Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Oil pressure warning light delay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
gilbo

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

krausei - no need to drain entire system
THB - I also run a 1961 series 2a. and at the risk of getting into hot water her.......anything in a 'blue' box is considered a definite no-no as much of it by experience (and wasted money) is not made to correct tolereances - I now only ever buy genuine (or well specced OEM parts) for it even though it is nearly 50 years old - and you would be amazed how much stuff is still available from LR at not much more money than some of the 'imposter' parts made heaven knows where!
Dave

Post #68159110th Aug 2010 11:07 pm
The_Thinning_Beast

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm planning to just unscrew the filter slowly and see how much oil leaks out. If it starts gushing then I can screw it back on and drain the whole engine oil. If it's letting air in, then it might be empty anyway.

I'm hoping that I won't have to replace 6 litres of 1 month old expensive oil... but I'll let you know how I get on at the weekend.

Gilbo - Luckily I've only done one serice with Britparts kit, and the fuel filter leaked straight out of the box so I had to replace it with a LR part... I think steering clear of Britpart in the futuer is good advice, cheers!

Simon

Post #68163311th Aug 2010 7:39 am
The_Thinning_Beast

In fact - I can use the Britparts problem as an excuse to justify buying a Green cotton air filter! Very Happy

Bonus!

Post #68163411th Aug 2010 7:41 am
krausei

Denmark 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks The_Thinning_Beast and gilbo - I'll give it a try this weekend!

/Ib

Post #68164311th Aug 2010 8:39 am
krausei

Hi again,

I have just changed the oil filter to a genuine one - straight forward job...

Started the engine and went for a short trip. Waited a while and started again. Unfortunately it didn't change anything - oil lamp still "hanging" - but at least there is one less solution to try. Very Happy

Next will be the sensor!

/Ib

Post #68183911th Aug 2010 8:51 pm
gilbo

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Well I am sorry it didn't turn out to be the filter but at least you now know! Hopefully it will be the sensor then - either way I guess you need to satisfy yourself as to the cause. I seem to remember that for those extra few seconds until the light did go out there was a slight rattle sound - maybe you should listen for this? (cam followers maybe - no expert on this engine but presume they are hydraulic? - and as a diesel noisier than a petrol anyway!!) suggesting that it was indeed low oil pressure - as I said I got back to the dealer fairly quicky to minimise any potential damage and they changed a genuine filter for a new genuine filter!! In my case it solved the problem. There are some threads on here too about parking/starting on slight inclines and lowish oil levels, I think. Did they top it up properly after the service?
Dave

Post #68201812th Aug 2010 1:28 pm
krausei

I'll keep searching for the fault, no matter what!

After the last service, the oil/filter was changed and oil topped up properly by the auth. dealer, with whom I'm pretty satisfied. He has done a good the few times I needed his assistance - faulty wheel bearing + dead A/C converter, both covered by the guarantee - the only faults for the last 40.000 km.

I check the oil level at least 2-3 times a week, as I drive at least 7000-7500 km's a month, sometimes up to 700 km's a day, and I won't allow it going down as a result of an insufficient amount of oil...

Yes, there is a slight rattle the first couple of seconds at start up - but I haven't heard a TDV6 yet, which hasn't got that sound, and I have allways thought it was quite normal? And it was there also as the oil warning light still behaved normally.

/Ib

Post #68209012th Aug 2010 6:59 pm
The_Thinning_Beast

Krausei - sorry to hear this didn't work for you,

Gilbo, you are a genius! - I changed the filter for a genuine part last night and this morning the second bong disapeared, with the warning light going off after only a second or so!

Many Thanks

Simon

Post #68221813th Aug 2010 7:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >