DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tow bar advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Tow bar advice

Hi Chaps

I need to get a tow bar fitted to the disco , the dealer has given me two options
a fixed unit and a under the back bumper removable unit . i like the idea of the removable unit as i don't tow a lot and can remove it when Im finished with it.

Any one any views on these two choices?

Cheers guys.

Barry

Post #6990812th Jul 2006 2:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The removables come up on eBay quite a bit, and if the dealers figures I see quoted are correct, there's quite a bit of a saving too. I know I did. Not seen as many fixed, but like you my towing needs are not extreme, but it does look the part. I think a few members pull some tidy loads without any throuble as I'm sure they'll confirm.

The electrics, are fiddly to fit but easily DIYable.

Cost is what swayed me.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #6991112th Jul 2006 2:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The quick release one sounds ideal for you then Barry unless what ever you'll be towing is likely to need the height adjustment available on the fixed bar
 The End  
Post #6991212th Jul 2006 2:20 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

As Mossy said, if you've got the slightest DIY skill, fit the electrics yourself. They come up on eBay every week. Often the electrics go for more than you can get from a dealer (should be able to get 10-20% discount). I got by detachable towbar and the in-car holder (not worth buying) from eBay and purchased the electrics from a local LR dealer with a 15% discount.
There are plenty of threads here regarding the fitting. Fitting the electrics is a bit fiddly, but no skill is needed - just tiny hands.
 Matt  
Post #6995112th Jul 2006 3:49 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Agree with previous posters.

Lots of the removable towbars on eBay at the moment - expect to pay around £180. Sometimes the fixed towbars come up at around £200, but much rarer.

Electrics - you can get these from the 'accessory discount' sticky post source for around £70 or so if I recall - cheaper than eBay ones.

Fit yourself - an hour's fiddling max, and will save you the £100 that a dealer will charge to fit.

Total price should be £250 if you are fitting electrics yourself.
If I understand correctly, the fixed plate towbar is a bit fiddly to fit and get the bolts aligned correctly, whereas the removable one just slots straight in to the hole in the chassis.

Advantage of fixed plate: you can adjust the height of the ball if that is important to you. Also you could fit a plate behind the ball for a rigid rear cycle rack. You #can# fit a cycle rack to the removable towbar (find posts on Maxxraxx swan neck adapter for further info) - but this is a little more 'Heath Robinson' than using a fixed plate one.

Hope this helps - it's all about your priorities really. I find the removable one works fine for me, for occasional use with bike rack and the odd short trailer tow. If you have particular caravan / trailer requirements then check the ball height and see which version would be better.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #6995412th Jul 2006 4:08 pm
BarryG

Gentlemen.

Thank you all for your advice. Yes I think the detachable one will be the best option for me . The dealer came back to me with a price for the unit (fitted) 892Euro
(that's about 617 Uk) . To be honest I didn't think it would cost that much.

But following your advice ebay seems to be the way to go and I wouldn't have a problem with the electrics as I'm into that sort of thing anyways.

Just on that point if any one has a second-hand bar and wire they want to
shift on drop me a PM.

Thanks again chaps , Good advice as always.

Cheers
Barry Thumbs Up

Post #7006312th Jul 2006 11:28 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BarryG wrote:
Gentlemen.

Thank you all for your advice. Yes I think the detachable one will be the best option for me . The dealer came back to me with a price for the unit (fitted) 892Euro
(that's about 617 Uk) . To be honest I didn't think it would cost that much.

Hmm let's see.

£617 for the dealer to supply and fit.
£250 for eBay / Yeovil LR supply and DIY.

Pretty close!
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #7008113th Jul 2006 8:18 am
zebadee

Ireland 

Check your tow heights first, before you make up your mind. I considered both the swan-neck & adjustable height tow bar & opted for the Adjustable one in the end, based on tow heights.

I measured the height of the tow bar on my TDi Disco which tows my trailer perfectly level & discovered that the swan neck tow bar would have been way too low !!

Another consideration, is that with the adjustable bar in place, you’ll be protected somewhat from rear end shunts in traffic, such at red lights. As a car would strike the tow bar first, thereby saving you from damage to the rear bumper.

Post #7009013th Jul 2006 8:57 am
sst

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

This all sounds very similar to my recent experience:

I opted for the multi-height towbar as it will take the bike rack that I used to have on the Freelander. It was a bit of a pain to fit but with advice from people on this forum I got it done myself.

The electrics were a bit of a fiddle but done in an evening.

I bought the electrics from a dealer with 20% discount, £70. The towbar was off Ebay at £190.

Compare that to the fitted LR price I was quoted of £627 and it is one hell of a saving.

Ok I had to buy a couple of extra sockets for my toolbox but still made BIG savings!
 Si

TDV6 S Auto 2006 Silver, Privacy Glass, Integrated Phone 

Post #7011313th Jul 2006 10:21 am
BarryG

got towbar and wire kit yesterday, went to main dealer for a finish didnt have time for ebay as i need the bar for this weekend as Im bringing the D3 over on the boat to the UK (any one see's a Black D3 with irish plates on it this weekend .. give me a wave.) This is the first road trip in the D3 since I got here everything else has
been work related, so I'm really looking foward to getting her on to the open road.

Any ways back to the towbar. fitting was easy (any one considering getting this job done by a main dealer , save your money..do it your self) as mentioned by others
securing the wire loom to the body in a pain in the Censored (get your 3 year to give you a hand) , I didnt get the last clip in , used a cable tie to secure the loom at the last
clip, to be honest I dont think I even needed to do this as it was very secure anyways.

the thought of the wireing might put people off , I had soldering iron , wire strippers
and cutters on standby and was allmost dissapointed in as much as you dont have to use any of them everything just snaps in and off you go.

my advice, get the lads over ,borrow a child with small hands if you dont have one, have a few beer's , fit the bar and wire , have few more beer's , give back small child, go to pub have a few beers and tell everyone how great you are

Barry
8)

Post #7164920th Jul 2006 12:45 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Coming to Billing then Barry if you're over here?
 The End  
Post #7167120th Jul 2006 8:32 am
BarryG

No mate. going to perterborough, (east of england show ground)

Its JAE time agian...

Post #7167620th Jul 2006 9:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >