Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Tyre wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Now I am starting to worry if my Scorpion Zero tyres (factory originals) wore out to soon! There was no uneven wear on the fronts but they had to be changed at 22000 miles.

I have now noticed that the backs are significantly more worn on inside which was not obvious from my initial inspection. Mixed driving on motorway and town, plus about 4000 miles towing a caravan. I will look back at all the posting on tracking issues. Does 22k for the front sound too low?
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #825554th Sep 2006 6:16 pm
Jenko

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
tyre wear

will keep an eye on 1st service due in december - thanks for all th info - it has put my mind at ease!!!!!!!

Post #825604th Sep 2006 6:55 pm
delyvaldes

It would seem that in general the rear tyres are wearing worse on the inside area than the fronts but I cannot say if that is on all vehicles, just those that I have seen.

WPAP is a warranty process whereby dealers require prior approval before replacing certain parts (the list varies but tyres are always on it) some dealers are exempt from the WPAP process which means replacement is at their discretion - those on the WPAP programme would struggle to get full replacement after 15K's worth of usage. You would have to ask the dealer individually if they are on it or not.

I no longer work for either a dealership or LR.

Post #826835th Sep 2006 9:08 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have now booked the car into the dealer for them to check the tyre wear (and a few other issues).
Having been informed by this site about possible issues, causes and cures, I now have to tread the balance between looking like an interested/informed customer, and being a pesty customer who thinks he knows more than the dealer. Knowledge is a great and dangerous thing.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #827015th Sep 2006 10:10 am
delyvaldes

wise words

Post #827055th Sep 2006 10:24 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Interestingly my Scorpions are all wearing the same but with much more wear in the centre of the tyre - down to 3mm on the central groove after 12k miles but 4.5/5mm elsewhere. I check tyre pressures every week and don't think I am over inflating.

Post #829605th Sep 2006 11:41 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

At 8500 miles my passenger side front tyre is showing signs of wear at the edges.

I mentioned TSB LA204-008 Discovery 3/LR3 - Uneven Tire Wear, but the response I received on the phone (vehicle is in for a service) was that as the wear is not excessive they would not do anything.

Has the text for the TSB been changed by LR to include the words "excessive wear" or does it still only refer to "uneven tire wear"?

If they are taking this approach, what should I do? Pay myself for the geometry settings to be checked or wait until the wear becomes excessive?

Post #829685th Sep 2006 11:58 pm
zig

At 8500 miles my passenger side front tyre is showing signs of wear at the edges.

I mentioned TSB LA204-008 Discovery 3/LR3 - Uneven Tire Wear to the dealer, but the response I received on the phone (vehicle is in for a service) was that as the wear is not excessive they would not do anything.

Has the text for the TSB been changed by LR to include the words "excessive wear" or does it still only refer to "uneven tire wear"?

If they are taking this approach, what should I do? Pay myself for the geometry settings to be checked or wait until the wear becomes excessive?

Post #829695th Sep 2006 11:58 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

call LR customer services and ask them to call the dealer. Im sure they would rather sort it now rather than have you claiming new tyres off LR. (Assuming its been caught early enough.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #829716th Sep 2006 12:00 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Why not ask them to check the geometry and if its not out of alignment, you pay for the check, if it is then there is an issue to address Wink

Post #829746th Sep 2006 12:03 am
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

whats to stop a cowboy dealer like this one seems to be just making the adjustment and telling you there was no fault ? Confused
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #829816th Sep 2006 12:08 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Since relignment by dealer, mine has given even tyre wear, but the standard tyres are wearing out fast, Ill be looking at Coopers for the new set.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #829866th Sep 2006 12:28 am
zig

Does anyone know how long it takes for 'bush settle' to to occur? Does it occur reasonably quickly (within a few 100 miles) and then stablise or is it more progressive (over a few 1000 miles)?

The TSB says that 'calculated geometry settings' are now being used. Am I correct in assuming that this means the initial setting is calculated such that it assumes that 'bush settle' will occur and the geometry will then be correct when 'bush settle' has occurred?

I would see this approach working if the amount of 'bush settle' was approximately the same on all vehicles. However, the TSB states 'This issue is not experienced on all vehicles' so does this mean that the 'calculated geometry settings' is an average/mean/compromise setting that takes account of all cases?

Perhaps someone can someone can explain how 'calculated geometry settings' actually works.

Post #831016th Sep 2006 12:33 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

must be quick because my steering wheel was off centre when delivered!
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #832756th Sep 2006 10:19 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

How bad has the wear got to be before they will consider replacement?. My car at 6K has just started to show abnormal wear on the outside edges on the fronts.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #832776th Sep 2006 10:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >