Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Caravans
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
KentishMan

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Caravan

Now that we have the car that will safely tow any caravan we have been considering a twin axle (Swift Conquerer). However, I have two concerns, firstly the difficulty of manoeuvring a twin axle van, and secondly the sheer size of the van compared to the average pitch size particularly on continental camp sites. Comments from those that tow twin axle vans would be welcome.
 TDV6 Base 7 Seater Auto, Vienna Green  
Post #8795424th Sep 2006 7:01 pm
cyclic

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I tow a twin axle with a D3 and you will not have any concerns - just have to remember it's there!

In terms of manoeuvring, I would definitely get a mover fitted. It saves a lot of stress and has also got me out of a dead end road. The models designed specifically for twin axles are obviously the best buy.

I haven't taken my present van abroad so I will leave pitch size comments to those that have.

Chris
 www.busyoutdoors.com  
Post #8795524th Sep 2006 7:07 pm
Supergirl

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

up until last week we had a twin axle caravan.

Great to tow steady on the road.

manoeuvring while on the car not a problem as the caravan turns slower being a twin.

The movers on twin axles sit way lower than on the single axle vans which can cause many problems (Trust me I know) we did have our mover modified to sit higher but it was not high enough. Rolling Eyes

The only Twin axle van that I know sits high like a single axle is the Bailey Senator range. check them out you will see what I mean.

We traded our twin axle 2 weeks ago for a single axle van as most of our touring is done in Europe and some of the spaces on sites in Italy Holland twins just simply won't fit in.

Post #8797124th Sep 2006 7:58 pm
KentishMan

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Caravan

Thank you Chris and Supergirl for your comments. They are really helpful and confirm my fears about pitch sizes. Now that Swift have announced a single axle island bed layout, I think we'll check it out at the NEC exhibition next month.
 TDV6 Base 7 Seater Auto, Vienna Green  
Post #8800324th Sep 2006 8:53 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

We have a Abbey GTS Vogue 517 and are sold on the Abbey's - they seem more stylish and modern inside (and to non caravaners that is going to sound cr*p!). We will update to a twin axle in the next fw years and it will pobably be a abbey spectrum.

We found the finish was much better on the abbey then the baileys but it is all personal taste. Try the exhibitions in Birmingham next month. Good deals can be had I think.

Post #8805725th Sep 2006 12:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

Hmm not sure size is really an issue, TAs aren't that much larger, but I've never been abroad. We stay on CLs and forestry commission sites they have never been a problem. One problem that is coming to light on new TAs is the Alko lock, you need to be able to jack the van to put both locks on, leveling is more awkward than a single. That all said and done, the extra space and driving experience makes up for it and more!

Would I go back to a single axle? No way!

As regards the Bailey comments, I feel that the Senators are marketed as top end clubman vans, but they aren't really - what they are though is a lot of van for the money. There has been quite a few comments about cracking in the front and rear panels as has Avondale and Abbey. Bailey seem to have very good customer service, Avondale do not.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #8810925th Sep 2006 9:31 am
Supergirl

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Unnecessary quote removed

Having just bought a German made van

I just can't believe how much better these vans are built than the british vans.

Post #8812725th Sep 2006 10:23 am
al cope

England 

I have had both a Swift Conqueror and now and Abbey Spectrun 620, and both tow really well.

Moving them is easy with the most powerful caravan mover you have - the car its attached to. I'm always amazed when people turn up on site, and the first thing they do is unhitch the 'van and push it onto the pitch. I've only ever done this when there wasnt enough space to use the car.

With regard to pitch sizes, I have found that in France, sites very near the coast have relatively smaller pitches, and e have struglled to get a large twin axle van (plus awaning) on, but the last two years I've picked site just a few miles back inland (and I'm only talking about maybe 5-6 miles), and the pitches have been fine.

With regard to quality - over the last 3-4 years I think quality has reduced, with loads of minor, but bloody iritating defects being seen, plus designs being more for looks than practicality (like on the Abbey not being able to get your nicely folded clothes flat in the overhead lockers!)

Look long and hard before buying, and dont be taken in just by style. Make sure it works for your requirements.

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #8815925th Sep 2006 11:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

The abby spectrum 620 is the one we wanted to upgrade to but they seem to have dropped it from the 2007 model range (including in the swift leisure's other brands).

Don't understand why as the layout won an award last year from practical caravan as the best family caravan (or something like that)

Post #8817525th Sep 2006 12:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >