Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

What's the best way to carry bikes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tezzo

United Kingdom 2012 LR4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueLR4
What's the best way to carry bikes?

I'm thinking of buying a couple of electrically assisted bikes for SWMBO and me.
They're heavier than ordinary bikes.
I could get the folding sort or the usual fixed frame.
The problem is in carrying the damn things.
If I get a bike carrier to fit on the towball fitment will it stop me opening the boot on the D3?
If I put folding bikes inside will they wreck my new shiny interior?
And is it possible for an old geezer like me to get bikes onto a D3 roofrack without knocking the paintwork to bits?

Suggestions from experienced cycle trundlers gratefully received.
Tezzo
 engine. wheels. seats. glass windows. stuff.  
Post #6675902nd Jul 2010 8:53 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I think you can get towball mounted racks that fold to allow rear access but not sure if they would cope with electric bikes.

I wouldn't want the hassle of lugging them up on to the roof, especially with the extra weight and the risk of dropping them.

You may be able to get some kind of rack system to stand them up in the boot if the 2nd row seats are down though!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #6675922nd Jul 2010 8:59 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Stick them on a towbar bracket and unclip the batteries and put in the boot Thumbs Up

Now stop stressing and get the beers in...
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #6675952nd Jul 2010 9:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thule now do a bike carrier designed for these types of bikes. Has a much easier access etc.

The D3 tow bar can easily take the weight (150kg nose weight to be precise)
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #6675962nd Jul 2010 9:07 pm
bambi

England 

Slight thread highjack, but along the same lines i am looking for a bike rack to go on the tow bar and still tow the caravan, i looked at a maxxrack but their kit wont fit the my removable tow bar with the alko tow hitch Big Cry Big Cry

so what i needs is 4-5 bike rack, boot access,compatible with alko and removable hitch. Thumbs Up

sorry for the highjack. Embarassed

Post #6677273rd Jul 2010 10:03 am
Trackman

Scotland 

From what I have seen you would need a fixed towball bracket and the carrier mounts between it and the towball so that the bike are held up clear of the caravan draw bar but doubt if it would hold that many bikes.

You could put some of the bikes in the caravan.....

Ian

Post #6677803rd Jul 2010 12:49 pm
dellpitch

Maxxraxx bike rack

Hi Bambi

Having talked to my local tow bar man I have just ordered a 2 bike maxxraxx for fitting to my D3.

It will be fitted to my detachable tow bar & will accept the caravan on the back which is fitted with the Alko
tow hitch.

He phoned Maxxraxx whilst I was there & apart from being told they were out of stock of certain items there was no problem.
This is despite me ordering an upright with a 450mm offset due to having the spare wheel mounted on the back (LPG tank in original spare wheel recess).

Hope this helps

Regards

Post #6681924th Jul 2010 10:04 pm
bambi

England 

Hi Dellpitch, i wonder if its cos i want to fit the 5 bike rack that the mismatch occurs good news for you though.

Post #6684075th Jul 2010 1:17 pm
Phil S

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

If the bikes have quick release wheels, taker them of and the bikes will fir head to toe in the boot without taking down the second row.

I'm off to France next week with twio bikes in the boot, no problem

Cheers

Phil

Post #6684975th Jul 2010 5:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bambi

England 

Hi Phil problem is we have 4 bikes, and all the associated crap that goes with 2 children aged 4 and 8, so need boot space as we dont always have caravan and bikes at the same time,

But when we do need bikes and caravan at the same time we cant due to weight in caravan but can with bike rack on tow bar just need to look for the right solution.

Post #6685095th Jul 2010 6:13 pm
mzplcg

England 

Excuse my ignorance please chaps but I looked at this solution as well. The bit I don't get is how the weights bit works.

If the towball can take 150KG of noseweight, when a caravan is on this figure is reduced by the noseweight of the van which leaves precious little for the weight of the bikes & rack combined.

EG. Our van is 1900KG MTPLM.
7% of this is 133KG - recommended ideal value
BUT, max van noseweight according to handbook is 100KG.
So that leaves 50KG for bikes and rack combined.

My bike on its own (never mind the other 2 we need to carry) weighs in at 17KG. Say 10KG for the rack, 15KG for wifey's bike and 10KG for the lad's.

It's all getting a bit close I think, or am I wide of the mark ??

Post #6685315th Jul 2010 7:49 pm
bambi

England 

Hi mzplcg, thats a mouthful,the name that is, Razz

Yup you re quite correct, Thumbs Up Legally i need 4%( taken from july practical caravan mag page 120) or 25 kg whichever is higher, so ours is 1300kg mtplm so about 52kg on the nose but caravan has max 75 kg, so caravan nose weight must be between 52 and 75 kg

So i have between 98 and 75 kgs available. but for this purpose we shall go for the 75 figure as that is what i run at ( nose weight scale)

Maxxrack 4 bike rack weighs 12 kg, average steel bike weighs 15kg, 4 bikes = 60kg + rack = 72kg just in but pretty squeaky.

but only the 2 smaller bike are steel the bigger two are ali framed, but not much lighter than average.

So in theory i am safe. But the fact that Neil at maxxrax advised that due to removable towbar and alko head they dont do a rack suitable means i have to keep looking at the options and other bike racks. hence any help is appreciated.

mark

Post #6685545th Jul 2010 8:47 pm
mzplcg

England 

LOL, well anyone who's ever worked for EDS would understand the username Wink It does have the benefit of being unique on every forum I frequent.

The Maxxraxx looks like a decent candidate for me but modifications would be required to raise the platform well above the caravan A frame. I'm not convinced by the hanging type, perhaps a little too much room for the bikes to bash into each other.

In an ideal world there would be a platform type rack which has the platform about 18 inches above the towball but I've yet to find one. Having seen Wiggs's trailer build though I am convinced there is someone on here who could perform the required mods. Just need to get motivated enough to ask.

Dom

Post #6685675th Jul 2010 9:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >