Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Cooper 275/65 R18 STT tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Cooper 275/65 R18 STT tyres

There has been a lot of discussion around the 18" tyre issue, and particularly in SA it was difficult to find anything other than the 80% road tyres in this size. The only alternatives were to buy 17" wheels. After a lot of frustration and searching, we managed to convince Dunlop (SA importer of Cooper) to bring in some 18" tyres for me. The other manufacturers either couldn't help, or didn't want to.

After 7000km in 3 weeks, with 4000km being serious rocky off-road and gravel, I can honestly say that the STT's are great tyres and seem to suit the D3 very well. The only issue I had was with the tyres being a bit large, which caused a bit of rubbing in the rear wheel-well at extreme compression(ie. bottoming-out). Dunlop did make me aware of this potential beforehand though, so it was expected. To be honest, the vehicle was completely overloaded, so this probably wouldn't happen otherwise.

The Cooper STT will now be available in SA in 17" and 18" as a result of the efforts of the local import manager. Hopefully in the near future we will be able to get a more "standard" 18" size too. (The vehicle looks a bit like a "bigfoot" with the 275/65 on)

To all my SA D3 compatriates, PM me if you need contact details for Dunlop. 17" is available in 245/70

(I am not affiliated with Cooper or Dunlop - Martin please feel free to censor/delete if this is outside site rules)

Post #7106518th Jul 2006 2:00 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Absolutely fine Baben, very good information, thanks Mr. Green

Post #7106818th Jul 2006 2:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Cooper 275/65 R18 STT tyres

Baben wrote:
(The vehicle looks a bit like a "bigfoot" with the 275/65 on)

Lots of people have claimed to have seen "bigfoot", we however need to see photographic evidence to be convinced. Wink

-- Paul

Last edited by PSC on 18th Jul 2006 3:03 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7108318th Jul 2006 2:33 pm
Baben

Evidence in the gallery Paul! 8)

Post #7108618th Jul 2006 2:37 pm
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Baben,

I am impressed !!

Couple of questions though.

Have you noticed any change in the dynamics of the vehicle ?
Does the spare still fit ok ?
Are they noisy ?

Thanks,

-- Paul

Post #7110618th Jul 2006 3:01 pm
Baben

Offroad, the Pirellis are pretty capable already, but they are 80% road tyres. The main reason I went for the Coopers was for rocks and mud, which is where they really outperform the standard tyres. The sidewalls are 3-ply, and believe me, we tested these over the Namibian mountains.

On road, I can honestly say I didn't notice any difference to the Pirelli Scorpions as far as handling is concerned, ie. still turned and stopped as well as before. BUT we only ever drove on dry tarmac. I bet the Pirelli's are much better on wet tar, but again, this is what they are meant for.

There is a LOT more noise on tar with the Coopers, but I only bought these tyres for offroad use, so road noise isn't a consideration, neither was wet tar performance.

The spare kind of fits. I honestly didn't expect it to, based on feedback elsewhere in the forum, but it did eventually.
What I had to do was deflate the tyre, and force it into the spare wheel well by raising the suspension, putting a second spare underneath the first and then lowering the vehicle onto the spare. Sounds wild, but it works.

I thought it would never come out again, but I suppose it stretched the brackets towards the rear diff, because it goes in and out now easily, as long as it is deflated.

If you are considering these tyres as a full replacement for on and offroad use, I would suggest you rather go for a size closer to your standard size. I also think the Cooper ST would be a better tyre for this role, as it is a little more biased towards on-road performance (40:60) than the STT (20:80).

Post #7110818th Jul 2006 3:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >