Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tow Bar Electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sst

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Tow Bar Electrics

Having been a member of this site for only a few days and having made a couple of posts I already appreciate the input from the Disco3 members. Thank Everyone !

So here I go again with more questions!

I bought myself the Tow Bar Electrics set and having looked at the fitting instructions on the LR website I thought it would be easy to fit myself.

All went well until I was supposed to fix the cables to the inside of the rear bumper. The spare wheel was off and I managed (just!) to get the wires and plugs fed over the top of the 'wobbly weight' (what the hell is that for?) but I could not clip the small plugs into the holes as illustrated in the pictures. So the cables are tucked away in a recess along the inside of the bumper but are largely unsecured. I can't imagine it is a problem, but if anyone knows a way of getting them secured properly please let me know as I can easily go back and try again.

Then the instructions go on to show sticky foam being wrapped around the plugs behind the rear light. Easy enough to do, but is this just simply to stop any rattle or am a missing something here? And if anyone has the instructions handy - what is that grey bag thing in Step 28?

The electrics have been tested and are working fine so it has been a success it just annoys me when I can't get it perfect !!

As you probably picked up from my terminology and descriptions I don't know much about cars - I know the ones I like and I know how to drive, that is about my limit.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
 Si

TDV6 S Auto 2006 Silver, Privacy Glass, Integrated Phone 

Post #687326th Jul 2006 9:48 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

ISTR not being able to get all the clips in either, used a few well placed cable ties to make sure it wouldn't move around

Yes, the foam is to stop it rattling

I supect the grey bag is more foam Confused

Don't forget you now need to get a dealer to 'activate' the electrics. Yes they work anyway but your D3 needs to know they're there so it doesn't do suspension tricks with a trailer attached
 The End  
Post #687376th Jul 2006 10:01 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've just fitted them last weekend too. I found that I could only get the first two cable clips (push in plugs) in place. The rest of the cable just lies okay above the wobbly weights.
I really struggled to get one of the connector blocks push together behind the bumper section below the rear light. The cable was too short - or my routing was wrong. Yes, the foam is just to stop them rattling. I've only got foam on two of my plugs.

Interesting about the dealer activating them, Slimer. What exactly is wrong if you leave it?
 Matt  
Post #687576th Jul 2006 11:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

had the same problems too.

Getting the cables past the rear weights is a real squeeze!
These weights are for dynamic resonance control- noise and handling.
The grey thing is foam padding.
As for the electrics being 'enabled' on the car, this is a setting which apparently tells the car not to mess round with height adjustment when a trailer is attached. For example, you wouldn't want the car to go to off-road height, otherwise the tail of the trailer could ground. Likewise going to access height may foul the towbar bit.

Hope that makes sense.

Other than that, it's pretty easy to fit the electrics. I'm glad I didn't pay some YTS mechanic £100 labour for the privilege.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #687747th Jul 2006 8:06 am
Pelyma

England 

It will go into off road height, it is extended mode I think, unless you tow off road I can't see the issue. But my only concern is if it is used against you for some reason at warranty time. Our Aussie members will probably best tell you what it does to towing off road.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #687867th Jul 2006 9:04 am
sst

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just as I expected, this forum has given me all the answers I needed, so many thanks to everyone for replying.

Thanks to Slimer to pointing out about having the 'electrics activitated'. This is something I will definitely look into. The primary reason for the electrics and multi-height tow bar is just for a bike rack so I am not too concerned about the suspension doing weird things at present

I was assured by the dealer that sold me the electrics that self-fitting in no way affects warranty, so long as you fit genuine parts.
 Si

TDV6 S Auto 2006 Silver, Privacy Glass, Integrated Phone 

Post #688177th Jul 2006 10:07 am
DiscoMad

Fitting all the clips is very fiddly bit can be done. I found that I had to put it all into position before i tried to fit any clips or you cant do it.
Also since it is a finger tip exercise, some suitable aids such as bent nose pliers coime in handy.
One clip (the strange one with the long arm has a retaining pin down its centre and if this is pushed too far in you wont ever get the cable clip into the hole.
If you are happy then just leave what you have done, but as I say, I fitted them all without removing anything - just took ages and I had grazed and blackened hands !

Post #688237th Jul 2006 10:20 am
Sam7

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

The car needs to be put on "T4" at the dealership to tell it that it has electrics fitted for various reasons such as the rear PDC will be deactivated when reverse is selected and Terrain Response will react in different ways when towing. The car needs to know when it is pulling a trailer, this happens when you plug in the trailer lights but the car will only know if it has been told it has a tow pack fitted. Hope this is of use.

Post #691638th Jul 2006 7:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >