Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Is my auto 'normal'?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AJCvinylsigns

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Is my auto 'normal'?

Having had my first D3 (manual) written off (see gallery for crunch pic) and been given a D4 HSE (auto) as courtesy vehicle, I very quickly realised that auto was the way forward.

I've since changed to a D3 AUTO, only done just over 30K miles but I've noticed two things which the D4 auto didn't do:

1) My D3 has a noticeable delay (sometimes more noticeable than others) under hard acceleration both off the mark and through the gears. Almost bears similarities to the feeling my previous D3 had during EGR problems ie seems to need to get to almost 2K rpm before taking off.

2) The engine and transmission are as quiet as can be expected but there is a noticeable whining noise at exactly 20mph. It is definately transmission rather than engine noise and is annoying as you can almost simulate a distant emergency service vehicle siren if you accelerateand decelerate through the 20mph zone.

It's under warranty with Stratstone so I'll take it back at some point but wondered how normal these symptoms are having never driven another D3 auto.

Thanks

Post #6577057th Jun 2010 10:10 pm
flinty99

England 

In answer to Q1, the delay is normal unfortunately. One way to reduce this I'm told is to get a remap.

Q2. Not noticed that on mine. But then by the time I hit 20 I have the wind noise from the Expo and wheel rumble from the MTR's.

Is the Warranty a Stratsone own or a LR one? If its the latter I would use Team Valley. Far better service Whistle
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #6577257th Jun 2010 10:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Mine has just had the EGR's sorted under warranty and there is a 'lag' between about 1600-2000rpm. Like you say reminiscent of the original EGR problem itself Rolling Eyes

Can't say I noticed this lag when the EGR's were all OK but have been driving a different car a lot more so hard to say for definite but on the flip side it goes better further up the rev range than I remembered before the RGR work was done.

Can't say I notice any transmission rumble at low speed.

Post #6577277th Jun 2010 10:31 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

Have both on mine, the lag is normal so I am told, my lag is when I drive up to a roundabout, come off the gas, look for a gap, hit the gas and nothing happens for a second or two, then takes off like a rocket.

The whine has been bothering me, the vehicle is a month out of waranty so maybe some good will from Land Rover if there is something wrong.

A remap has helped with the Lag problem.

I will be interested in your results of the visit to the stealers.

Glen
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #6578108th Jun 2010 6:53 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well...No 1. for me as well...But don't take that as "normal". I have had the EGR's replaced and had a couple of software updates to try and cure the intermittently recurring Engine System Fault Message.

I don't have much smooth pull just below 2,000 revs in a high gear - it has to drop a gear.

What about going up hills - can it do it in 6th at motorway speeds ? (Mine doesn't and to be honest I might just be paranoid about it all due to the ongoing fault message over he last 12 months...)
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #6578128th Jun 2010 7:09 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Point 1 - sounds normal(ish)
Point 2 - what mileage have you got on your tyres - happenned to me twice on mine and I was convinced it was transmission related - tyre change fixed it

Post #6578138th Jun 2010 7:10 am
AJCvinylsigns

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Pull is pretty instant through the gears, up bank at any speed, happy with gear change etc, previous post hit the nail on the head - come off the gas, look for a gap, floor it and nothing happens for upto 2 seconds.

As far as the whining at 20 mph it is 100% transmission. Standing still in neutral through the rev range there is NO whining, free wheeling (in neutral) or driven (in D) through 20mph mark produces same whining.

I know it's not tyres as it did it with LR fitted Scorpions and now on 20" Stormers with brand new rubber and still does it.

Will see what LR come up with when I have these two issues investigated and let you know the outcome.

Post #6582378th Jun 2010 9:45 pm
Ollie27

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi, I'm in Washington, I have an Auto with 16,000 miles on the clock. I can take you out in it so you can compare it with yours if you would like. It also has a remap courtesy of BAS, I can easily return it to normal though to compare with yours

Yes the remap definetely removed the hesitation

Ollie
 2007 HSE Stornoway with Alpacca
1964 Landy 88" & 1983 Landy 109"
2008 Volvo C30 

Post #6586169th Jun 2010 6:50 pm
GSLRO

England 

flinty99 wrote:
Is the Warranty a Stratsone own or a LR one? If its the latter I would use Team Valley. Far better service Whistle

Second the TVLR. I had mine into Stratstones earlier this year Censored muppets, they are Jag Techs, if it is LR warranty you will get good service from TV and just as important piece of mind Shocked well as much as you can with a Landy Whistle
 Club N.E.R.D.s  
Post #6586649th Jun 2010 8:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave

United Kingdom 

Q2, tyre change was required for me to, although it also occured around 55mph aswell for me
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #6586829th Jun 2010 9:09 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

Almost forgot: Q1, I have driven 3 x D3 autos, 2 without remap and one with, all 2006 Model Year. The one with remap does not have the delay, however, I would not be one to endorse or recomend remapping, just saying like. Its a lot of cash and if my D3 had not come already perked up I would not have done it myself.

Whatever you do though, dont start a remap thread Whistle Rolling with laughter
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #6586849th Jun 2010 9:14 pm
jonp

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

My D3 auto does not seem to have any lag and accelerates very well . If I put the gear lever to the left in Sport mode it is even better .I always tend to use sport mode at roundabouts and road junctions etc. I thought the gear box had a self learning mode that adjusts itself to yor style of driving ? I will not be bothering with a remap myself as it is fast enouvgh for me . I also have a 1998 300 Tdi Disco 1 Auto now that gear change is really slow !!!! Regards Jonathan

Post #66055114th Jun 2010 7:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >