DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sid

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Suspension Fault

Hi All

Hope you can help! I had my Discovery 3 TDV6 fully serviced and MOT'd on Thursday this week (MOT passed OK), drove it home OK with no problems. Went out with my family yesterday and within 10 minutes up came "Suspension Fault" warning indicator so we drove back home. Strange thing is the vehicle was absolutely fine before I had it serviced! Any how I called the Landrover Assistance Helpline they arranged for the AA to come out which by arrangement they did this morning. The AA guy started the Disco up, no warning messages, he could not identify a fault but was helpful in trying out a few things like taking vehicle out for a test drive, still no fault found.

On returning back to my driveway he tried the different suspension height settings up and down, although no fault showed up, going down in height appeared OK but going back up it was extremely slow to raise and kept getting a message saying "Suspension will rise when system has cooled" which we both thought was a bit bizarre as the vehicle was hardly warmed up. We tried calling the dealer but they are all closed in the near by areas.

Does this look like the compressor is failing? any suggestions on what to check? I have only a weeks worth of warranty left and want to make sure that when I contact the dealer tomorrow morning they don't pull a fast one on me. Any advice welcome?

Regards

Sid.

Post #7262345th Dec 2010 12:08 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Can you hear the compressor running?
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #7262375th Dec 2010 12:14 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

if the AA guy was cycling through suspension heights several times then the meesage you saw is normal.

If you got the system message after one full cycle then it could be either the compressor itself or a faulty valve.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #7262405th Dec 2010 12:17 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

MOT guys jacked on the compressor? (though imagine that would kill it rather than cause random errors...)
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #7262435th Dec 2010 12:26 pm
sid

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Renton, could not hear compressor, probably because it was -3c and the heater fans were on full; we should have turned off the fans in hind-site

Hi JF Lux, he did cyle through the height adjustment a couple of times so if this is normal then I can probably ignore the second message "Suspension will rise when system has cooled".

It just seems so coincidental that after having had the car serviced only two days back I am now getting this problem. I had the same experience of problems after a service performed by the dealer a year ago, when the washer bottle fluid was running empty, that turned out to the stopper in the bottom of tghe washer tank and also the coolant fluid indicating it was low all the time which was apparently the cap not sealing properly. Is this just a case of a sloppy dealer? I feel I should make a formal complaint to Landrover UK as I really am not impressed.

Regards

Sid.

Post #7262455th Dec 2010 12:33 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You will usually get a "Suspension Raising Slowly" message after a couple of suspension cycles, but the cooled message seems to be coming on prematurely.

I have only ever seen it once on mine, and that was after crossing a desert, in 50+ degrees using lots of height changes.

Post #7262675th Dec 2010 1:15 pm
okennedy

Ireland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Sid,

I had this message displayed after the suspension dropped and i got the drive at 30mph warning as well as the red suspension warning light. The compressor was noisy so i removed the compressor cover and cleaned out all the mud and crud that had built up. The compressor has four small cooling fins that i cleaned with a small brush. Also used a can of compressed air, obtained from a computer shop. So far so good. Hope it helps.
Regards

O Kennedy

Post #7264725th Dec 2010 8:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nic

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had the exact same problem on mine. Changed the air compressor filter that . It's placed right under the left rear door. You would have to loosen the compressor a little bit. The filter was all broken and tiny silica balls had leaked out.

The job was quite simple. It's good to clear the fault codes after.
 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE -05
ex Discovery II, TD5 ES 

Post #7271086th Dec 2010 9:45 pm
NJF

sid,

SWMBO's 2007 D3 has started to do the same in the cold weather. I'm guessing that it's cold and salty water on 4-year old sensors. The fault clears after the car is rebooted. Sometimes a short reboot is OK, sometimes you need to let the car go to sleep. I'll watch it for a few more days before I send the car to LR for a sensor check/renew. I wish 10forcash lived a good deal nearer to me. Sad

To cap it all, I started the RRSnort after work tonight and it showed a suspension fault ... after having been parked in the office garage all day. Big Cry

Land Rover's finest. I wouldn't be without them. Mr. Green

Post #7271196th Dec 2010 9:57 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
You will usually get a "Suspension Raising Slowly" message after a couple of suspension cycles, but the cooled message seems to be coming on prematurely.

Gareth - Possibly. But I have found it does depend if you keep trying to play with the suspension after you get the "raising slowly" message.

Reading some of the posts, could it be a condensation issue...? I.e cold then very quickly in warm air once in a garage...? Just a thought.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #7271256th Dec 2010 10:05 pm
Dave Legacy

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Cycling the suspension from offroad to access even a few times will overheat the compressor and is a normal occurrence so don't worry about that. My wife experienced a suspension fault today, rebooted, and is back to normal. Last time it happened was a couple months back. At some point I'll have to figure out what's wrong. I'm starting to think this is the LR3/D3 version of what we call "3-amigos" here in the states.
 2006 LR3 SE V8 w/HD Pkg.  
Post #7272787th Dec 2010 6:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >