Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

motorway speed with roof bars causes - limp mode?!?!?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
chrisk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi woody3 !
i probably did go past yours! - mines the grey D3 with the silver roof rails and roof bars (and the Censored EGR valves!!!)

having now looked at the posts regarding these replacements/blanking plates i still can't get to grips with why you would use blanking plates, surely if the design is for these valves, why change it? (you can tell i'm not a mechanic, eh!)

cheers

Chris

Post #67732428th Jul 2010 1:49 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

When they are not operational they are doing nothing Shocked and when they are operational they are filling your combustion chambers with exhaust $h1t to keep the green lobby happy, and accidentally impair your next start-off at the roundabout.

"Essential" (and expensive) kit...
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #67733628th Jul 2010 2:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trackman

Scotland 

The EGR valves are to do with emmision reduction and don't (should not!) effect the engine performance.

Blanking in a Euro 3 engine does not seem to make any difference as far a a MOT goes and saves the cost of replacement. In a Euro 4, like mine, you cannot blank as the ECU will report a failure as it checks the operation.

The Euro 3 will log the "fault" if they are blanked but does not report it as in a dashboard light.

IMHO I would blank them if I had a Euro 3 and they give problems.

Post #67733828th Jul 2010 2:24 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I did see a dyno run on a BMW that showed the performance and emission quality reduce over time due to dirty EGR system. The article questioned the use of EGRs to reduce harmful emissions and suggested that they only had a positive effect for the first 50,000 km. Beyond that they started to become more of a hinderance, producing more harmful emissions and degrading performance and economy when compared to a similar vehicle with the EGR system removed. However, the manufactures insisted that EGRs were required to meet the latest regulations but acknowledged that the current tests make little allowance for 'vehicle age and maintenance regimes'.

It convinced me that they are a manufacturers fudge to make new vehicles pass the tests; beyond that EGRs are useless!

Post #67765729th Jul 2010 11:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >