Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

A bit early to be requesting a service?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JMC

Scotland 
A bit early to be requesting a service?

Jumped into the D3 today and noticed something new when the ignition was on and I was waiting for the 'bong'. In the right hand LCD display, it has the word 'Service', an icon for a clock, and the number 30. Confused

I have referred to the manual and it seems to be suggesting that the car is looking for a service in the next 30 miles. Shocked

Can this be right when my pride and joy:

i. is only 4 months old
ii. has 6000 miles on the clock
iii. has not complained up to now

Furthermore, my dealer is about 300 miles away and I would have thought that such a sophisticated car would simply know this and warn accordingly.

What happened to 15k intervals and why the short notice. Big Cry

Post #7095117th Jul 2006 9:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Maybe it's detected something wrong or about to go wrong and it's advising you to get it checked out. As your dealer is so far away perhaps a call to LRA would be better Confused
 The End  
Post #7095417th Jul 2006 9:23 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Or maybe the dealer hasn't configured the service indicator correctly in the CCF?

Post #7102418th Jul 2006 9:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Mine is telling me the number of miles and number of days until service is due. Seems pretty accurate.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #7103618th Jul 2006 10:54 am
CarlW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Re: A bit early to be requesting a service?

JMC wrote:
Jumped into the D3 today and noticed something new when the ignition was on and I was waiting for the 'bong'. In the right hand LCD display, it has the word 'Service', an icon for a clock, and the number 30.

Just had a similar experience with my D3 only display is showing '25', however 40miles later on the next start it's still showing '25'!!

My vehicle is 10 months old and has 9.5k miles on the clock but I was hoping to fit a 3k trip to France in before the 1st service.

Did you get an answer from your dealer? I'll be contacting mine tomorrow
 Disco 4 Landmark
Mercedes Benz SLK CDi
BMW 335D Touring
Defender XS SW 2010 - gone
TDV8 2008 RRS - gone
Disco 3 HSE 2005 - gone
BMW R1150GS 

Post #7233623rd Jul 2006 2:22 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Quote:
Did you get an answer from your dealer? I'll be contacting mine tomorrow

Yes! It would seem that the manual isn't quite correct..... Shocked

The 30 miles was actually 30 days (as it has been dropping by 1 per day) and it would appear that the unit wasn't initially set properly at the PDI. Nothing to worry about apparently and not worth being re-set now as it would then throw the future service schedule out of sync.

However, I've started to wonder if this is an indication of the actual build date of the car?? Were 06MY cars made as early as August 05???

My car was registered March 06 (and it is an early 06MY D3) but I know someone on this forum was sitting in my drivers seat as early as November 05 as my car was sitting in the showroom then. Surprised

Post #7233823rd Jul 2006 3:03 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

JMC wrote:
However, I've started to wonder if this is an indication of the actual build date of the car?? Were 06MY cars made as early as August 05???

Would seem to be the logical conclusion. When was negotiating to buy my car in May last year, it was a choice between getting a MY05 or an MY06 for which production was starting after the July factory shutdown.

Rather than querying the VIN with LR, you could look at a few of the bits of trim to help ascertain rough date of production (or at least a 'not built before' date). For example, lift the carpetted flap over the lower tailgate and you should have two dates showing. Knowing that my car came direct to the dealer from the factory in mid-June 05, and that nearly every car had a matched owner, it makes sense that the dates shown on these parts are both 25th May 05.

In addition, when I had the date of service warning, it tied in with the anniversary of the car at the dealership, and not that of my possession.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #7234323rd Jul 2006 5:00 pm
JMC

Scotland 

DrLex wrote:
when I had the date of service warning, it tied in with the anniversary of the car at the dealership

Looks like that's the answer to me!!

I have found some items on the car which were manufactured in July 05. My car is looking for its first service in mid August so I guess it all ties-up.

I suppose the best thing about it being older than I suspected, is the fact that it was in a showroom until registration the following March, rather than suffering at the hands of the British climate in an exposed compound somewhere... Laughing

Worst thing is that it may have had several kids jumping over the seats before me Twisted Evil

Post #7236323rd Jul 2006 7:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >