Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Buying D4 tomorrow - Need a strategy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rocky

Buying D4 tomorrow - Need a strategy?

Hi all,

I'm taking a trip down to the local dealer tomorrow with a view to upgrading our D3 to a D4. Currently have a V8 SE and was thinking I'll just go for the XS, however after comparing specs I see that some of the things that were std on my SE now require HSE. Not too much of a problem and to be fair once I'd added all the goodies on with the online builder they were nearly the same price anyway.

So basically I'm rubbish with this sort of stuff and was looking for some general advice regards what sort of discount I should push for against a new HSE and where I should target the deal, in the past I've opted for adding on goodies as I figured it there was a lot of margin in them. I'll be trading in another car for about £25k and was looking at doing the advanced pay plan where you pay 65% now and the rest in 2 years.

I welcome any suggestions that will help to mitigate what I'm sure will be completely rubbish negotiating skills tomorrow.

Cheers, Paul

Post #66217218th Jun 2010 7:32 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

as a professional negotiator (not in the talking terrorists out of hideouts type of way) - I would decide on what you prepared to pay - start a bit lower and walk away if you dont get the acceptable price ---easy Thumbs Up

If you have decided to buy it before you go in, your on aloser straight away.

Be prepared to walk away and you'll either get a good deal - or walk away from a deal that isnt worth having.

good luck Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #66218018th Jun 2010 7:39 pm
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Alternatively go to www.drivethedeal.com and get an XS for £38773 (£3k discount). An HSE is £44581 (£3555 discount).

Post #66224518th Jun 2010 9:39 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Print the online deals out and take them with you to the dealer. Many will 'price match' or get close and 'top up' with something else (servicing, freebies, etc.). A deal with you on reduced margin is better than no deal at all often (but I also have bad experience at Audi dealers of a blunt "take-it-or-leave-I'm-on-a-fixed-salary-and-don't-care-if-you-buy-or-not" type attitude).

For me, unless the online discounters saving is so worth it, I'd rather go through a dealer. I know the online places are reputable and been around years but the thought of spending that amount 'online' still gives me the shakes Laughing

If a dealer got to within £500-£1000 of the online plus you factored in all the little differences as well I'd go the dealer route. If the online place saves you a grand more than the dealer after negotiation that's still only just over 2% difference on a £44k motor for a grand's difference......

The old adage "the cost to change" also applies. This is where the online places can't help - they don't take exchange motors. The LR dealer may not be able to discount much but may be able to get you a good price for your part exchange (often knowing it will be a good 'stock' car or, often, a customer in mind for it) making the overall deal a good one, as well as easy; drive in the old - drive out the new.

As someone else said, going in like an excited school boy "determined to buy" will leave you like a lamb for the slaughter.........

Post #66237019th Jun 2010 1:07 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm in the process of buying a D3 to upgrade from a D2. However there is nothing wrong with my D2 and so whilst I have found what would be the perfect D3 for me and a price that is affordable (assuming I have still have a job after the Budget Shocked and the car is reliable Rolling Eyes ) I am playing it cool.

Have learnt the hard way letting your heart take over is expensive (years ago I went to local stealers for replacement light fitting and came away with £15k Defender 90SV!).

So I have been playing it cool for 2 weeks now. If the car I am looking at goes, so be it, but it hasn't so far. I am fair with the dealer that I am very interested and have set him my definite buy price, which I know is a little below his lowest figure. His price has come down and warranty gone up so far despite "levels of interest in it". I'm in no hurry and have nothing to lose. The dealer is in no hurry as his business seems busy so he's making money - however if its still there in another few weeks then I'll be in a stronger position as he's got £20k on the lot going nowhere.

As has been said set your price, taking into account a realistic appraisal of your finances and other factors (e.g. SWMBO). Then set a lower price, based on the what you think either the dealer bought it in at (i.e. trade) and open with that. Do not budge from that without having to go away and crunch the numbers, talk to the bank and her indoors. You'll seen see if he needs to shift motors. and don't be talked into another car that's cheaper. If you can't get the one you want at the price you want, just wait. If things are getting out of control then just walk politely away - that way you regain control. I never buy on the spot - always sleep on it. There are thousands of Disco's out there so you'll always find another one.

I've bought a long line of Landy's with my heart (90SV, Camel Disco etc etc) but now I'll only buy if its a very straight motor at a steal of a price. I'd love a D3, but I know that I'll regret getting rid of a perfectly good D2 unless its for a cracking deal. It's like the difference between a one night stand and the "one" Wink

Remember, buying a car is like making love to a beautiful woman.......

[Swiss] Tony Embarassed
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #66243619th Jun 2010 5:28 pm
rocky

Thanks all, for your advice.

Did a deal for a new HSE in the end. Got all the options at the dealer but walked out with a view to letting them know my decision. Made the decision after leaving to sell my PX privately as the trade-in wasn't enough, let the dealer know I was going to pass. Got a call back 10 mins later that they could add another couple of k to the deal, so accepted.

I did start to get carried away and to be fair I've come away with more than I intended. A reasonable spec XS was going to be enough but there are none out there that have Xenon's and new one meant a 4 month wait. Happy with the deal at the end of the day.

Just glad I didn't make the same mistakes I did with the V8 and just decide to buy it at near to sticker as soon as I turned the engine on Smile

Cheers, Paul

Post #66245419th Jun 2010 6:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >