Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

To Supagard or not to Supagard......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
russellc

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
To Supagard or not to Supagard......

Apologies if this topic has already been covered, had a quick search but couldnt find anything....

Just had the Stealer on the phone. I pick up my new D4 on Friday (delaying to get the new plate) and he has offered me a "special offer" on Supagard for ONLY £199!!

Had a look on various sites and the opinion on the value of Supagard is mixed at best. On the other hand £199 isnt a lot if it actually provides some protection for a £40K+ car. I know the actual stuff is available for £30 but I'm not convinced I wouldn't make an Censored of doing it myself, so dont really mind paying someone to do it.

The question is therefore, does the bloody stuff actually work?

Any opinions welcome!

Post #68777831st Aug 2010 10:35 am
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Before everyone else comes in and says it's crap I actually do rate this stuff. Had experience on several new BMWs in the past ALL supagarded and all kept their 'as new' shine over couple of years and just needed washing.

I would pay that if it was my new D4. Thumbs Up
 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #68777931st Aug 2010 10:41 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It isn't crap, but it's probably the biggest rip-off that most car dealers try and get away with.

The "supaguard" paint treatment is really nothing more than paying the dealer 250 quid to get their valeting chap to apply 10-20 quids worth of sealant....

If you bought a brand new car (i.e. freshly painted and uncontaminated), it will keep it's shine anyway for a year or two without doing anything else but washing it.

I wouldn't pay more than 60 quid to do it, and would only do this if I really couldn't be bothered to spend 1-2 hours doing it myself on a Sunday morning.

Another advantage of doing it yourself on a brand new car is that you'll get a chance to get "up close and personal" and spot any other defects that the dealer missed on the PDI before delivery.

Looking at it another way, the 250 quid could be used to buy enough sealant and polish to last you a few years and have enough left over to buy a full-size spare wheel of eBay Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #68778831st Aug 2010 10:57 am
GoatOfMendez

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Supaguard is a very good synthetic sealant. It does what it says well. But it is NOT worth 200 sheets.

What maintains the shine of the vehicle is not any form of top layer protection. A surface is shiny and glossy when incident light falling upon it is reflected back to the viewer. A dull and lack lustre finish is caused by very fine scratches inflicted on the clear coat from poor wash technique - which scatters incident light. Top layer protection is just that, a protective layer that does help debris and junk sticking to the paint and makes it a darn sight easier to keep clean.

Collinite 476S or similar for £20 will do an admirable job and will last for months.

Post #68782931st Aug 2010 12:28 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

I enjoy washing and waxing my own car regularly, so would never bother.
I use Autoglym Extra Gloss sealant and wash with Autoglym shampoo - water (and hopefully therefore the crap in the water) bounces off - works for me and doesnt take all day (I'm not a detailer - spend enough time on the car as is according to SWMBO)

Post #68784031st Aug 2010 12:45 pm
Ken

The cost is the Labour

Google Autoglym LifeShine / autosmart Silverseal and DIY (but straight away)

Post #68786431st Aug 2010 2:01 pm
jkp

Scotland 

PaulP wrote:
It isn't crap, but it's probably the biggest rip-off that most car dealers try and get away with.

The "supaguard" paint treatment is really nothing more than paying the dealer 250 quid to get their valeting chap to apply 10-20 quids worth of sealant....

If you bought a brand new car (i.e. freshly painted and uncontaminated), it will keep it's shine anyway for a year or two without doing anything else but washing it.

I wouldn't pay more than 60 quid to do it, and would only do this if I really couldn't be bothered to spend 1-2 hours doing it myself on a Sunday morning.

Another advantage of doing it yourself on a brand new car is that you'll get a chance to get "up close and personal" and spot any other defects that the dealer missed on the PDI before delivery.

Looking at it another way, the 250 quid could be used to buy enough sealant and polish to last you a few years and have enough left over to buy a full-size spare wheel of eBay Thumbs Up

What Paul said Thumbs Up

I've worked on many many many cars that have supaguard and the luck of the draw as to whether you get it applied correctly is one of the main issues that I'd struggle with as how do you tell how well it's applied?? I've seen cars that have just had it applied and I can find no trace of a sealant on the paint work, I've also worked on cars that have had it on for up to a year and still giving protection.

Also one to watch is the drive thru' foam and jet wash chaps. They use a caustic foam mix which will strip wax and sealant either totally if used regular and patchy if used once in a while.

Save your cash and get hold of nanolex or zaino sealant which will last for between 6-8months, but if you use it once every two months you'll be well covered Thumbs Up

Post #68786631st Aug 2010 2:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

jkp wrote:
What Paul said Thumbs Up

Woohooo....you've just made my day John Mr. Green Thumbs Up

3100+ posts and finally someone agrees with me on something Rolling with laughter
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #68787031st Aug 2010 2:17 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I'd pay a decent detailer to prep it properly before the dealer even got thier grubby mitts on it.
It'll only get done by the same oik that goes round every day with a dirty chamois leather.
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #68794031st Aug 2010 4:32 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I watched in horror one day as a dealerships 'valeter' Supagarded a lovely new black FFRR that was sitting sold in the showroom.
The car was dusty and he did it with a Supagard sponge that had already been used and looked very manky, I know 100% that the poor FFRR would have looked worse once he had carried out his 'work'

Post #68794731st Aug 2010 4:52 pm
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

And then ... given that the dealer did get his hands on my motor to Supaguard it before I tore it away from his grasp, how should I care for it without wrecking the PTFE coating and leaving it looking manky but achieving a good waxy water bubble finish?
She is now a year old - one of the @original@ D4s - so maybe the Suparard is finished by now, so what is the next step?
And how come it suddenly got so difficult, I remember when it was a simple wash and wax.
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #70982729th Oct 2010 4:06 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Didn't realise your so close to me. Never seen the car about. I'm through W Calder quite a bit, just along in the in Longridge. Thumbs Up

Post #71002330th Oct 2010 9:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >