DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Advice on fitting door rubbing strips
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 
Advice on fitting door rubbing strips

Just got some of the forementioned and read the fitting instructions! how necessary is it for the car to be at 20 degrees for 24 hours as i dont have facilities for this! I dont think the summer temperature is even this in the UK!!!! Rolling Eyes Anyone fitted them can give me any advice?
Thanks

Skep
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #75392229th Jan 2011 5:49 pm
packingstrips

Skep.

Its really important to ensure the vehicle panels are the correct temperature otherwise they will lift.

Could you get hold of a hot air gun?...this is one of the best ways to do it. Put the vehicle inside and heat each panel individually....of course being very careful not to damage the paintwork!!

Post #75392729th Jan 2011 6:04 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

As packingstrips says you need a heat gun and it to be warmer than it is now.. Also the door panels need a good de-greasing and wax removal. if you can't get either of these then do not attempt fitting them or they will definitely peel off.

I did mine last year in direct sun light and the added extra heat from a heat gun and they have not moved in all the cold weather we have had.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #75394529th Jan 2011 6:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 

We got a smallish workshop with a diesel space heater so if I get the disco in there with that on it should warm everything up sufficiently....hopefully (and fan heater for added temperature to the panels), temperature gauge should help! What's best for wax/degreasing? Washing up liquid and warm water? Then rewax a couple of days after?
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #75395729th Jan 2011 7:08 pm
packingstrips

The mouldings come with small alcholic wipes which arent really big enough. I always used a small squirt of brake cleaner on a soft rag...just to get rid of grease etc.

Post #75401929th Jan 2011 9:29 pm
Flack

packingstrips wrote:
The mouldings come with small alcholic wipes which arent really big enough. I always used a small squirt of brake cleaner on a soft rag...just to get rid of grease etc.

Brake cleaner is a very good paint stripper I would not use that on my panels, I used isopropanal on mine , just get a good household degreaser that should be fine.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #75408530th Jan 2011 12:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
packingstrips

Ive always used it as a replacement for wipes as they are very small, if it is sprayed directly on to a soft bag and wiped over the area it has no effect on paintwork.

I believe that brake cleaners contain tetrachloraethylene which is used for its quick drying proporties...some paint strippers contain this . If brake cleaner were a paint stripper how could you spray it on rubber calliper seal ?

Post #75413030th Jan 2011 10:00 am
Flack

packingstrips wrote:
Ive always used it as a replacement for wipes as they are very small, if it is sprayed directly on to a soft bag and wiped over the area it has no effect on paintwork.

I believe that brake cleaners contain tetrachloraethylene which is used for its quick drying proporties...some paint strippers contain this . If brake cleaner were a paint stripper how could you spray it on rubber calliper seal ?

Maybe the modern stuff is ok bud but when I used it in my youth it was potent stuff, also most brake rubbers are made from a silicone rubber and not much can harm them... but funny enough put petrol near them and they go all mushy.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #75414230th Jan 2011 11:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >