Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

vague steering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
vague steering

The D3 goes in for the 60,000 mile service next week and I've asked them to look into the steering and suspension. It just feels incredibly tired for such relatively low mileage. Over the last 5,000 miles the handling has gradually deteriorated, with the car wallowing more and constant, minor steering corrections being needed as the car seems to wander with every bump and dip. I check the tyre pressures weekly (ATRs for the last 15,000 miles running factory pressures) and there's no pronounced wear issues that I can see, so I'm excluding that from the list of possibles. There's no knocking or clunking either.

Anyone else had similar problems at this kind of mileage?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #70341814th Oct 2010 12:47 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

ARB
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #70342914th Oct 2010 1:21 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

My initials as well as an anagram of bra. Shocked
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #70350714th Oct 2010 3:48 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Arab Rent Boy?
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #70356714th Oct 2010 6:03 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Nah, it's Dick in the middle. Whistle
Post #70359514th Oct 2010 7:17 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
Dick in the middle

ahh...a Thai lady-boy...
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #70360114th Oct 2010 7:24 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I shall bow to your greater experience on the subject John Laughing
Post #70360914th Oct 2010 7:28 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Re: vague steering

NoDo$h wrote:

Yes.

Thats pretty much identical to what mine did, starting from same mileage, when the car was just over 2yrs old.

Over the following 6mths or so, nearly all bushes were replaced, not sure in what sequence, think they started with the ARB's then went on to all the rest of the bushes, followed by steering arms and front wheel bearings.

After that lot it was nearly back to 'magic carpet' but not quite. Unfortunately, the tracking & alignment wasn't set up too well, which manifested as uneven wear on the (new) tyres. Following a full realignment - Bingo! back to how it should be.

I reckon the biggest single change was when the steering arms were replaced.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #70371314th Oct 2010 9:50 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

You fill me with moist hopefulness Thumbs Up

Big Cry
Post #70371814th Oct 2010 9:56 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Verdict is excessive play on the NSF wheel bearing. Will see how things go on the drive home this evening Thumbs Up
Post #70589320th Oct 2010 12:07 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Top job by Yeovil Land Rover. As mentioned above, NSF wheel bearing diagnosed as being the problem and duly replaced (Warranty). Drove like a new car on the way home last night.

Also replaced the tailgate actuator as the cable had snapped (Warranty), replaced pads front and rear (Walletey) and carried out a 60k service.

Thanks chaps. Thumbs Up
Post #70644121st Oct 2010 1:07 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I can understand some amount of play in the steering and tracking in a straight line, but how can a dodgy wheel bearing make the D3 wallow?

I'm only asking because something strange/interesting has happened to me.... Shocked

For some time (around 6-12 months), I've been noticeing my D3 wallowing in corners and on roundabouts.....it felt like the shock absorbers were knackered and the front-end used to roll significantly on bends (probably the back-end too, but it's easier to compare the angle of the bonnet to the horizon)...

Whilst checking the faultcodes yesterday with my Faultmate I noticed that there was an update for the Ride Level Control Module (air suspension ECU)....same hardware number, but a new software level (from AB to AC).

Remembering that one of the LR techs that participate on this site mentioned to someone that, upon replacing their compressor, they should get the latest software put on, I thought that this new software would be kinder on the compressor.

I flashed the new software and didn't even give a thought to the handling.

Much to my surprise, the D3 feels much sharper and the body roll feels minimal - a big big improvement.

Of course, this could all be in my head Laughing , but even though I've only driven it 30km since then, it feels different and much tighter.

Is it possible that this new software actually has a different control strategy for the valves (I'm mainly thinking about the cross-link valves) as well as the compressor and its valve block?

And to bring this back on topic, is there any way to find out if Yeovil updated your suspension ECU software with a newer version Al?
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #70647721st Oct 2010 2:06 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Re: vague steering

DaveT wrote:
NoDo$h wrote:

Yes.

Thats pretty much identical to what mine did, starting from same mileage, when the car was just over 2yrs old.

Over the following 6mths or so, nearly all bushes were replaced, not sure in what sequence, think they started with the ARB's then went on to all the rest of the bushes, followed by steering arms and front wheel bearings.

After that lot it was nearly back to 'magic carpet' but not quite. Unfortunately, the tracking & alignment wasn't set up too well, which manifested as uneven wear on the (new) tyres. Following a full realignment - Bingo! back to how it should be.

I reckon the biggest single change was when the steering arms were replaced.

A Dave sez!! Have a set of well worn tyres for when the bushes settle and it needs a 4 wheel alignment after the inner edges look like Kojak!!

Post #70647821st Oct 2010 2:12 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

PaulP wrote:
And to bring this back on topic, is there any way to find out if Yeovil updated your suspension ECU software with a newer version Al?

Well, if the car was changing direction all the time and the NSF shocks having to work harder, the rest of the car would be unsettled but I shall follow up on your comment and ask YLR if they did any updates to the suspension software.
Post #70649121st Oct 2010 2:34 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Surely if a front wheel bearing was goosed and had a fair bit of play, then it would affect the tracking a bit, but it wouldn't actually steer the car off course as by rotating it would hold itself pretty much straight under load anyway...

And I'm not sure how this could affect the shock absorber as these work on an up and down basis, not side to side....

The software thing was just because I seemingly noticed a big change in the handling that both new tyres and lowering the height via calibration has been unable to improve much......I literally flashed the new software and it seems to stay much much flatter around bends and roundabouts (although I need to keep testing it to see if I'm not just imagining it).

It would be interesting to know if they had updated the software - just out of interest really because if they have, then you could just be seeing the improvement I've also noticed... Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #70649621st Oct 2010 2:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >