Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rear Tailgate Door Lock Upper Mechanism Removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lurk

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Rear Tailgate Door Lock Upper Mechanism Removal

Has anyone tried to replace the upper lock mechanism on the rear tail gate. I have read (I think all off) the threads related to tailgate failure - these relate to the cable and latch on the lower section. The handle and 'button' assembly has failed on mine. I have confirmed this by using the manual override with the 15 second twin button push on the dash !

I have stripped out the 4 torx screws on the underside of the plastic upper section handle, I have removed both light fittings and the rubber cover over the switch. There was a lot of 'salt' in there but the zinc coated plate moved freely and i could hear the push switch behind operate - but no action on the tail gate lower latch. The black assembly of the handle lights etc will not move more than a couple of MMs - I don't want to heave on it unless that is all that is required

Anyone got any info please, also where to get replacement would be handy.

thanks

lurk Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

[/b]
 Why do I have 2 big hands when my D3 maintenance requires small hands and at least three of them ?  
Post #68271315th Aug 2010 11:11 am
berndv

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi,

You need to remove the inside trim from the rear door. There are more screws behind there. Then the entire handle will come off. to strip it further is not too difficult.
If you go to the owner info section of the landrover site and pick up the manual for installing the accessory rear ladder, you will find instructions to get the tailgate handle off. (the tailgatehandle needs to be removed to fit the ladder)
this is the link: http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/

Post #68275815th Aug 2010 3:38 pm
lurk

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks a lot berndv.

Thought it woul dbe a trim out job.. Big Cry

Funny thing is this evening the handle button operated - I check its shut out of habit before I use teh key fob to lock up teh car ?? Surprised, I locked , unlocked and it worked again... Banging Head

So now I have to decide if I want to risk damage to the trim or see how it goes ?

I can't get the ladder installation guide to download or open up - online ? Just shows a 'java script tag and stops. ??

Monday, i will make some calls to get prices sorted for bits and / or installation / replacement. I can check the cable installation in the lower part when it is looked at as well.

Lurk
 Why do I have 2 big hands when my D3 maintenance requires small hands and at least three of them ?  
Post #68285715th Aug 2010 8:55 pm
berndv

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Sounds like a loose or dirty contact somewhere.
There is a connector just behind the trim. perhaps cleaning that one might do the job.
Don't think the little button unit can be torn apart for cleaning. I must have a disassembled tailgate handle somewhere. If you like I could give it a look.
You might find some usefull images in this topic:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic43124.html
If you pm me with your email address, I could email you the tailgate ladder manual.

Bernd

Post #68292516th Aug 2010 8:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >