DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Oil pressure warning light delay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
krausei

Denmark 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Oil pressure warning light delay

Hi!

I've got a 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, 155.000 km and over the last month I've experienced, that the oil pressure warning light is delayed in turning off, up to about 3-4 seconds after start (from glow lamp turned off).

I get a "boing" every time I start the engine, unless it's quick start after turning off engine, where the pressure is still present - then there is no alarm.

The engine runs fine, uses nearly no oil (0,25l pr. 10.000 km.) or water, oil level is ok, doesn't get hot, doesn't smoke or anything like that. EGR's are blanked off a week ago.

Could it be the oil pressure sensor/switch which is faulty? And where is it located? Is it easy to change?

Hope you can help!

Best regards
Ib

Post #6804216th Aug 2010 8:18 pm
anglefire

England 

They do seem to take a long time to go out - I'm sure I read that 3-4secs is normal.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #6804536th Aug 2010 9:21 pm
krausei

Thanks for your answer anglefire - but the problem has occurred within the last month - earlier the warning light went out promptly after start... And I dont like the alarm coming on indicating that something is wrong...

Post #6804606th Aug 2010 9:28 pm
anglefire

England 

Dunno then - mine takes a couple of seconds to go out.

I assume its been changed at the right interval and is not being contaminated with something else, so going "thin"?
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #6804836th Aug 2010 9:47 pm
The_Thinning_Beast

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine does exactly the same - the extra bong is really anoying!

I serviced mine at home and used some fancy Mobile 1 enhanced synthetic oil rather than the cheaper standard stuff - which seems to have brought on the problem. It's a shame because the new oil makes the engine sound a lot nicer and it seems to rev freely too.

It doesn't have any probelms if the engine is warm or has been run in the last 5 hours - there is also a big difference in oil level when the engine is running and when it's left to settle!

If anyone has any suggestions I'd also be grateful!

Thanks

Simon

Post #6804956th Aug 2010 10:02 pm
krausei

I've had it serviced regularly according to the services intervals by an authorized dealer here in Denmark, and I'm sure the oil is correct spec.

I wonder if it could be a faulty oil pressure sensor - perhaps a cleaning would do?

/Ib

Post #6804986th Aug 2010 10:22 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine takes a few seconds to go out, and moreso when I have parked outside my flat which is on a steep hill - have you started parking somewhere different this last month? As long as the light goes out I personally wouldn't be worrying too much. Bong could be something completely unrlated though.

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #6805587th Aug 2010 8:59 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Mine takes about 3 seconds I guess and I sometimes get the bong. The bong is almost guaranteed when the car has been serviced recently but becomes infrequent after a couple of thousand miles. Having driven numerous D3 and RRS loan cars over the last 5 years I would say that the 'normal' spread is from about a second or so to about 5 seconds. With my car sitting somewhere in the middle I have put it down as another reminder that you are enjoying a Disco.

Post #6805607th Aug 2010 9:07 am
krausei

@zarnd - I've not changed my parking habits - still the same places as usual. The "bong" isn't coming on, when I start up when engine has been started recently, within the last half an hour or so - ex. after I've been putting on fuel - that's why I'm sure the bong is related to the delayed warning light turn off.

I'm not so worried either, but I think I'll ask the local LR expert (not authorized) and see what he suggests me to do.

I'll let you all know, if he has a solution. Very Happy

/Ib

Post #6805617th Aug 2010 9:11 am
krausei

@Robbie: It has been serviced within the last month, and I it's possible the problem came on after that. By the way - a nice thought about the bong - I'll always remember enjoying my Disco, and in fact, I really do! Very Happy

/Ib

Post #6805647th Aug 2010 9:20 am
krausei

I have consulted 3 different "experts" about my problem:

Authorized dealer:
Had never heard about the problem before. I was asked the usual questions about correct oil level/grade etc. I had it serviced there earlier, so it should be ok. If engine sounds ok. and not overheating, then no problem, they said.

Unauthorized mechanics:
The first mechanic told me, that the oil pumps on the TDV6 can be a bit "weak" - nothing I've ever heard before? The next didn't agree with that. He is sure, thats the fault is due to a faulty sensor, and that I shouldn't worry. He will examin the problem, when I'm getting it serviced there the next time -he would be able to read the fault codes in the ECU, and they would show if any action should be taken at that time.

All in all - not any solution yet - but in a few weeks I'll follow up on the subject (after service) and post any solution coming up...

/Ib

Post #68137510th Aug 2010 12:15 pm
gilbo

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Hi
I posted the exact same problem a few years back after the first service of my then 2006 D3. Oil light took a second or two longer to go out and then the bong (which those models did) - only when started from cold or a longish break from driving. I suspected the oil filter was not retaining sufficient oil (I guess there must be some sort of non-return mechanism in the oil presure system - especially as the filter is on the top of the engine???)) and many years back had had a similar problem on an engine which caused early failure of the big end bearings - why - because I had used a 'pattern' filter and not a genuine one. So I took my D3 back to the dealer, explained the problem and insisted that they replace the 'new' oil filter which they did - result - no more delay, no more bongs. So the filter was faulty!!
So the interesting piece of information you supplied was that this has only been happening in the last month and that it had been serviced in the last month - exactly like mine. So if I were you I'd get back to the garage and have the filter replaced - every moment the engine runs without good oil pressure will cause some (albeit little) damage/wear and those few seconds are not helping - I very much doubt it is the sensor and frankly would not want to risk it.
Hope that helps - don't mean to frighten you!
Dave

Post #68142010th Aug 2010 2:02 pm
krausei

Thanks gilbo - I'll consider contacting the dealer again!

/Ib

Post #68143210th Aug 2010 2:38 pm
The_Thinning_Beast

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks Gilbo,

I've just ordered a genuine parts oil filter - so will do the swap this weekend. When I serviced the car about a month ago I used a Britpart filter....

I'll post any changes...

Simon

Post #68155310th Aug 2010 9:41 pm
krausei

Haven't done an oil filter change myself yet - can you do this whitout draining the system first or is it possible just to change the filter and then top up? In fact I have a new original filter lying...

/Ib

Post #68156110th Aug 2010 9:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >