Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

TurboChip on a Manual
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DiscoStu

England 
TurboChip on a Manual

Been thinking about getting mine TC'd for a while now, and have been reading all the pertinent threads, but I haven't seen anyone with a manual D3 who has been chipped.

My questions are:

Will I benefit from the upgrade without the auto box? (I understand the remap alters the gearbox).

Has anyone here with a manual D3 been chipped, and what do you think of it?

Cheers, Stu
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #7234823rd Jul 2006 6:56 pm
jeff

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Similar quandry Stu, has yours had 'enhancement' yet? (the car I mean Embarassed )
 D3 TDV6SE
Defender 110 V8 lpg

www.carlyonbay.net
www.thepavillioncarlyonbay.co.uk 

Post #7235223rd Jul 2006 7:39 pm
Roddy

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

My first D3 Manual was TC'd. That was the older one from 190 to 235 bhp, I think they now go to 250bhp.

The difference was great, fast off the mark and above 75 it just kept going.

My new D3 is up to date (does not require the enhancement). It feels almost as good as my old one, the main difference is the acceleration, but not much. It has done 2k and is loosening up but 70 upwards is slower than the old one.

I probably won't bother to upgrade this one yet, unless I hear the new upgrade makes a lot of difference.

Hope this helps.
 Discovery 3 'S' Bonatti Grey.  
Post #7238523rd Jul 2006 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

might be a bit too torquey when pulling away but once on the move should provide much more oomph and less changes of gear... at a guess

Post #7238623rd Jul 2006 9:15 pm
MJ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I haven't had my manual chipped, and to be honest, I don't think I'll bother either. Drove down the M1 to Billing today and it just seems to go and go. It's very deceiving - every time you look the the clock you are going faster than you thought!!! It's still only done 1400 miles and you can feel it loosening up nicely.
 Arctic Frost TDV6 5-seat
Terrain response
Climate control
Xenons
(Yes, it's an odd spec - but I like it!) 

Post #7240223rd Jul 2006 9:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Exactly why I have never considered having mine done. She is plenty fast and nimble when needed.

Occasionally I wish there was more there to overtake or when pulling away but that is rare. If you read ahead and use the torque, there is plenty of go.

The extra MPG would be nice as well but cannot justify the cost at the moment.

-s

Post #7243023rd Jul 2006 10:46 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Can't comment on a manual I'm afraid. Had my enhancement done, which wiped out the T/C, IMO it felt awful in comparison. I haven't changed my driving style, the D3 isn't a sporty car & IMO there is little point in driving it fast for pleasure as it's more pleasureable to cruise.
The huge advantage of the T/C is the confidence it provides when you need to overtake and the ability to pull away sharpish when exiting a junction/turning. These two points IMO make the D3 a much safer vehicle to drive. The other "plus", is that mpg is improved, in my case by c.2mpg (not done any accurate tests yet). I'd imagine for those that tow, the extra torque would be an big advantage.
I've been modifying cars for the last 12 years, the TDV6 has huge tolerance levels in standard tune to be able to cope with poor quality fuel, the tough demands of off-roading & service schedules not completed on time. Provided you use good diesel & service it properly the re-map should have no negative affects whatsoever.
Words can't describe the difference though, you really must try it. The T/C just makes it so much nicer to drive Very Happy

Post #7260224th Jul 2006 11:14 am
JohnT

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
TC

I have the manual and the TC enhancement

The difference is like NIGHT AND DAY.

The best £5xx pounds I ever spent on the D3

Peak torque is now over 400ft/lb at 2300 RPM, this makes a huge difference to the car's driveability, power is up over 230 BHP at 3500 RPM; very rarely rev this high as simply no need.

Most interesting though, is the fuel economy, my D3 now returns between 33.5 and 35.5 on day to day use , this is calculated on litres and mileage not the in house guess meter that LR installs in the D3.

The car is now a joy to drive, unlike when it was delivered, would I recommend it - you bet ....if your still not sure go and test the TC demo car you won't be disappointed, well not unless you have unrealistic expectations, remember it's not a sports car it's a 3 tonne 2.7 turbo diesel.

Post #7262924th Jul 2006 12:16 pm
easy

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Another vote for the Turbochip..
I had mine done after just 2 months of ownership but it really transforms the car Smile

Although as already stated here the D3 isn't about speed but the increased torque makes overtaking a lot safer and stops it "bogging down" when pulling out of junctions.
I have noticed a better MPG as well and reckon it will pay for itself in about 15,000 miles.
So if you are thinking of TC'ing the sooner the better in my opinion.

Post #7296625th Jul 2006 10:21 am
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Our original development car was a manual Smile
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #7309025th Jul 2006 8:05 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll be giving it a go, when I've get the money together! Mind you, I bet its cheaper if I'm not using the 'auto' part of the upgrade Wink

Main reason is the increased MPG - living in east London, its a lot of stop/start and speed humps etc. and I'm only getting 21 mpg. I'm very happy with current motorway performance, but don't do that much motorway travel.

Jeff - love your part of the world! When I get it done, next I'm down there you can have a test drive!
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #7331426th Jul 2006 7:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >