Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Extended Controls for Radio to Improve Camping Experiance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Commerspec

United Kingdom 
Extended Controls for Radio to Improve Camping Experiance

I use my D4 Commercial for many a camping trip with the LR Day tent. It works brillianly but there is a couple of modications that I would like to make.

1. Control of on/off and volume of radio from rear cabin and also from rear pillar

2. Control of interior lights from rear cabin

3. Control of number plates lights seperately again from rear cabin.

I realise that I will nedd to do some wire tracing and chasing in order to make these functions work but in theory it should be possible.

1. Was thinking of purchasing a steering wheel control for the radio and placing this in roof next to rear reading lights and another fitted to the rear plastic area on one side. Only problem I will also need a on/off switch for the radio.

2. Running another switch from front light again to rear roof control panel

3. This may well involve running a wire full length but it might well prove easier to fit new light from a 12v feed or even the white trailer plug

Any ideas or has anyone attempted anything similar?

I am reasonably skilled with wiring and in my mind the biggest problem is going to be chasing the wires in, especially as we are talking roof lining.

Thanks in advance for any help / ideas.
 D4 Commercial June 2010
VW Golf GTI Mk 2
Audi V8 (3.6)
Ransomes Marquis 18" (Briggs) 

Post #69479820th Sep 2010 10:00 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

1) Doubt this is possible for On/off (other than a Long Stick Smile
2) Why not just have some additional interior LED lights? Small & efficient. Probably better positioned than the std lights.
3) Same for 2 really, I assume you want the number plate light to come on for additional lighting at the back in the daytent? Again, would probably be easier to have some descrete LED lights.

If you keep putting the interior light & side lights on, it will soon drain your battery. much better to have dedicated LED lights for yoru purposes. Do yoiu ahev an Aux battery installed as that will definately help if your using it for camping Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #69480120th Sep 2010 10:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Commerspec

United Kingdom 

Stick has already been employed but wanted to make something a little more special.

Good idea with LED lights I will see what I can get.

Wish I did have and Aux battery but instead may have to reply on the 4th emergancy service!
 D4 Commercial June 2010
VW Golf GTI Mk 2
Audi V8 (3.6)
Ransomes Marquis 18" (Briggs) 

Post #69483820th Sep 2010 11:47 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It wouldn't be too hard to connect a second switch panel in parallel with the resistive ladder wires at the back of the radio, but you won't be able to control the on/off button - there is no switched ignition feed to control power to the radio (which I guess is what you're looking for) - it is done either via the knob on the front, or via the CANBus.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #69484520th Sep 2010 12:00 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Commerspec wrote:
Good idea with LED lights I will see what I can get.

run a search on the forum and you will get a couple of threads on additional LED's in the interior. I've fitted two light bars in the boot and they spread quite a lot of light when the boot is open. So this would solve one of your problems. The lights are running off a second battery but they are also switched and adding the switch is easy even if you don't want an auxilliary battery set-up.

Edited as I have found the relevant links for you Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic17752.html?highlight=%2Bled

http://www.litewave.co.uk/litewave_led_bars.asp

I installed the same LED's as in the link above.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #69484920th Sep 2010 12:08 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I have a solar powered lamp in the back of my off-roading D1 - I fully appreciate that you are limited for windows in the Commercial but the solar panel on mine is about 6" in diameter and is attached to the dog guard (gun rack?) and loosely 'aimed' at the window.

This gives me power for a 15 LED panel that is really quite bright and which can also be operated using a remote control!

Also - by disconnecting the power lead (which has a screw connector into the back of the light unit), I can then use the LED head as a worklight for the times when I need to be under the vehicle etc.

Just a thought...

Post #69496920th Sep 2010 5:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >