Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

please help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kernowd3

United Kingdom 
please help

im sorry if this is not the right section as im new to the site.

me and the better half are looking into getting a disco 3 we have been told to get one around the 2004 mark as they were better i dont know how true this is or what as i dont know much about them but i have had a R reg disco premium (top of the range) in the past

i have been wondering for a while as i have not been to the landrover dealer as of yet what is the best one to go for what year what spec we have around the 15k mark to play with

buying second hand what are the things to look out for with these bad bits if any and good bits

sorry if this sounds stupid but i dont want to end up getting one and it with a big expensive bill nearly straight after buying the disco

thank you in advance

nick

Post #66252719th Jun 2010 10:09 pm
kernowexpeditionaryforce

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

hi m8, that sort of age would be a very early one - whats the budget?

Post #66252919th Jun 2010 10:19 pm
kernowd3

United Kingdom 

i think with out calling the misses again as im up in the mids for abit its about 15k

we just dont know that spec ect...

nick

Post #66253319th Jun 2010 10:22 pm
al cope

England 

2004 is when the D3 came out. I personally wouldn't touch an early one, using the principal that you never want one of the first years production of any landrover model. Wait until the initial bugs/issues are sorted and then you are generally better off. Saying that, the D3 quality is far better than any previous Discovery model (and I've had 7, right back to a 200TDi).

Given the hike in road tax on the D3 on models after March 2006, I'd go for a Jan/Feb 06 model if you want to keep an eye on costs.

hope this helps
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #66253419th Jun 2010 10:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kernowd3

United Kingdom 

cheers al much apprecated

what type of spec would be the best to go for with our budget??

nick

Post #66253719th Jun 2010 10:24 pm
kernowexpeditionaryforce

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

mines an early march 06' so just missed the tax hike! prices are all over the place so do shop around, low mileage was important to me, wasnt bothered about sat nav and i hate leather seats, but wanted heated seats, screen etc and good sound system so i ended up with an S spec, as all landrovers - never without some irritating problem but when your up to the bonnet in water, fish and mud nothing else does the job better Thumbs Up

Post #66254819th Jun 2010 10:57 pm
chrisc

England 

You may find an older hse which is the spec that everyone seems to want but don't rule out any other models ,mines a late 06 S model(£405 road tax)but had loads of extras fitted like a phone system and what I would call a winter pack all apart from leather seats which is what I had in my last d2 and sat nav but I hear they aren't that good anyway,good luck in finding your d3

Post #66254919th Jun 2010 10:58 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome Nick!

Don't go for the bottom of the range coils spring spec. After that it really doesn't make much of a difference as you can retro-fit almost anything - all the holes and captive nuts are there, and the wiring harness has virtually every plug, relay socket and connector already wired, and the trim snaps apart like Lego. There are lots of posts on the forum about adding things - even some of which LR claim can't be done!

Enjoy!
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #66255019th Jun 2010 11:00 pm
kernowd3

United Kingdom 

cheers all 3 of you gave me loads to think about the other thing is is it more expensive for a manual or something as i cant ever seem to find that many as the misses hates auto's and wont drive one as she cant get on with the 2 pedals as my auto est i have got she thinks shes in a manual and braking ends up bein a emergency stop sometimes :lol:and that is one big thing i know she will want as she will be using it 99% of the time untill i use it off road the odd time

the tax dont really bother me as i know it is expensive but to me they are a very nice bus and stunning looks ect... but as there is 6 of us thats why were really thinking about one instead of anything else and i do prefer a disco to anything else and i think i have got the misses really intrested in them aswell as she has said its got to be black and im not even going to go into the wheels she wants Laughing i dont care as shes going to be driving it and i will change the wheels over for off road

we was thinking either the se or the hse models just for the extras on them and add a few other bits over time to her

once again thanks for the help already on this its much apprecated Thumbs Up

Nick

Post #66257820th Jun 2010 12:17 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Most D3's are automatic transmission, because it is such a good gearbox. Unfortunately for your wife, with the trim level you are after (SE or HSE) the manual cars are very rare. The car was standard auto on the higher trim levels, and you could option manual gears if you wanted them.

You are more likely to find manual on a base, or S trim level, as they were manual gears as standard.

Post #66260120th Jun 2010 8:29 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

or on the XS which fits between S and HS in the model range in some years.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #66263320th Jun 2010 10:42 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

There are currently a few very nice examples on here for sale but they are about 18k so may be out of your price range but they would be worth a look if you could stretch
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #66263920th Jun 2010 10:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Harvoy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome to the site Thumbs Up
I bought a late 56 plate HSE with only 21k miles on it for a bit less than £20k; so you should be able to find somthing similar on a private sale if you look around.
As for the gearbox, I have to say that I was a dedicated manual gearbox guy until I drove an auto and Can honestly say that I have NEVER looked back; they are fabulous to drive, even my wife thinks so!
Good luck with your search.
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #66306421st Jun 2010 5:37 pm
Alan G

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

For that money you are maybe looking at a 54-05 plate, anyone?

The early S spec cars came with Xeons, heated seats and a few other bits, but no satnav as standard.

My father has a Nov 2004 S model, but only has 30k on the clock, so no major problem except for the original compressor being replace for the upgraded one and EGR valves being replaced.

If you're lucky, you might find one like this and you're still on the cheap road tax bracket as well.
 ATB

Alan

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bonzo676767#p/u 

Post #66318821st Jun 2010 9:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >