Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

NWC Extended Warranty - Claim declined
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gbl120755

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
NWC Extended Warranty - Claim declined

I have a 2005 SE with <75k on the clock. The other day a suspension fault was was recorded and Austral Motors determined that a new compressor was required and a claim was lodged with National Warranty Company (the extended warranty was sold to me by Austral in the first place).

NWC initially declined the claim as the stealer had not sent in the service records at the time of each service and therefore, the warranty was void. This was eventually sorted out (took three days) but they declined the claim a second time claiming wear and tear and stated that a compressor is expected to fail after three or four years. Result: I had to pay for a new compressor ~$1500. Big Cry

Isn't every mechanical part on a vehicle subject to wear and tear Question
If at 75000 km, it is wear and tear and not claimable - what repairs would be covered by the warranty? Exclamation
 2005 SE TDV6, white; remapped to 185Kw; Black widow drawers & cargo barrier; underbody radiator guard; Mitchell bros tow hitch; rhino roof racks; Traxide duel battery system; GME 3440 UHF; Alpine W502 entertainment unit with front & rear camera, HiTv GPS & Hema off-road maps.  
Post #9044763rd Mar 2012 4:58 am
DavidK

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I have extended warranty from National Warranty Company as well, also sold from a Land Rover dealer - I have had a few claims submitted by authorised Land Rover service centers relating to parts that require replacing as the parts had failed, all have so far been declined by NWC on the grounds of 'wear and tear'.....

Interesting thread here as well:
http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic75704.html
 MY05 TDV6 S - manual, King springs lift, General Grabber AT  
Post #9044843rd Mar 2012 8:07 am
pinhead

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

If this was uk then a snotty letter of disappointment and the threat of the insurance ombudsman would usually result in some form of payment even if it was termed a gesture of good will
Send them a letter threatening legal action what have you got to loose
In my opinion a compressor faliure is not wear and tear there may be an element of betterment with new for old replacement

Post #9045483rd Mar 2012 11:59 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

NWC is a crap warranty. If you read the PDS you will find all sorts of get out clauses.
I would make a claim against Austral for selling you a product that is not fit for the purpose and ring the insurance ombudsman to lodge an official complaint.
Someone else at Austral were told parts were not covered with an Allianz warranty bought through Austral, I think they tought the answer would be the same as NWC one.
He is leaving the brand because of it.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=903105#903105
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9047313rd Mar 2012 10:58 pm
7KINGS

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I think you have asked the right question. If 3-4 years is the lifetime of a part then there can be no insurance provided to a car thats 3-4 years old as a majority of its parts are expected to fail. What is the life time of the car then?.

With modern cars you should get around 10 years of relatively trouble free running. Going by that most mechanical parts in the car should be able to do 5-7 years minimum. Compressor failure in 3-4 years is a load of bull. There has to be a limit to Insurance Companies ripping people off.

My car comes off warranty in October. I am waiting for the fun and games to begin!!

Post #9047584th Mar 2012 1:50 am
caverD3

You are not the only one:

http://www.notgoodenough.org/tags.php?tag=...mp;issue=1

http://www.notgoodenough.org/viewtopic.php?p=329251

http://www.notgoodenough.org/viewtopic.php?p=305306

Which warranty did you purchase?

http://nwco.com.au/warranty-products/car-warranties/

http://www.dotcomdotau.com.au/national-war...bsite.html

If this one it should be the same as maufacturers warranty.

http://www.dotcomdotau.com.au/pdf/NWC_Veh_...nts_O1.pdf
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9047654th Mar 2012 4:46 am
Neil Pettersen

Re: NWC Extended Warranty - Claim declined

gbl120755 wrote:
The other day a suspension fault was was recorded and Austral Motors determined that a new compressor was required .................... had to pay for a new compressor ~$1500. Big Cry

............ Many "early days " compressor replacements would have been gel canister ,
but the whole unit was replaced . Most now only get the gel and valve ( $215 parts ; 1 hour labour )
since LR have wised-up. Did your check-light reset on start-up , and re-present on running ?

Post #9051884th Mar 2012 10:48 pm
gbl120755

Re: NWC Extended Warranty - Claim declined

[/quote] ............ Did your check-light reset on start-up , and re-present on running ?[/quote]

Neil - Yes the light reset each time I turned the car on/off. I could then drive between 100m/1km before the warning light can back on.

Carver - I had this warranty http://www.dotcomdotau.com.au/pdf/NWC_Veh_...nts_O1.pdf. But there are get out clauses for wear & tear as there are in the LR warranty. NWC uses the excuse that LR excluded items for wear & tear, so they will to.
 2005 SE TDV6, white; remapped to 185Kw; Black widow drawers & cargo barrier; underbody radiator guard; Mitchell bros tow hitch; rhino roof racks; Traxide duel battery system; GME 3440 UHF; Alpine W502 entertainment unit with front & rear camera, HiTv GPS & Hema off-road maps.  
Post #90782011th Mar 2012 1:39 am
caverD3

NWC are having lend of you. There have been many complaints about their product. I would no accept their excuses and put a complaint into the insurance ombudman in writing.
As it was bought through the dealer put in a compalint about misleading you in the sale of the warranty. LR would cover the part as the compressor is not considered a wearing part so should they.

Just re-read post. Rolling Eyes Embarassed
(Was a claim to NWC made by the dealer on your behalf and was refused or did the dealer just tell you it wasn't covered?)
Ernest Hemmingway

Last edited by caverD3 on 11th Mar 2012 5:19 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #90783111th Mar 2012 3:11 am
Neil Pettersen

A gel canister replacement was all that was needed ( and $15 valve/spring whilst in there..... ) .
I think you were done Shocked

Post #90783211th Mar 2012 3:45 am
gbl120755

caverD3 wrote:
........Was a claim to NWC made by the dealer on your behalf and was refused or did the dealer just tell you it wasn't covered?)

Claim was lodged by the dealer to NWC and declined. I spoke to NWC myself and confirmed all the details/reasons. From their perspective a 6.5 yo car - therefore wear & tear and LRA also exclude wear & tear under their warranty.

We must all remember the compressor did not break, it was recorded as a suspension fault and Austral Motors determined that a new compressor was required because it had low output.

Grahame
Post #90783611th Mar 2012 6:02 am
caverD3

This would be unlikely with an Allianz Warranty. I still think the dealer sold you a dud product.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #90783711th Mar 2012 6:05 am
DiscoTom2011

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

caverD3 wrote:
This would be unlikely with an Allianz Warranty. I still think the dealer sold you a dud product.

Do Allianz have a policy that lasts until the car is older than 6 years?
Having experience in the insurance/extended warranty area before I have never seen a policy that is "just like your new car policy" even the best ones won't cover turbo hoses, interior trims or suspension bushes/ball joints after 100,000klms. Allianz wouldn't even cover the valve kit and drier for my air suspension warning as it classed as a filtration device therefore a filter and not covered.
They all have their fine print which is very rarely disclosed unless you read the PDS back to front, upside down and inside out.

Post #90925114th Mar 2012 4:31 am
caverD3

Years ago I read the NWC PDS and the Alliance one both had huge out clauses.
It comes down to buyer beware but I think for dealers to be selling these policies and selling them as an extension of the manufacturers warranty is wrong and possibly misleading.
I did my research before buying the Allianz warranty both the PDS and reviws and reports both on forums and personally. I was very happy with the product and the wilingness to accept claims. The only claims I have had rejected were battery and intercooler hose.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #90925414th Mar 2012 6:41 am
Neil Pettersen

Quote:
Allianz wouldn't even cover the valve kit and drier for my air suspension warning as it classed as a filtration device therefore a filter and not covered.
They paid my labour ( getting to the valve involves enough to cover the total labour of the job required to fix it all ) and valve ; just paid for a gel can . Your Dealer didn't try very hard did he ?  
Post #90986615th Mar 2012 10:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >