule advantage you may achieve from fitting an aftermarket filter worth it ?

If it were me i wouldn't want to put at risk the longevity of my very expensive TDV6 power plant

Post #8933828th Sep 2006 10:23 pm
Simong

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

How can replacing the standard airfilter with a superior airfilter affect the longevity of an engine in a negative way?

I say go for it if you're that way out, especially at only £50. Personally I would bother unless you where changing a few other things as well- but I'm no expert on these matters.

Last edited by Simong on 29th Sep 2006 12:25 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8939328th Sep 2006 11:46 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Anything that helps an engine 'breathe' is a good thing. If you're worried about warranty then just keep your old LR filter and refit it before service or warranty work.

ITG is good, K+N is another brand that 'claim' bhp increases and Green Filters are another.

Post #8940029th Sep 2006 12:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steveho

United Kingdom 

Simong wrote:
How can replacing the standard airfilter with a superior airfilter affect the longevity of an engine in a negative way?

I'm no expert on these matters.

Superior Question in what way - certainly not in it's filtration qualities!!

If you're no expert in these matters -perhaps you shouldn't advise in these matters Rolling with laughter

Post #8968329th Sep 2006 7:40 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

steveho wrote:

If you're no expert in these matters -perhaps you shouldn't advise in these matters Rolling with laughter

please explain Question Id like to understand the truth as you seem to indicate these foam filters are not as good as paper ones.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8978329th Sep 2006 9:59 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

dylansdad wrote:
steveho wrote:

please explain Question Id like to understand the truth as you seem to indicate these foam filters are not as good as paper ones.

I will second that Wink
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #8978429th Sep 2006 10:01 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'd have to third it.
Please clarify what you mean steveho? Confused
 The End  
Post #8979929th Sep 2006 10:34 pm
tasmod

With 'performance' filters there is a decrease in filtering. This is to allow better airflow to the engine.

This can come at an expense of fine particle filtration, not something you want on an offroad vehicle subject to dustier conditions than a road vehicle.

Certain manufacturers claim filtration as good as a factory unit, what they don't tell you however, is the need for frequent change/maintenance dependent on type.

Thin wall paper type need changing more often than standard factory filter.

Some foam type filters requiring cleaning and re-oiling every 1k miles!
Yes, re-oiling! the foam types rely on a thin film of oil to catch the particles, when clogged this can be far worse than a standard filter and in a very short time!

Post #8999930th Sep 2006 12:54 pm
Simong

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

steveho wrote:
Simong wrote:

I'm no expert on these matters.

Not being an expert unlike steveho Bow down

I popped over to ITG to see what they had to say. See below.

itg were probably the first company to manufacture a truly durable, high performance foam-based production air filter.

Why foam? Because, compared to paper or other filter technologies, reticulated polyester foam achieves optimum performance against three key criteria:

Maximum Air Flow - the ability to allow air to pass through without causing a large drop
in pressure.

Cleaning Efficiency - the capability to arrest a high proportion of airborne dust while feeding the engine clean air.

Dust Load-up Tolerance - the capability to absorb a large amount of dust without reducing air flow capacity.

With our unique Tri-Foam System, which uses various thicknesses of finer or coarser foams, these factors can be varied for different applications.

Tri-foam gives us the flexibility to produce air filters to exact specifications and, where high flow rates are possible, we can tailor filters to arrest even the slightest dust traces.

Compared to other designs, itg filters offer many additional advantages, including a significant reduction in noise while providing more power for longer.

What's more, because we use the very latest adhesive technologies to bond the foam layers, itg filter assemblies are totally resistant to water, fumes, oils and fuels - including the exotic brews used in racing.

Post #9000830th Sep 2006 3:21 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
interesting

have a http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm if the link wont work just google bobistheoilguy and look at air filtration test

Last edited by catoperator on 1st Oct 2006 8:59 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #9001430th Sep 2006 6:41 pm
steveho

United Kingdom 

It's quite simple:-

Filters - filter particles rated in microns

The larger the particle the higher the micron rating-the smaller the particle the lower the micron rating.

General rule of thumb is that paper type filters will always filter more finer particles than foam ones

Challenge to someone:-find the micron rating of standard disco3 filter and and an ITG foam one and then we will see which has the better filtration qualities

Tasmod-some good points mentioned there

Post #9001530th Sep 2006 6:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >