DISCO3.CO.UK > General

oncoming train journey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
oncoming train journey

Hi all,

This coming Friday I will be travelling to Italy by train, taking the car with me on the train.
Now on the dbautozug website, it is stated that you have to lock your car but not engage the alarm as it might be set off by the movements the train makes.
So I have checked the manual for manual locking. I'm not trying to lock the manual, but trying to manual lock the car Laughing .
Anyhow, manual locking (removing the cover on the left front door etc) engages locks AND all alarm, just not the tilt sensor and the room alarm (or what should i call that in English). This I can also achieve by double clicking the lock button on the FOB...

Has anybody been on a train and how did you lock your car then?

TIA, regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #68184711th Aug 2010 9:31 pm
squiblet552

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Been on a boat, locked it by pressing lock button on keyfob twice. Several cars on journey had their alarms going off, but our disco was fine. Hope this helps!

Post #68184811th Aug 2010 9:37 pm
flinty99

England 

Not been on the train but have been on plenty of ferries (other this weekend but that's a different story Very Happy )

Anyway, I would think some of the ferry crossings are more likely to tilt the car that the train.

Anyway, I just double click and not had any problems as yet.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #68184911th Aug 2010 9:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Well I'm quite sure that the train won't be tilting enough to set the alarm off, but I suppose it has to do with the moving of the train (up to 160 kmh backwards) and the shocks it receives when accelerating/decelerating or changing engines.

Thanks for the replies!

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #68185311th Aug 2010 9:46 pm
THE DOCTOR46

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I press the keyfob lock button twice when the dogs in the car to deactivate the alarm and this works.

Post #68292316th Aug 2010 8:10 am
al cope

England 

I thought the twice press option doesnt de-activate the alarm, just the inside motion sensors.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #68708028th Aug 2010 7:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I thought the double press was for the motion detectors too. My D3 does not appear to have a tilt alarm either and so ferry and train journeys have not been a problem.

Post #6898166th Sep 2010 9:03 am
MickK

United Kingdom 

I'd have thought the double lock feature would be enough. It will only alarm the doors and they shouldn't be affected during the journey...

Post #6906908th Sep 2010 1:19 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Double click within 6 seconds iirc.

Post #6911539th Sep 2010 1:55 pm
wvlenthe

You have to double click within 3 seconds to disable the motion sensors, it doesn't do anything else. Superlocking is active on the first click.

BTW the journey went fine but the D3 is about the maximum size that will fit onto these trains.
First of all, on the booking site, you can indicate what size your car is. You have to fill out the height. There's a special category there: Landrover Discovery 3/Range Rover Sport.

Then I discovered that the max height they can handle is 185cm. You have to stand in the middle of the five positions on the wagen where the deck sits the lowest and the height of the D3 can be accomodated.

Furthermore the D3 is so wide that the wheels don't fit between the steel guidance rails and they have to make a special provision so your tyres don't get cut in half during the journey. Also, you can only just enter and leave the car through the doors thanks to the width... and I'm certainly not a fat guy.

I still think it's a great way to travel.

regards,

Wiljo
Post #6912889th Sep 2010 7:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >