DISCO3.CO.UK > General

TD5 D2 v D3?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
TD5 D2 v D3?

Hi

I have a good Discovery 2 TD5 but have fallen for a lovely looking D3 XS that I've seen.

Before I ditch my loyal and trusty (and so far very reliable) TD5 has anyone else made the switch? And if so was it worth it financially? In 3 years I've had to replace one suspension airbag and one ABS sensor (which I broke) plus usual servicing on the D2 so very cost effective. The only issue has been leaky sunroofs.

I know the D3 is a far superior vehicle to the D2 but the D2 is reliable and does what I need. Will a D3 cost me more to own in terms of parts, services etc compared to the D2. A D3 is no use to me if it costs a lot more or gives hassle over my D2.

Thanks for looking.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #65895810th Jun 2010 2:40 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Hi Tony and welcome to the site.

Changing is a head or heart question. If your TD5 has been that reliable then why not carry on with it until it starts becoming unrelaible.

I have a D3 S 54 plate and its been a horrendously expensive car as far as repair costs go.

I wouldnt change it for the world, its fantastic.

So its a new shiny thing thats amazing or stick with old faithful...........the choice, is YOURS Thumbs Up

PS DOnt have a test drive or you will buy it and sell your faithful old firend within hours of driving the D3.

Dave

Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #65895910th Jun 2010 2:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

an awful lot of us will have gone from Disco TD5's to D3 (I had two TD5's in succession, and have now had two D3's). As good as the TD5 seemed, D3 knocks it into last century. With LR, old adage is never buy one of the first 12 months production. Wait until at least some of the bugs are sorted, and info is gathered (like on here), and then generally OK.

Go for it Thumbs Up
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #65897310th Jun 2010 3:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I loved my D2 she was a great motor at the time

...but when I think back and then make the comparison to my 2 D3's ............ this is the only picture I find in my mind Wink

Click image to enlarge
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #65898010th Jun 2010 3:47 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks guys. Thumbs Up

I think it comes down to reliability of the new wheels - if its not too bad then fine but can't afford lots of problems.

I'll let you know the outcome shortly!
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #65900910th Jun 2010 5:13 pm
bambi

England 

Hi i had a 14yr 300tdi disco, which was very reliable had to do a few minor repairs, all age related, but no major breakdowns, looked at a d2 then thought well im gunna get screwed on the tax so get the new one so got a d3xs, no test drive just bought it.

they are streets apart, the 300tdi was so last century. the thought of it going wrong scares the brown stuff out of me but the older they get the more they will want from you.

I needed sumat to tow, carry 7 bods, work vehicle, family run around, the 300tdi did all that but the d3 does that soooooo much better.

I know yours is a td5 but go on dive in, whats the worst that can happen, your wallet gets emptied really quickly as opposed to slowly.

but either way it will get emptied.

Post #65901110th Jun 2010 5:15 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I came from a 2000 Defender 90 Td5. I had had it since new, done 153,000 miles in it but the paint was corroding and the chassis was not in fabulous condition and probably had a couple of years left at most. I test drove a D3 and put my Defender up for sale. Sold within 15 hours for the full asking price, and had no choice but to then buy another car. Bought an 07 TDV6 HSE and it is truely epic. only done 28k from new, so lots of life left in it yet!

cheers and enjoy your D3 when you get it Thumbs Up
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #65901310th Jun 2010 5:18 pm
twizzle

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

i had a 2001 TD5 Disco 2 and moved into my Disco 3 in 2005 have since done 150,000 miles,..... very happy......
 i'm lovin it....  
Post #65902110th Jun 2010 5:29 pm
marsie

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I have had landrovers for the past 20 years(mainly discoveries) and wasnt convinced by all the hype about the D3.I was convinced that the D2 4.0 es i had was the best car ever but how wrong i was Shocked .The D3 is a completely different level on all counts!
As bigdave says,if you take a test drive the deal WILL be done,you have been warned Wink
Paul Thumbs Up
 Previous Discos
1989 200tdi 3dr
1994 300tdi ES
1995 3.9 ES (x3)
2000 4.0 adventurer
2001 4.0 ES
2005 D3 HSE (zambesi silver)
2007 D3 SE (Lugano teal)
2011 D4 XS (Baltic Blue)
2008 D3 HSE PREMIUM (buckingham blue)
2009 D4 XS (Nara bronze)
2006 D3 Metropolis (Java Black)
2012my D4 HSE (indus silver)
2013 D4 XS (Firenze red)
Current 2017 D5 first edition (silicone silver) 

Post #65916310th Jun 2010 9:56 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Go for it re D3, as peeps above say it knocks the TD5 into touch easily, like many I went from D2 to D3. Try and get a warranty, these cars can be cash cows, I've saved a not so small fortune having a warranty for both of mines' 4th year. Look at the Ins & Fin section, lots in there re what's good & bad. Expect it to cover the big things, I've heard of too many engines letting go terminally, and if it covers the niggles then that's a bonus. The day I can't get a decent warranty for the D3s is the day I ditch them.

Post #65916910th Jun 2010 10:07 pm
phil2174

England 

I've have been having a very similar conundrum for the last several months whether to buy a late td5 or a D3. One of the things that was putting me off the D3 was strangely enough this site and the amount of horror stories on it, but then realised as with most things in life, if it's fine you hear nothing, if it's bad people shout from the rooftops. I'm not saying that the D3 is bad just that this site and other similar sites act as a magnifying glass for these problems. I don't believe that the D3 is particularly more unreliable than any other land rover IMHO. I went for the D3 Whistle

Post #65917410th Jun 2010 10:13 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would humbly suggest that other than about 6 to 8 months ago, just before used D3 values went up, there has possibly never been a better time to buy a D3.

The fact that prices went up at possibly the most illogical time for it actually speaks volumes all by itself.

But regardless of current market pricing, the D3 is just at precisely the right age. It's been around long enough for everyone to figure out all it's potential problems and weaknesses and how to fix them easily and economically, We make more diagnostic kit for the D3 at better prices than we have done for any other vehicle, there is also such a plethora of knowledge and support for it in respect of maintaining and fixing it, not least of all on this forum itself. people have had enough time to figure out how to do almost any upgrade you can imagine and loads of parts are becoming cheaply available to do this. Yet it is truly a very modern vehicle offering capability and a driving experience no predecessor can hold a candle to.

No one can promise you a totally trouble and expense free ownership experience, hell most everyone here has spent loads of money on their D3's one way or another, I myself owned a D2 TD5 i never spent a penny on but that was likely as it was new and i only owned it a year, yet i have spent quite a bit on my d3, albeit mostly in up speccing it, and, like any other true blue D3 owner, when i jump in and drive it, i really do not resent one single penny and i certainly count my blessings.

So i will certainly agree with bigdave's warning, you may well have what you think of as old faithful now, but that can quickly become a Very old faithful when you get to test drive a new faithful Thumbs Up

Post #65919310th Jun 2010 10:48 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Knowing whether a D3 is going to be as reliable as a D2 is like knowing whether a new woman would be as faithful as the old one you're stuck with. In either case, check the background history and go for it Mr. Green
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #65920110th Jun 2010 11:06 pm
oldsalt

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

If you test drive the D3.....you'll buy it....they're that good. Very Happy

Post #65924111th Jun 2010 2:35 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

sideview wrote:
Knowing whether a D3 is going to be as reliable as a D2 is like knowing whether a new woman would be as faithful as the old one you're stuck with. In either case, check the background history and go for it Mr. Green

does that mean we have to put up with other men driving our (stuck with) faithfuls Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #65924611th Jun 2010 4:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >