Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Opinions on D4 front protection bar ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Opinions on D4 front protection bar ?

I have this itch to fit a front protection bar. Any comments on this piece of kit? Anybody who have it installed? I would appreciate all honest inputs before taking the irreversable step. Thanks in advance.
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #78509012th Apr 2011 5:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discocruise

Zimbabwe 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Well, there is the indestructible ARB bull bar. It's expensive, ugly and heavy and will kill everything that is unlucky enough to be hammered by you Twisted Evil - but it will for sure protect you and your car.

Then there are the nudge bars, or A-Frame bars. They look much nicer but give almost no protection, maybe a bit to the fan. And they protect your front end from scratches when parking in Paris... Laughing
Ans then, there is something like the discreet Devon 4x4 winch bar. I'd say that it will also give a lot more protection to your front end in case of a collision with a car. It's not its main purpose though.

What bar were you thinking of?

Post #78649915th Apr 2011 8:37 pm
Kabous

Unfortunatly the LR plastic one. Must say the only real reason is for the looks and maybe protecting the front when in a carpark etc. I had an ARB bar on my Disco 3 but to be honest I won't go that route again. Although its functional and strong it changes the way it drives and it doen's age as little or as well as the rest of the car. Also I love the front of the D4 so I don't want to change it too much, there is also off course the warrenty issue with other bars.
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #78662416th Apr 2011 9:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discocruise

I have the same thoughts. The ARB is just too heavy and especially too ... well, maybe ugly is the wrong word, but as you said, the Disco 4 is such a well designed car that the bulky thing ruins its beautiful lines. The bar looks exactly the same for each vehicle! Be it a HZJ105 or a Prado or a Hilux or a Disco - the always look the same.

Do you think that the LR plastic bar is any good to protect the fan from an impact with, say, a goat or a baboon? In Okavango, I hit a stork with my Patrol and that stupid suicide bird destroyed my hole front: headlights, bumper, hood - all wasn't too bad but all had to be taaken care of. The headlight was totally beyonf repair... A baboon would probably be even worse to hit. Thing is, you can continue your drive home with a bump in your hood and a broken headlight, but if I had hit that stork 50cm more to the moddle of the car, I'm sure it would have destroyed my fan and you don't want to be stuck in the middle of the Censored Okavango, Namib, Makgadigadi or Kalahari because a freakin' bird decided to hop in front of your car and brake your fan. MAYBE the LR plastic bumper would protect you against this as well. In fact, that's exactly what I need.

Post #78665716th Apr 2011 11:17 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The only practical reason to fit one would be to protect any additional lights you might want to fit. I think the D4 looks a bit ungainly with spots mounted directly to the bumper, and the protection bar would probably make it look a bit more purposeful. For some reason, the D3 suited bumper mounted spots better than the D4.

Post #78666416th Apr 2011 11:42 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you want frotection from wildlife at speed you need a bullbar. ARB or Opposite Lock. TJM do one but it looks like the D3 has collected a gate. Shocked
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #78666816th Apr 2011 11:47 am
Discocruise

ECB does a very neat bull bar and nudge bar for the Disco 4 too. Thumbs Up Looks way better to me than the other bars and it's much lighter alloy and not steel so there shouldn't be a difference in how the car drives.

BUT - in contrast to what it proudly claims on their website - they only ship to Australia and New Zealand. That's their definition of "worldwide" shipping Laughing

Post #78668016th Apr 2011 12:02 pm
Kabous

Dealer borrowed me the bar to check out and make a decision so here's my opinion:
The bar is very lightweight but looks like it is designed to absorb impact. It has two metal brackets that bolts onto the chassis behind the metal bumper, which is directly behind the plastic bumper. Two 8mm holes gets drilled through the plastic bumper which then attaches a thick plastic bracket into which the bar slides from the top. The top of the bar is then attached via 2 plastic brackets to the top of the plastic grill with press and click type pins. The bar can be removed in seconds should you want to remove the grill. It should withstand some impact and will definatly protect the grill and therefore the radiators and fans etc. to some extend.

To fit additional lights:
The lights doesn't bolt onto the bar only, you need to attach two upright pillars onto the metal bumper, cut two holes through the top of the plastic bumper and then theres a bracket that goes horizontal to the front and connects to the bar and the light mounts on there at a 90 degree angle. The difference between the parts for with and without the bar is only 1 pair of brackets that is different.

Hope this helps.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Please tell me what looks best?, with or without the bar?[/img][/img]
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #78668816th Apr 2011 12:50 pm
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 

For me.....without, I think the bar just looks like it's sat ontop of the bumper compared to it's predecessor on the D3 which was longer. The front of the D4 looks great without adons IMHO, but it is just my opinion Thumbs Up

Skip
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #78675416th Apr 2011 4:31 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I like it with the protection bar - especially on the white car. It would look very purposeful with a couple of decent lights in there 8)

Post #78677216th Apr 2011 5:26 pm
Kabous

Thanks for the replies Skip, Gareth Thumbs Up . I think the comment on the lights is very true, it would look great with some but what puts me off a bit is the fact that the bar makes it look a bit............. Freelanderish Embarassed , I love the D4's front and I think for now I will keep it that way 8) , also wouldn't like to loose the Silver Land Rover lettering as the bar obscures it totally.
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #78685816th Apr 2011 9:00 pm
mowog

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

This may be of interest to some of you. A genuine Land Rover front bar (In Australia)

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/125759...-news.html
 Discovery 4 SE Long range fuel tank Kaymar Rear Bar.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood
Mini JCW Clubman
Lotus Trooper Off Road Caravan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/ 

Post #78686116th Apr 2011 9:15 pm
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Here is a link to the ECB bar as mentioned by Discocruise

http://www.ecb.com.au/model/discovery.htm

Anyone down under have any experience with this make ?

or a Genuine LR version (bit too bling) Oops posted above
Embarassed

Last edited by PSC on 17th Apr 2011 11:09 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #78691717th Apr 2011 10:27 am
Kabous

Eish, I think for now I will stick with the soft front and let the insurance worry about mishaps 8) Thanks for all the input, very interesting that the need has been realised and adressed although not there 100% yet.
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #78691817th Apr 2011 10:44 am
pieter

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have the same itch, and think the bar on white in your picture looks great Rolling Eyes

Post #93192515th May 2012 8:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >