Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Help, HDC goes then car lowers at speed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dave34

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Help, HDC goes then car lowers at speed

When driving for a bout 2Hrs the H.D.C inables then the car lowers. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry So i pull over turn the car off, start it up again and every thing is fine. Surprised Surprised Any ideas people.

Post #62416320th Mar 2010 5:20 pm
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

OK, seems we are experiencing similar problems....

In my case the syptoms are:
HDU failure in the message centre, then a short time (seconds) later, Special Programs not available, then another short time (again seconds) later the suspension lowers to car park height. It ONLY happens when zipping along using the cruise control between 90-110km/h. If I drive at these speeds without the cruise control everything happens as per normal.

I was thinking wheel speed sensor faulty as this is used by all these systems as an input, and I had one that was 'scuffed', when a rear wheel bearing failed. The diagnostic computer at the service agent seemed to suggest this was a reasonable diagnosis. I had the relevant wheel speed sensor replaced (part was ~$90, labour undetermined as yet). Alas the syptom still exists...

Now I'm waiting for another opportunity to hook it to the service agents diagnostic computer for a look at codes. But they are showing a distinct lack of enthusiasm given this could take a while to chase down and they are feeling very unsupported by LRA...

I'm wondering if it is worth it to try and reload the cruise control software? Is it even possible to do this?

Ideas would be welcome.

Better still if you have been here, what fixed it?

Thanks
Haggis
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #62505122nd Mar 2010 2:16 pm
djhampson

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Is your steering wheel straight when the car is travelling straight ahead?

My steering wheel moved a few degrees off straight ahead and then I started getting the fault messages you mentioned and the suspension going down. Stoping and starting the car would enable me to drive on.

A simple wheel alignment sorted out the issue.

Edit: When LR hooked the car up to the diagnostics computer... there was a Steering Angle Sensor fault.

Post #62555623rd Mar 2010 4:31 am
irishrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Dave34,

i had same problem saturday after i got the disco tracked. have been and out of dealers this morning, steering angle sensor was out. so you could have similar problem seen as my disco suffered same symptoms as yours.

ian. Thumbs Up
 07 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial (Java Black) with:

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #62569023rd Mar 2010 11:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Haggis

As it happens the steering wheel is out of whack and I have already complained about it especially since it's last visit for service included a wheel alignment. It's agreed it needs to be fixed, just a matter of when...

Elsewhere on the forum other possible causes have been listed as:
1. Low battery voltage
2. brake pedal switch
3. Left Front wheel speed sensor (I get the logic for WSS, by why left front?)
4. Non genuine brake globes - whoa!
5. High pressure fuel pump - now that one is left field, but I do remember having the transfer box computer changed because the alarm kept going off sometime during the warranty...

I'm going to try and work these through one at a time until the fault stops. At least I'll know what fixed it for me, however it seems it might not be that same for every D3. Battery is charging as I write...
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #62580023rd Mar 2010 3:14 pm
irishrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just to add to what haggis has wrote about the possible symptoms, I checked all the cell's in the battery when i first read about the possible causes and the levels in the cells are ok even after 2.5 years, so ruled that out straight away as being the problem with mine.
my steering wheel is still abit off but hope to get it sorted the weekend. as stated above, i got my problem sorted this morning so its Very Happy again..

ian.
 07 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial (Java Black) with:

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #62592223rd Mar 2010 5:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave34

Thanks

Thanks 4 the info, gives me something to look at. Think its going to a dianostics to see what faults it comes up with. Sad Sad Sad

Post #62812326th Mar 2010 11:44 pm
Haggis

It's definitely NOT a low voltage scenario for me - now I'm waiting for the servce agent to arrange another wheel alignment (the steering wheel is askew) and attach the diagnostics PC where, hopefully, steering angle sensor will show up as a culprit....
Post #62856628th Mar 2010 1:32 pm
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Had similar problem last year when in cruise of HDC, Special Programs and cruise unavailable + suspension lowering (although it didn't) messages. Fault cleared each time after turning ignition off but came back again after a few more miles in cruise. No fault though if cruise was not used.

Turned out to be steering angle sensor calibration. Apparently the yaw sensor was saying the car was travelling in a straight line but the steering angle sensor said it was going round a bend so after registering this conflict a certain number of times the system called enough. Recalibration cured it until the next time the steering wheel was put off centre after work was done. Apparently it takes about 35mins to go through the calibration procedure so maybe dealers sometimes skip it if a computer isn't available.

Post #62881828th Mar 2010 9:52 pm
raftrey

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The dealers equipment must be as crap as people say then, 10 for cash reset mine in about 35 SECONDS Laughing

Post #62892029th Mar 2010 10:13 am
PaulC

Wales 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

mine did similar cpl years ago- LRA took it to dealer- spent a week there- got it back to have it doing same again
turned out to to dodgy brake light bulb i replaced few weeks earlier- sourced from well known high st store beginning with H
not happened again since stuck to high quality bulbs

Post #62898129th Mar 2010 11:31 am
Haggis

After some disappointment in the NW of the country (service agent reckons the steering wheel could not be made to point direct ahead, and they couldn't get the diagnostic computer to work), I have since had the problem repaired.

Steering wheel points direct ahead and the steering angle sensor was calibrated - error gone.

Pity I had to drive ~5000km to find someone who could do it. The D3 is a good product that is let down in Australia by a lack of investment by Land Rover to support it outside of the major cities.
Post #6577968th Jun 2010 1:28 am
Darryl

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 S Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Had same symtoms myself a month or so ago turned out to be a brake light switch ,changed it problem solved Thumbs Up

Post #6582568th Jun 2010 10:07 pm
Dave34

Evening,soz for the deley in getting back, im off to L R on Friday comin (9th) to let them have a look at it. they going to have a look as the fault codes dont say any componets are knacked. so its off early for a bit of a cane Whistle Whistle Whistle i mean drive to see if it dose it before it goes in. Got a loan car when its there, a volvo Big Cry Big Cry couldnt of been a D4 Laughing Laughing

Post #6676162nd Jul 2010 9:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >