Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

much better towing experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Russell

United Kingdom 

With the D4 I was getting more towin than solo!!!!!!!!!!!!! 24/25 on trip compared to 22/23 solo. However had soem work done on it (new EGR valve) and now seem to be getting 25/26 solo and about the same towing, however the towing was only about 30 miles so not very accurate.
Off to France start of August with twin axle caravan, going to a site near Le Manns, been there before and is great especially for the kids as they lay on entertainment even for teenagers.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #6578618th Jun 2010 8:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Off to the Vendee mid July for 3 weeks. First time without the kids Mr. Green :

We are really looking forward to it, especially as it will be much cheaper.

I 'm getting between 22 and 23 mpg when towing now. Downsized from the twin-axle Elddis to a single-axle Bailey Pegasus and it's made a big difference to the fuel economy Thumbs Up .
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #6579188th Jun 2010 10:30 am
hensoni

United Kingdom 

sorry to get this back on topic (I'm only jealous 'cos I'm working throughout Aug...).

By "command shift" do you mean leaving the lever in the sport position and leaving it as an auto or do you mean actually stirring the gearstick as a clutchless manual?

I'm disappointed by the D3's mpg when towing but I can try the sport / command shift this weekend to eke out the economy.

Cheers

Ian H
 Club missing my D3  
Post #6579208th Jun 2010 10:33 am
wilsonmg

England 

On the MPG side I would think there are a number of things at play that effects the MPG so it will be always difficult to compare... Weight of the van (ie how much extra SWMBO sneaked in when you where polishing the car), the traffic (stop starting), wind (how strong and what direction), the type of roads (drawn out hills will eat fuel, especially as you will not want to slow down Whistle )... the state of tune of your D3 (I get a lot better MPG towing after I got it re-mapped)... how late you are for the ferry Whistle

I used to tow with a manual, but now with an auto, there is no way I would go back.. and put up with the 2 MPG or so reduction... just stick on the cruise control and relax Thumbs Up
 Still miss my D3 Sad  
Post #6579238th Jun 2010 10:43 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Command shift means putting the selector to the Sport position, then pushing it forward and back to change up and down.

I mostly leave mine in auto and let it get on with it but sometimes I'll use command shift to 'force' the gearbox into 6th if it seems reluctant to change up.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #6579248th Jun 2010 10:45 am
al cope

England 

I used mine to manually shift, or keep it in 5th, rather than letting it change up to 6th, as mine ran much better by staying just above 2000 rpm (6th at 60 was about 1800 rpm, and it seemed to be having to work too hard, with lower economy). Also, I could anticipate a down change, rather than floor it to get kickdown, with command shift giving a much faster/smoother downchange than you can get with a manaul.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #6579338th Jun 2010 11:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
t7mbo

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Just got back from the Black Forest and towed our new Pegasus 646 for the first time. Went a dream and we achieved 21mpg average for the trip.
Off to Tuscany in August!

Post #65896710th Jun 2010 3:01 pm
t7mbo

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Russell wrote:
Al
do you not fancy the D3/D4 camping weekend in September, in Banbury, not to far for you to go.

where can I find details of this?

Post #65896810th Jun 2010 3:02 pm
al cope

England 

just an update - just finished putting my fual receipts into my faithful s/sheet, and over 595 miles, of which 350 were towing, another 100 belting the brains out of it, the rest tootling about - actual MPG was 22.94 (trip comp showing 25.2). Still think the fuel gauge needle has too much weight on the end of it, gets pulled down much too quickly Shocked

Russel - is the details in the events bit?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #65897510th Jun 2010 3:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >