DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Standard radio - reception an issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
dc-99

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Standard radio - reception an issue?

Hi,

Just got my LR D3 last week - very pleased so far.

However, one niggly thing. the radio reception is very poor. my fraverote radio station keeps fading out. It also happens to a lesser degree to other stations (all FM).

Is this a usual problem?

I would suspect that the antenna is damage or unpluged (the antenna is on the back side windows - right?)

Any help? I haven't gone back to the dealer yet, but wanted to know if it was a common fault from this group.

Thanks

Post #8004122nd Aug 2006 9:23 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine did the same, am is a known issue, software upgrades can help but not always. My am improved but sometimes the fm will sound like it is playing through a smelly sock! Confused
The dealer has ordered a new signal amplifier but I am unsure if it has an amplifier on the fm signal (the DII didn't) Anyone know?
I'll let you know how it goes.
Let your dealer know about the problem.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8008023rd Aug 2006 12:00 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had mentioned this in a reply to another thead of yours DC.

Basically NVD disconnect the window antennas, install a rubbish amplified thing just above the drivers rearmost side window, and send them out that way. You can regain decent reception by reconnecting the antenna in the rear window (drivers side - commercials dont have a diversity setup). This will probably need a bit of soldering. You should also remove the alluminium panel in this window, as that blocks the signals to an extent as well.

Some dealers will fit a roof mounted antenna when someone complains, though there's no need for this if you reconnect the standard one yourself.

Brendan
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #8008223rd Aug 2006 12:16 am
caverD3

Sorry bkehoe,
missed your reply
NVD?
diversity set up?
I am somewhat confused here. no aluminium panel that i can see.
I had asumed the window antennas were connected.
rather the dealer sorts this one than me, i consider it a design fault.
But if I can understand how it works it will give me something to argue with.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8008423rd Aug 2006 12:28 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

My base model radio reception is also very poor. in fact, I thought perhaps the anntenna had been left unconnected somehow. i would love to read a translation of BKEHOE's recent post. Sounds like there might be some usable information in there.

Wonder what side of the car the drivers side is, and if any of this stuff is reversed in my left hand drive car.

Post #8009923rd Aug 2006 5:27 am
DiscoStu

England 

bkehoe and dc-99 are talking about commercial D3's - they're fitted with aluminium (or aluminum! Rolling Eyes Wink ) panels inside the rear windows. Apparently the aerial is disconnected too...... Rolling Eyes

Its all to do with import tax to ROI
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #8023923rd Aug 2006 5:20 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, sorry, should have been clearer - was replying to dc99, as it's only to do with the conversion done by a third party company to make the d3 'commercial'.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #8026823rd Aug 2006 6:58 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I had a base before swapping to an "S". The radio only picked up Radio2 unless I was in the dealers where it worked. Autoelectrician said it was a cheap radio.
BP

Post #8029623rd Aug 2006 10:22 pm
MJ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

You're probably right - it is a cheap radio, but I don't have any problems with the reception on my base model. The reception is pretty good, and certainly better than in the Pug 406 I thankfully got rid of earlier in the year.

Maybe this is something to do with signal availability in different areas ??
 Arctic Frost TDV6 5-seat
Terrain response
Climate control
Xenons
(Yes, it's an odd spec - but I like it!) 

Post #8030523rd Aug 2006 11:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steveho

United Kingdom 

Saw one the other day and the connector on the o/s/r window top was adrift which caused reception issues-still worked pretty good considering

Think the tailgate being closed caused it to work loose

Post #8078826th Aug 2006 7:58 pm
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I wonder if something like that was wrong with mine. Radio 2 without fail but other stations were pretty poor.

Post #8087427th Aug 2006 9:16 pm
dc-99

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,

I some how managed to slightly split this thread.

Anyway - an up date (as posted on the other thread where this came up).

I took it back to the dealer and he said it was an issue with the previous batch of commercials (they arrive in Ireland as Cars and are then converted - rear seats removed and the floor extended 'permenantly' to the back of the front row seats. then the rear doors are paneled behind the glass and the same for the rear 'boot' windows).
My D3 was from the later batch and shouldn't have the problem (antenna disconnected or the aluminum panel interfering) has it was supposed to have been addressed.

Anyway it is to get an external roof antenna fitted on Friday - not sure I am gonna like this but it is supposed to be a 'beesting' type or size antenna - possible 6 inches in length - I am woried about multi story garage clearance etc. - looks as well.

Gotta have radio reception thought.

Regards.

Post #8126929th Aug 2006 7:50 pm
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

For what it is worth...
Here in Sydney the radio reception in this vehicle is the worst I have experienced (including the 2 x D1 vehicles I had previously). The dealer says I am not alone. I have been able to identify a 'technical reason' each time reception fades out (like buildings, bridges, etc). So it seems to come down to design rather than fault.

Having said that, every other feature of the vehicle has met or exceeded expectations so far. It's a pity that the radio is crook...
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #8132630th Aug 2006 1:17 am
caverD3

haggis
I find that the fm signal is the problem rather than am. am does sometimes get poor if a building is in the way. dealer has ordered an amplifier for mine but i thought the signal amp was only for the am siganal.
i loose fmsignal at narrabeen and monavale for mmm and wsfm at monavale. what is your eperience of poor signal?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #8132730th Aug 2006 2:06 am
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

caverD3,
To be fair my experience is limited so far. I have only had it for 11 days and 3 of those it was in having accessories fitted.

I rarely listen to FM, mostly AM. My daily commute has me traveling Epping Road, Gore Hill Fwy, and into Nth Sydney. There are several patches on the Gore Hill (overpasses and the like), and a couple in Nth Sydney (tall buildings) where the radio fails.

All FM listening has been done in a different direction (North or West), and I haven't experienced any difficulties. I put it down to less radio unfriendly structures. On trips out of Sydney I usually take a collection of my favourite CDs.
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #8132830th Aug 2006 3:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >