Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Strange Tyre Wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ecosse

Strange Tyre Wear

Having just gone through the saga of brake discs having to be replaced in addition to pads - the pad wear warning light did not come on!! (apparently it is only on 1 wheel per axle!), I was doing a check of tyre pressures (& checking the garage had put the wheels back on properly after changing the brakes) and I noticed something strange.
Tyres are new Pirellis (sub 1000 miles) but the nearside front has very strange wear on the outside.. it is as if the rubber is perishing Twisted Evil and is coming away in pieces as if being scraped off as opposed to straightforward wear. It is only the outside 1/4 to 1/3 of the tread that is affected - the middle & inside seem to be fine. The other front is fine, and no sign of problem on the rears. Have never seen this before on any car - any thoughts? - faulty tyre, wrong balance, alighnment etc?

Post #825894th Sep 2006 8:40 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Could still be scrubbing in. I would give it another few hundred miles before worrying.

There is a TSB about unusual tyre wear, which involves wheel alignment, and as yours is an early vehicle you may want to question your dealer about the issue.

Post #825924th Sep 2006 9:02 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

out of curiosity next time your going round a roundabout see if you notice excessive transmission noise.

My first set were replaced, because of uneven wear, but also they were casselated which to my mind means theres more to the problem than just alignment. I have a concern around some of the more mechanical elements of the transmission given unusual noise when turning to right at medium speeds. (gearbox sort of groaning noise which doesnt sound as bad going to right.)
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #826024th Sep 2006 9:31 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Dylansdad
your not the only one, see:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82497#82497
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #826164th Sep 2006 10:08 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

thanks caver, but my problem is turning to right Confused although I will ask this question when it goes into dealers tomorrow as I also have experienced the uneven idle speed and stalling power problem anounced today. (previously reported and dismissed- my dealer and LR guy saying nothing wrong because no fault codes Rolling Eyes that was a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned it)
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #826404th Sep 2006 11:36 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
tyre wear

I have just had two new tyres fitted to the front and I have only done 5,000 miles. I noticed it when I was on my holiday.

I had to have a new right-hand ball joint fitted when I first got the car, this was done with only 1500 miles on it. I don't think the dealer checked the tracking when the fitted the new ball joint, because when I collected my car I drove off only to find my steering wheel was not in the centre, so I took it straight back to them.

Also when the put the new tyres on they damaged my front rims so these had to be fixed as well.

I am now considering finding a new dealer.

But very happy with the car its just the after sales care thats sh**e

Flack. Confused

Post #830036th Sep 2006 4:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >