Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

LR don't make it easy to hang onto customers!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
drpepper

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
LR don't make it easy to hang onto customers!

Well the time has come to look to replace the D3, ideally with a D4 HSE, problem is it's virtually impossible to get a deal that stacks up.....can get about 4k of the car by using a broker/Drive the deal type outfit or even probably a dealer but the PCP quotes coming out are silly and as I get a monthly car allowance the monthly payment is all that matters.

At the moment the best deal I can find see's me making payment of circa £700 (at best) for 48 months on 20k per year on £47000 D4 HSE with a few options, that stacks up against a Merc GL350 Bluemotion Sport with a lot more options and a list of over £60000 for 36 payments of £609.00 - Whilst the Disco is the preferred option the Merc can't be that many £ worse than it, performance is even about the same.

So the dilema continues, we occasionally need 7 seats, we occasionally go off road (nothing challenging), and there's always winter so those capabilities are required, we use the load space a lot of the time so that's key. We've looked at Audi A6 Avant/Merc E350 Estate etc etc but want to stay with the Disco (or at least that 'type' of car), Merc ML only has 5 seats as do a lot of the others so the Disco is the favourite by a country mile, problem is how do you ignore the GL when the Disco is nowhere near it pricewise.

I know the Merc has a nice £6,500 dealer contribution and a 3.9% APR, not too mention a silly residual if you did want to keep it, but surely most people buy monthly payment? I imagine LR don't need to try too hard to shift the D4 and that Merc GL's get overlooked a lot but I'm struggling to ignore it for very obvious reasons.

So, anyone know of any sensible PCP's deals to keep me in a Disco?

Rolling Eyes
 Errr, ummm, maybe...oh bo**ocks, just do it !

Club Torq-Tune
Club ATR
Club Mantec
Club TFC Serviced

2008 Zermatt Silver HSE with 20" Shadowchrome Stormers, 100W Spots, Sideboards, chrome pipes, Privacy Glass and D3 sticker
2000 Boxster S
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 

Post #6684275th Jul 2010 2:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

Dont go GL the ML is way better inside the GL is very very plastic

D4 has overstepped the mark I think so the FFRR replacement will / is a G wagon Mr. Green

Post #6684295th Jul 2010 2:44 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Doesnt the GL or ML need a 'technical pack' to go offroad?

Just a thought.

Dave
Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #6684335th Jul 2010 2:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drpepper

Thought the 2010 GL was supposed to be quite good inside, but then again haven't seen anything other than the E class estate (which was OK), problem will be finding a GL to look at I suspect.

Kind of annoying they fit 2 rear facing occasional kid seats to the E class estate but not to the ML, thus leaving it a 5 seater these days.

I think the ML needs the off road extras pack to go anywhere other than up the odd kerb by school, the GL has the low range and other bits as standard......

One of those heart v's head and pocket decisions i think Big Cry

Club Torq-Tune
Club ATR
Club Mantec
Club TFC Serviced

2008 Zermatt Silver HSE with 20" Shadowchrome Stormers, 100W Spots, Sideboards, chrome pipes, Privacy Glass and D3 sticker
2000 Boxster S

Post #6684365th Jul 2010 3:01 pm
mattdaniels

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

There seems to be a shortage of D4's and massive demand; maybe LR pricing and finance deals reflect that.

Post #6685065th Jul 2010 5:53 pm
drpepper

I'm sure it does, easier to keep people with a brand once you've got them there normally and whilst the D4 is a very good motor just about all the competition is has much better deals out there.

Club Torq-Tune
Club ATR
Club Mantec
Club TFC Serviced

2000 Boxster S

Post #6686366th Jul 2010 7:00 am
jonp

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I know someone who works as a salesman in a main LR Dealership and when it comes to selling new cars and secondhand ones he says Recession ??? What ressession ???? . He has people waiting six months for new cars and he is having to pay over the book price to buy in secondhand cars . He and the dealership are having their best sales ever. They do not need to discount cars because they can sell them without having to ! ps now is the best time to buy as demand increases in the winter .Regards Jonathan

Post #6686676th Jul 2010 8:48 am
badgersport

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm having exactly the same problem. The finance arrangement on my D3 is coming to and end and I can't get anything like an acceptable deal on a D4.

Much as I like my D3 and would love a D4, I suspect I'm going elsewhere.

Post #67265916th Jul 2010 10:57 am
drpepper

I fully understand D4's are selling anyway and will continue to do so as it appears the Discovery as it is now has gone beyond the levels of 'luxury' ever intended and certainly well beyond what it is likely to be in the future, however whilst it'd be my first choice there has to be an economics decision made too.

Question is what to replace with, I'm still on the GL route as the Merc finance deal is too good to miss right now, that said there are some problems namely very limited GL build slots between now and the end of the finance offer, also demo's are hard to come by (finally got one lined up for 24 hours) and of course being Merc, the initial PX offer on the Disco is several grand off where it should be.

Not sure what else there is that's similar int he flexibility of a D3/4 but still looking Rolling Eyes May actually end up keeping the D3 for a bit longer after all this Laughing

Club Torq-Tune
Club ATR
Club Mantec
Club TFC Serviced

2000 Boxster S

Post #67268116th Jul 2010 11:29 am
Harvoy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I was just going to say, "why not keep the D3!". I mean its an excellent vehicle, makes you grin just looking at it, and it will go anywhere. I realise some people just have to have the latest model, etc, but honestly, why would you want t get rid of such an all round brilliant car, just becuase its, what, 2 years old?
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #67305017th Jul 2010 7:02 pm
jimbo23

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A mate of mine had the same problem D4 to expensive, He now has a volvo xc90 which ticked all the boxes for him.
Thumbs Up

Post #67306317th Jul 2010 8:02 pm
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Keep the D3. Or go for a lightly used D4.
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #67306917th Jul 2010 8:34 pm
drpepper

Harvoy wrote:
I was just going to say, "why not keep the D3!". I mean its an excellent vehicle, makes you grin just looking at it, and it will go anywhere. I realise some people just have to have the latest model, etc, but honestly, why would you want t get rid of such an all round brilliant car, just becuase its, what, 2 years old?

Is a very fair point and it may well come to that. Not too btohered about latest and greatest, however I'.
m obliged to have something reliable and under warranty for work as they fund it. This would mean changing the D3 early on next year and with 20% VAT kicking in and a few other commitments of a financial nature due around the same time I'd planned to do it now.

Yep, I know there's extended warranties I can get but even at 55,000 miles there's been a couple of trips to the dealer and whilst they are fixed first or second time under warranty it's the inconvenience too.....that said if nothing else pops up then I'll have to see how it goes, difficult car to replace Thumbs Up

Club Torq-Tune
Club ATR
Club Mantec
Club TFC Serviced

2000 Boxster S

Post #67308017th Jul 2010 9:12 pm
drpepper

jimbo23 wrote:
A mate of mine had the same problem D4 to expensive, He now has a volvo xc90 which ticked all the boxes for him.
Thumbs Up

Possibly will go down that route, couple of offers around at the moment, one that does a top of the range exec version for the price of the base model which isn't bad and they do a Polestar performance upgrade now that makes it slightly less slow than it was, lol

GL350's are virtually impossible to come by and as good as an E350 estate is (even having 7 seat option) come winter it'll be useless I suspect, the Merc R Class again has good offers, is cavernous with 7 seats and plenty space behind the 3rd row and is 4 wheel drive on the 350, so there are options, just none of them are (or are the price of) a D4. Big Cry

Club Torq-Tune
Club ATR
Club Mantec
Club TFC Serviced

2000 Boxster S

Post #67308117th Jul 2010 9:15 pm
steve smith

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
LR dealers

I have given up trying to get a quote!!! Shocked
 Steve  
Post #67311717th Jul 2010 10:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >