Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Solving the Key Fob mystery once and for all. SOLVED!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Solving the Key Fob mystery once and for all. SOLVED!!!

Having a second key fob gone bust within a year looking at the cheap offers on ebay I won a auction for a brand new uncut key fob for just a fiver.

Thinking I struck a good deal since I only needed to swap/cut the blade and have it coded I spoke to Wiggs who told me that each key has a transponder to deactivate the imobilizer in the car. Apparently this transponder is matched by Landrover and cannot be done by a dealer/faulmate. I know that when you order a key fob from a dealer it's done by the VIN number of your car. So now I have a key which can be coded to open the doors but can never start the car.

Then I though, since by now I have 2 broken keys, I can take the transponder of the old key and and place that onto the new key.
I opened the key and looked at the circuit board but I cannot find a transponder which should be an obvious part.

I already PM Colin form BBS to see what he has to say.
If there is anybody else out there with thoughts/experience about this then please share it.

It would be good to finaly get the tale of the cheap ebay key fob solved and put it in the Wiki.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS 

Last edited by Renton on 15th Jun 2010 11:37 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #65394427th May 2010 8:10 pm
Renton

BBS SPY wrote:
Following a PM about this transponder thing i mentioned in my prior post on this thread, i thought it better to post up a bit of a better explaination here so anyoneone who is interested can read it and might benefit.

I dunno how i happen to know so much about them as i have never had any real big reason or cause to play with them although before writing diagnostic software for any system i do tend to figure out how it all works first.

Typically (dispensing with the phsicallities of the blade part and concentrating on just the electronic part(s)) modern key fobs do 2 absolutely and totally seperate jobs.

The first is to provide a remote (typically to 10 or 20 feet) radio link to the vehicles alarm / Body control with a couple of buttons to Lock and arm the vehicles alarm. This capability typically requires battery power of some form or other, a microcontroller to handle everything, buttons, a memory chip to provide individul per key data that stops other keys from unlocking the car, an RF circuit and usually an antennea track or chip. Basically a small PCB. Other buttons can be piggy backed on this to provide other remote controlled functionality. Typically there will be an antennea to an alarm or Body control ECU or a remote reciever module located in the vehicle for this and in the cae of the D3 this remote receiver module is located in the roof on the mid cross beam strenthener, about mid point in the car.

Digressing for a moment i should tell you that I once fixed a week old car for a dealer where, the car started and drove fine but would not remotely lock and unlock. Turned out one of the small bolt for the receiver module which also provided it with earth was not fully screwed in from factory. soon tightened and fixed. When later explaining the find / fix to the SM, i was stunned by the story of a mechanic who swapped the receiver out on a new Sport but somehow got the bolts mixed up and refitted a slightly longer one resulting in a nice bulging dink in the roof skin that required some serious panel beating filling and re spraying to fix. Rolling Eyes

The second job a key fob does is to mobilise the engine management. Typically there will be an Immobilizer ECU such as the EWS3D used by Freelanders and L322's (FFRR's to you) located in a very hard to reach place in the vehicle, This is connected with a data link to the engine management over which it sends rolling code info that causes the EMS to start. It is also coupled to a circular coil that is located around the face of the Ign Key barrel.
When a key is inserted and the IGN turned on, The Immobilizer ECU feeds Power to this coil which creates a field of electromagnetic energy.
This energy is picked up by a small chip in the key fob which is typically fitted as close to the key blade part of the fob as possible, has no legs and really just looks like a broken bit of plastic.
http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/images/Slideshow2.jpg
These chips (generally referred to as transponders) are industry standard and some even contain programmable memory.

The electromagnatic energy is enough to power them and they then transmit data at a frequency that is picked up by the coil and relayed to the Immobilizer ECU which can then transmit back to the transponderif required but ultimately its job is to validate the transponders presence and allow the engine to start.

Most often the transponder and radio bits are fitted in the same key fob as it is in my 2003 L322 Key / fob. but the fact that they are seperate elements is shown by the fact that for a new key i would have to learn the fob to the Body control so it locks and unlocks the doors and then diagnostically tell the EWS3D ecu to accept a new key so the engine will start. however a 2001 on freelander has the transponder in the Key but the door / Alarm bit is a seperate fob.

In the case of the Disco 3, things are a bit different and it is only due to my having such detailed and prior understanding of what i have just explained that i am so interested and intrigued to note that there is a space specifically designed in the casing specifically for an industry standard transponder chip that is not used. Perhaps a back up plan Wink

As such i can only conclude that the 2 elements have been sucessfully combined and in the process the electromagnetic power picked up from the coil is now used to chage the fobs battery.

As such all memory for both functions must reside in the single on board micro controller located between the two primary buttons.

In addition, although a new fob can be learned to any vehicle, once learned it cannot then be re learned to another, so something is stored in the key fob.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #65395027th May 2010 8:22 pm
Renton

Many thanks Colin Thumbs Up
As always impressed by your knowledge.

The question which remains then is if you buy a new and uncoded key from, let's say Ebay, can you get it to open/close and start the car?

Can you learn the key both Body and Transponder codes and can this be done by a dealer/faulmate?
If not, can you swap the ECU from the old key onto the new?
Or can you use the transponder function from an old key to start the car with a new key by using them back to back?
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #65395527th May 2010 8:33 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Renton.

I thought i had covered this in my previous and long (no surprises there) post

But to sum up.

If you buy a new key that has never been learned to any car then, yes, a dealers IDS or a Faultmate MV system can learn it and it will then lock / Unlock doors and start the car. Note you need all kesys to be present for this if you want them to still work.

If i was going to try and move the programmed part / identity of one key fob to another i would swap the surface mount micro controller located between the two primary buttons. However i would do this only as a last resort as it is just possible that the microcontroller might have had calibration info entered into it to suit the other tuned componets of the Fobs electronics.

Post #65507731st May 2010 5:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renton

So if I understand correct; a key fob unused/unlearned, not ordered on VIN, can be coded by an IDS or faulmate so the car will start?

From what I understood only a key fob ordered on VIN could start the car. So this is not true?
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #65508631st May 2010 5:45 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yes and No
As i understand it, a key fob is ordered from a Main dealer by VIN only so the blade supplied with it is correctly cut, it still needs learning to the vehicle. If you buy one via EBAY and are willing to take care of the physical blade aspects yourself, then it just needs learning with either IDS or a faultmte

Post #65509731st May 2010 6:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renton

The key blade is the easy part since its a question of removing the small pin on top of the key blade.

Then there's only one thing left to proof this theory to be correct. I will make an appointment with the dealer to learn the keys.

Thanks Colin! Thumbs Up
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #65510631st May 2010 6:34 pm
phil2174

England 

How did you get on Renton any joy Question

Post #65919610th Jun 2010 10:56 pm
Renton

I will know more on Tuesday. Car is at the dealer now for the brake issue and the y will code the key as well.
Fingers crossed ..........
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #65934511th Jun 2010 10:36 am
phil2174

England 

Good luck Wink

Post #65943311th Jun 2010 2:44 pm
Renton

SOLVED!!

Had the 5.00 pound ebay keyfob coded and it works!! Whistle

We know now that the imobolizer/transponder is not being read in the LR factory. All functions can be learned by a dealer/faulmate. The only thing when you order a key on your VIN number is that you get a cut keyblade.
But this is not a real issue because you can very easily remove the blade from your old key by pushing out the small pin on top of the blade or have it cut by a locksmith.

So you can buy a (cheap) keyfob from (for example) fleabay but make sure its uncoded/unused.
According to Colin (BBS Spy) a used learned/coded keyfob cannot be coded to another vehicle.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS 

Last edited by Renton on 15th Jun 2010 3:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #66077315th Jun 2010 11:55 am
flinty99

England 

Well done Bow down Bow down Glad to know these work ok.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #66078315th Jun 2010 12:18 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Great news Very Happy
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #66086315th Jun 2010 3:32 pm
Renton

wiggs wrote:
Great news Very Happy

Very happy at the moment Very Happy
Having a cheap LR period for a change.
Cheap new keyfob and a new vacuum brake system under warranty Whistle
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #66088215th Jun 2010 4:03 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well done Renton, I also baught a keyfob with blank keyblade from fleabay and learned the hard way if you need a second key for your car buy it from LR, so thanks to you experince I will keep the fob for when one of the other two keys fail. Why have your keyfobs failed, did you never use the failed one? Seeing they need charging while in the ignition?

Post #66089315th Jun 2010 4:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >