Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Drivers door lock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MCW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Drivers door lock

Drove to work this morning and everything appeared fine (opened normally / lock on drive off ok) except the drivers door would not unlock when I tried to get out. I tried the central unlock button & remote etc and anything else I could think of but the door remained locked and I had to exit through the passenger side.

On checking this evening, there are no relevant fault codes stored and as far as I can tell, the lock motor seems to run in both directions ok, in that there is some vibration on pressing the lock / unlock button felt when touching the internal door lever (it doesn’t move) but the door remains locked.

I am assuming the actuator or a link is defective but I need the door open to get at anything to fix it. I realise this is sensitive, and please PM, but does anybody know how to open it?

Post #66054514th Jun 2010 7:07 pm
bear100

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

i have a similar fault, when i lock mine the drivers door still opens causing the very very very quite alarm to sound, i removed the door card sunday but cant find any access to the locking mechanism?

Post #66107615th Jun 2010 10:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MCW

I managed to get the top half of the door trim released and took out the inner window sealing strip to have a look in with the window down, but there is not much to see. What I do know is that the lock motor is definitely running in both directions as the sound is now a lot louder with the trim off. Unfortunately, any emergency unlock procedure that I can find by searching here does not work for me.

As far as I can see, there does not appear to be any obvious method of forcing it open and as the latch has had its last chance, I am going to get another anyway and then see if I can figure out how to release the old one.

Post #66110815th Jun 2010 11:32 pm
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

pulling the outside door handle at the same time as unlocking will, 90% of the time get your door open. You may have to give it a few goes to get the timing right. There is a guide in the WIKI pages on how to replace a front door solenoid / latch assembly:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Kno...05_Onwards

Iain

Post #66142216th Jun 2010 9:12 pm
MCW

Now sorted Very Happy

I tried lots of times all of the suggested methods of opening the door but always without success. On examining the new latch I got today, I was able to fish some piano wire to the spot that needed some help (you need to remove a plastic cover first) and was then able to open the door.

When the old latch was examined, there was a piece of plastic (I presume a link pin) rattling round inside and although the motor ran ok, a lever that needs to move to allow unlocking remained stationary.

The excellent WIKI guide meant the rest of the job was quite easy after getting the door open. Many thanks to those involved in producing it Bow down Bow down

Post #66147416th Jun 2010 10:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >