Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

first long journey with sat nav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
first long journey with sat nav

hmmm, I went to england and back earlier this week, when I was on the M6 the satnav insisited I go on the M1, when I came back on the M1 it insisted I go on the M6 !!! Rolling Eyes OK so what am I doing wrong, why would it possibly want me to go 70 miles out of my way ???

I also tried setting the preferences for main roads on/off which just seemed to make it worse as it's all or nothing - most sat navs seem to have a sliding scale of choice in this respect.
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #7376628th Jul 2006 11:39 am
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

On the return journey, were you given a choice of three routes; short, normal or quick?
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #7376828th Jul 2006 11:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Could also be TMC information affecting the calculation.

Post #7378828th Jul 2006 12:58 pm
Alex

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

We went from Yorkshire to Cardigan the other week and it sent me on all sorts of funny roads. The biggest problem being that it seems to like town centres rather than bypass routes!

On the return journey, taking the same 'fast route' option it chose a totally different route....

Do you think TMC traffic info affects the route calculation?

Cheers

Alex

Post #7380728th Jul 2006 2:06 pm
randalls

I was given a choice of 3 routes just a slight 30 mile diversion on the quick route !!!! possibly TMC was the culprit, there was congestion, but I have never trusted TMC being in the NE of scotland as updates are about 8 weeks behind, I learned that TMC is much better updated in central England & even began to believe it Laughing

I still think there should be a user input on the mix of urban vs motorway routes- this could be affecting the sat navs liking for town centres.....mine just loves King st in Aberdeen, and any journey into aberdeen or south includes a tour of King st.... the most crowded street in the town centre Confused Its never yet told me to go on the ring road, but nobody in their right mind would.....
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #7392028th Jul 2006 7:30 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes I agree, an "avoid town centre" would be very useful.

Post #7392328th Jul 2006 7:33 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

maybe the shortly to be announced 'enhancement programme' for the ice and sat nav will address these issues.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7400628th Jul 2006 9:18 pm
randalls

let's hope so, I tried the navman a while ago, that was trying to get me onto the M40 at a restricted junction, but was more user adjustable. I am sure it's 50% me with a set idea of what is the 'best' route, and of course I know best when it comes to map reading and the quickest route........ Laughing

Post #7407328th Jul 2006 10:52 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I was on a motorway a few weeks ago which came to a standstill and all three lanes were blocked ahead. The radio announced that the motorway was blocked. I was only a few hundred yards away from a junction, so I told that sat nav to avoid the next 5 miles. It kept telling me there was no alternive route.
I then pulled off and drove down some B roads and 30 mins later I pulled back on the motorway about 2 junctions down and missed the standstill traffic. God knows why the sat nav couldn't work that out for me.
 Matt  
Post #7413928th Jul 2006 11:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

To be honest, I ignore the sat nav until I am homing in on the destination most of time. I have been driving the country for years, and don't need trunk route directions. Its just the local directions for me. IMO TMC is a waste of time, it does not accurately reflect current traffic conditions.

Post #7414129th Jul 2006 12:01 am
JMC

Scotland 

Gareth wrote:
I have been driving the country for years, and don't need trunk route directions.

Snap!!

I almost chose an 'S' rather than an SE as I didn't want to pay for the Sat-Nav. However, now that it is there, I do feel much more comfortable in alien town centres.

It once got me through Glasgow in heavy traffic when I pulled off the motorway due to an accident ahead and I probably know one of Jupiters moons better than the centre of Glasgow!!

Most of the time I simply press 'agree' and then ignore it. IMO, anything else is simply retentive in a rearward kind of way Wink

Post #7414729th Jul 2006 12:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >